closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BB58 or Speedmaster pro

Of the two I'd go for a Tudor, but personally I'd opt for a Planet Ocean or similar. Not being a watch expert myself but having owned a Planet Ocean it feels like almost a middle ground between the two from a looks and convenience perspective (if there's such a thing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely the speedmaster has stood the test of time with regard to durability?

Master
    Speedy all day. Not even in the same league for me.

I was quoted around £600 for a BB58 bracelet so it might be better to buy with and then add a Nato afterwards

Master
    What are all these comments about young men not wanting to wind a watch every day? Surely that’s more of a grumpy old man’s domain?

Craftsman
    Speedmaster for me, no contest!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Surely the speedmaster has stood the test of time with regard to durability?
    Couldn’t agree more. Flight qualified by NASA. How many G’s is this lad likely to be pulling?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    What are all these comments about young men not wanting to wind a watch every day? Surely that’s more of a grumpy old man’s domain?
    Grumpy is the new happy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    As the owner of a Speedmaster I vote bb58. Tougher, less fragile
    Tougher and less fragile ... in comparison with the watch witch survived Hell to get certified for Nasa Missions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Tougher and less fragile ... in comparison with the watch witch survived Hell to get certified for Nasa Missions?
    That was a long time ago. Advancements have been made. My speedy after 2.5 years of use looked like a POS before I sent it for a service and now it looks perfect again but I'm less inclined to wear it these days compared to other watches as it can't take a beating. Now calm down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t think there is any argument the 58 would be more robust than the Speedy.

The decision is made now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Tudor is more robust and better weather resistance.
    What weather do you get where you live? I’ve never heard that a Speedmaster isn’t robust or isn’t up to resisting inclement weather.

The speedy is famed for being one of the most robust and reliable chronographs made.

Blog Entries
    Neither. Have a look at one of these..............(and it's an auto!)..........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That was a long time ago. Advancements have been made. My speedy after 2.5 years of use looked like a POS before I sent it for a service and now it looks perfect again but I'm less inclined to wear it these days compared to other watches as it can't take a beating. Now calm down.
    Calm as neurosurgeon before the first cut.
    Just wanted to point out that Speedy's are tougher than they appear.
    Yes, I'm sure that there are online threads and pics of leaked Speedmasters or broken pushers, but that's how it is with massive production of about anything. The point is, movement wise and watch as a whole are tough as hell.
    I also have one, and after seven years still ticks like a first minute. I don't baby it.

Master
    I wonder if the view that Speedies are less robust is due to the ‘tap’ as in you tap the hessalite and you hear the vibration, tap a sapphire and it’s completejy solid. The reality is my Certina PS with Hessalite is just as water proof as a Seiko. Indeed the Certina and Speedie shouldn’t shatter unlike a crystal.
    Omega effectively resealed a -71 of mine during a service so even a vintage Speedie can effectively be protected against water encroachment. ( Simon Freese then restored old hessalite and pushers as per my request )
    I suppose the issue is do you want a Chrono with more pushers and risk of water ingress ? or a solid cased diver.
    In terms of general robustness I’ve handled vintage Speedies, SM300’s and Subs. None of which I’d take anywhere near water.
    It would be interesting to hear if anyone regularly swims with an early 90’s Speedie? This would test it to its stated capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Neither. Have a look at one of these..............(and it's an auto!)..........
    Do you have one in blue? Would love to see more pics and in fact is a great suggestion.

Journeyman
    The Speedmaster..... and a G-Shock for when hes worried about bashing it.

Craftsman
    A tricky one. Some of the people I know in that general age bracket who are into watches feel uncomfortable with Tudor's alignment with Rolex and being thought of as their sub-brand (VAG's SEAT if you like) so would want something different and bigger than 39mm - but that's another story!

The Seamaster is a good shout but there is also a very strong chance of the 21 year old trashing their nice watch as already mentioned regardless of what he/she ends up with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Do you have one in blue? Would love to see more pics and in fact is a great suggestion.
    Yes I have.
    One of these would be a great choice coupled with something cheap for trashing.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

That's nice,OOK. Thanks.

Craftsman
    He's made his choice and went for the bb58 which is great. Far better that he decides rather than someone else. There's no point trying to explain the history and heritage etc of the speedmaster to him if he doesn't already 'get it' himself.
    It doesn't matter what make, history or heritage it does or doesn't have because now he will have a watch that he enjoys wearing all the time and he can build a bond with as he goes through life.
    My dad asked me to choose a watch for my 18th birthday--I choose a quartz Adidas chronograph!!! (it was the 90's!) I still have it and have fond memories every time I look at it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk