closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: smiths w10 original lug to lug dimensions?

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5

    smiths w10 original lug to lug dimensions?

    Been deciding whether to go for the original Smiths w10 or Eddie's beautiful modern remake of it, (PRS29)

    Upon my research online.... I seem to have come across conflicting information regarding the lug to lug length of the original Smiths W10. Some say it's 40mm, others say its 46.

    Hope to get some confirmation regarding this subject!

  2. #2
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    9,137

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Thank you! Wow, looks like the dimensions are pretty spot on to the original.

    Do you have a recommendation on which route to go?

    I love the historical aspect of owning a vintage one but are availability of spare parts an issue for it?

  4. #4
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    9,137
    It depends on how comfortable you are with wearing vintage. Servicing isn't much of an issue and there are a great number of 60466E movements out there (which is based on the 27.CS).

    The PRS-29A is fantastic quality and value and feels like more of an everyday watch, not so much concern about clacking it on doorframes. However it doesn't have quite the same warmth that comes with age. I let mine go in a charity raffle but have since replaced it with a PRS-29AM.

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It depends on how comfortable you are with wearing vintage. Servicing isn't much of an issue and there are a great number of 60466E movements out there (which is based on the 27.CS).

    The PRS-29A is fantastic quality and value and feels like more of an everyday watch, not so much concern about clacking it on doorframes. However it doesn't have quite the same warmth that comes with age. I let mine go in a charity raffle but have since replaced it with a PRS-29AM.
    Thank you, I'll definitely take that into consideration. Lastly, do you know if the new PRS29A has a screw down crown?

  6. #6
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    9,137
    Quote Originally Posted by brand_c View Post
    Lastly, do you know if the new PRS29A has a screw down crown?
    It does not.

    BTW, Welcome to the forum. Please do share what you decide on.

  7. #7
    Journeyman Redcoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by brand_c View Post
    Thank you, I'll definitely take that into consideration. Lastly, do you know if the new PRS29A has a screw down crown?
    Due to being a handwinder, you’ll be glad it doesn’t have a screw down crown as the threads would eventually get worn down. Only a divers watch should have it.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield Yorkshire
    Posts
    62

    spare parts for Original Smiths W10

    Quote Originally Posted by brand_c View Post
    Thank you! Wow, looks like the dimensions are pretty spot on to the original.

    Do you have a recommendation on which route to go?

    I love the historical aspect of owning a vintage one but are availability of spare parts an issue for it?
    Hi, spare parts for the Smiths W10 is not an issue, If you do decide to get one (I have some mint examples by the way) I can supply every part you may need.
    + most other Smiths watch parts too. scroll to the bottom of my A-Z of spares. http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com/partsmenu.htm
    I also have crowns, glasses etc & other parts for most British military issued watches especially for the WWW's (not actually listed on my website so please ask)
    regards
    John Senior.

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Due to being a handwinder, you’ll be glad it doesn’t have a screw down crown as the threads would eventually get worn down. Only a divers watch should have it.
    Good to know! I was hoping that it doesn't cause I worry about crown wear and tear considering it's a handwind. This was what detracted me from owning an OysterDate 6694 at one point.

  10. #10
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tokdok View Post
    Hi, spare parts for the Smiths W10 is not an issue, If you do decide to get one (I have some mint examples by the way) I can supply every part you may need.
    + most other Smiths watch parts too. scroll to the bottom of my A-Z of spares. http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com/partsmenu.htm
    I also have crowns, glasses etc & other parts for most British military issued watches especially for the WWW's (not actually listed on my website so please ask)
    regards
    John Senior.
    Thanks! Will let you know on what I decide :)

  11. #11
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,395
    Quote Originally Posted by tokdok View Post
    Hi, spare parts for the Smiths W10 is not an issue, If you do decide to get one (I have some mint examples by the way) I can supply every part you may need.
    + most other Smiths watch parts too. scroll to the bottom of my A-Z of spares. http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com/partsmenu.htm
    I also have crowns, glasses etc & other parts for most British military issued watches especially for the WWW's (not actually listed on my website so please ask)
    regards
    John Senior.
    I'm surprised you can supply all parts, I've struggled to find winding click springs and centre seconds pinions for years. Even the man from Ystradgynlais who bought tons of Smiths spares when the factory closed ran out of those two parts.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •