closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Red Wing boots

Craftsman

Red Wing boots

Afternoon all.

Looking to get a pair of Iron Ranger boots. Sizing can be issue with this model so how far a size have forum owners dropped? I read it can be half to a full size?

Also, if anyone knows of any UK retailers with a sale or sign up deal it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

I don't have iron rangers but do have 4 other types of red wing boots and 7 in total. You just have to try them on. Every model has a different fit and I have 3 different sizes. If you order line order a few sizes but much better to go in person.

Can’t help on that particular model but I have 3 pairs of Red Wings and in spite of all the comments on sizing, I’m a UK11 and that’s the size I take in all 3 boots! - I have wide feet and they’re actually slightly tight when new, to the point of discomfort - but after a few hours wear they fit perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sizing with red wing is a bit iffy imo.

I’m a UK 8.

UK size 8 in the chukka boots.

UK size 7.5 in the blacksmith boots.

UK size 7 in the rover boots.

I’d advise visiting a stockist rather than buying online, the store in London are very helpful.

Look at the lasts that they are made on for a rough idea.

Couldn't tell you about the sizing. There is a Red Wing store on Carnaby Street in London but that's about it in the UK I think.

Master

Red Wing boots

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Afternoon all.

Looking to get a pair of Iron Ranger boots. Sizing can be issue with this model so how far a size have forum owners dropped? I read it can be half to a full size?

Also, if anyone knows of any UK retailers with a sale or sign up deal it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    Good choice!

I have some Iron Rangers and Moc’s. You should go and try them on before you buy. I’m a UK size 10 in most shoes but a 9 in Redwing Heritage boots.

Go to the Newburgh St store where you’ll be able to see the full range of colours and styles, try different ones on and make sure you get the right fit.

I found my usual size is just right in the Iron Rangers. Breaking them in is another matter, but worth it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Like everything shoe wise, everyone is different. The chap in the RW store said it’s more about the width than the length.

I am a uk 11 and they fit true to size on me. They are a narrow boot though (around the middle / arch / heal) so take a bit of wearing in.
    Once broken in I can’t fault them.

I’ve got a couple of pairs - 9.5 in Iron Rangers, 10.5 in Timberlands, 11s in Adidas/Nikes etc.

Hell of a break in, so you should feel like they’re too small for at least a week IMO. Especially with the Rough & Tough.

Just like Barbour jackets they need trying before buying,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I'd say true to size on iron ranger or size up if you have large wide feet as they are narrow.

Master
    Ugh, ugly hipster shoes imo of course

Master
    I have engineers at size 9 and that's pretty much what I am but foot shape I so important. Best get to Carnaby Street and try them on. Nice people in there

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Worth noting there is another shop in Covent Garden called American Classics on Endell Street. IIRC it's owned by the same guy who owns the Red Wing store just off Carnaby. Less selection but if one is out of stock the other might have it. Have bought from both.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Ugh, ugly hipster shoes imo of course
    That’s a really helpful contribution. I’m sure the OP’s very grateful for your thoughts.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Worth noting there is another shop in Covent Garden called American Classics on Endell Street. IIRC it's owned by the same guy who owns the Red Wing store just off Carnaby. Less selection but if one is out of stock the other might have it. Have bought from both.
    I purchased my Iron Rangers from American Classics and they're the best boots I've ever worn. I would concur with everybody else's comments about trying them on first. I'm a UK7.5 but US8 and this is what I bought. If you're buying online you may need to clarify this as some retailers don't specify this. Also they do tend to set off the metal detectors at airports so be prepared to take them off.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for all the informative posts and advice. Genuinely appreciated.

I won’t be in London for a bit so it looks like it will have to be an online purchase. Annoying as was there last month with work. I had some time to spare and rushed back to Heathrow from Chelsea thinking I could get an earlier flight. There were no earlier flights....

Back to the boots themselves, much like this thread there seems to be no real consistency when it comes to the downsizing. I may have to start 0.5 down and work from there. The one piece of consistency though are the reviews. Overwhelmingly positive.

Master

I won’t be in London for a bit so it looks like it will have to be an online purchase. Annoying as was there last month with work. I had some time to spare and rushed back to Heathrow from Chelsea thinking I could get an earlier flight. There were no earlier flights....

Back to the boots themselves, much like this thread there seems to be no real consistency when it comes to the downsizing. I may have to start 0.5 down and work from there. The one piece of consistency though are the reviews. Overwhelmingly positive.
    I’d do three things in that case,
    1. Find a shop nearer if you can who stocks them, most large cities will have a stockist
    2. If 1 isn’t possible, measure your feet with a tape measure and
    3. Call the London store for advice before you buy online. They ship pretty quickly if in stock and will do returns without hassle in my experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I won’t be in London for a bit so it looks like it will have to be an online purchase.
    There are at least two Red Wing stockists listed in Aberdeen: Attic & Kafka. Schuh also carries Red Wing & have a couple of shops in Aberdeen.
    ______

​Jim.

I have a pair of Cooper Moc Toe which I bought from The R Store in Barton Arcade, Manchester (https://www.therstore.com/). I am normally a size 8 and got a size 8 in the Red Wings.

Blog Entries
    Had chuckas and two pairs of Moc toes and all been true to size for me.

Now on Danner as a replacement to MT’s and they do come up small is anyone considering. Initial thoughts are they seem a bit more beefy compared to RW.

Pitch

I have a pair of Beckman's, which are a similar style . I only went down a half size and that is a very snug fit , personally I wouldn't go any lower than that. If you can try them on, you may get away with being true to size for you. Other styles of Red Wing boots you would definitely have to come down a full size but not in the style you want.

I picked up some chukkas recently and looked at redwingheritage.com which has sizing information and care. I had to buy true to size and the shoes feel comfortably tight but with room to wiggle toes and this is the right fit. I had a quick look and this looks to apply to Iron Rangers also but can be checked with the actual shoe style number ie 3139.

After a few outings, the fit of my chukkas is much better.

I went down half a size in my Iron Rangers but bought the wide version as I found them very narrow in the standard width, I have the Blacksmiths as well and they were fine in normal width.

Craftsman
    I've my Iron Rangers about 2 years and they're an exceptional product. The Mercedes W123 of the boot world! The quality of the leather and construction is top drawer. I can see them lasting for decades.

Re sizing - I went down a full size. I took a long time in the store trying on sizes, but was glad I went for a full size down as the leather loosens a little as the boot is broken in so they fit me well and are very comfortable.