closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega's Naiad Lock

Omega's Naiad Lock

Omega's Naiad Lock for screw-down casebacks was introduced in 2016 and is meant to ensure that the back is always properly aligned to display any engravings etc correctly.

Have any of the watchmakers on the forum had to deal with this system, please? What does it involve and is it easy to cope with?

I'm asking out of interest only.

Master
    I wonder if it's like the old Poljots where the caseback is held in place with a screw down ring?

This gives a hint as to it's construction. All I can find atm.

Presumably you'd have to apply some (?) downward pressure to fit and release the caseback. You'd then twist and it'd pop in or out of the lock/release position. Bayonet as it were.

The other way it might work (from something else I've read) is a gradually, wavy, profiled 'stepped' incline. So as you tighten down the back it squashes down the gasket until you get to a machined 'stop point'.

Either way, it appears that the gasket compression is doing much of the locking.

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/railway-worker-testing-the-omega-seamaster-railmaster/

Last edited by Mouse; 26th May 2019 at 21:38.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Omega's Naiad Lock for screw-down casebacks was introduced in 2016 and is meant to ensure that the back is always properly aligned to display any engravings etc correctly.

Have any of the watchmakers on the forum had to deal with this system, please? What does it involve and is it easy to cope with?

I'm asking out of interest only.
    My understanding is that it has a preset dynometric torque thingymibob in the handle to stop the case back from being over tightened (stops ceramic cases from getting damaged by heavy handed watchmakers)

If you want the details......and you're a better man than me if you can understand them

Bloomin' complicated invention just to make caseback text line up! Whatever next.

https://patents.patsnap.com/v/US1007...for-watch.html
    Last edited by Mouse; 26th May 2019 at 22:51.

Thanks one and all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This gives a hint as to it's construction. All I can find atm.

Presumably you'd have to apply some (?) downward pressure to fit and release the caseback. You'd then twist and it'd pop in or out of the lock/release position. Bayonet as it were.

The other way it might work (from something else I've read) is a gradually, wavy, profiled 'stepped' incline. So as you tighten down the back it squashes down the gasket until you get to a machined 'stop point'.

Either way, it appears that the gasket compression is doing much of the locking.

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/railway-worker-testing-the-omega-seamaster-railmaster/

Their photo (link) shows the three detents that must do the positioning. What we now need is a picture of the reverse of the caseback.

With all that spare room around the 8806...might not a few gems be fitted in there? How long before the Border Force start opening up watched looking for high value smuggled items? Just a thought...