closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB58 or Speedmaster pro

BB58 or Speedmaster pro

I am purchasing a watch for my son and he is undecided between two models. He has narrowed it down to either a Tudor BB58 or a Speedy Pro. We have looked at both and he looks them equally although they are both quite different.

I am hoping someone may have / had both and can give me there opinion.

Craftsman
    Ultimately down to taste and looks, and depending on his age and number of watches already.

But I would say water resistance and automatic movement would win the day? So Tudor.

He is 21 and It will be his first decent watch.

Master
    Ones a diver, the other a slightly more delicate chrono. Other than for the fact they're both watches, they're hardly comparable. What is he wants from his watch? Or does he just want a piece of expensive jewellery?

Agree with the above. Best to go with his preference. Try both on at an AD and decide.

Craftsman
    As a one watch, I’d prob go BB58 if he likes it irl. I really like the idea of it on paper, but just couldn’t get on with the gilt.

There seem to be such mixed feelings for the speedy on here, and I regularly flip flop on it being one of my favourites to the next on the block, so not sure that’s a ringing endorsement!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The Speedy seems to be a watch to get into rather than a first watch .
    Did he not like the SMP? As that is a proper match up with the Tudor.
    I couldn’t see the Racing Dial Speedmasters on the Omega site. Are they dropping all the auto coloured dial ones? Seems odd if they are as I see the smaller autos far more in real life then the Moonwatch.
    The auto I believe has 100m WR, is an auto and comes in lots of funky dial options.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 23rd May 2019 at 23:33.

If he likes them both equally, it has to be the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster will still be an iconic watch in 20 years, the Tudor will be a barely remembered model in an ever changing catalogue. Bought my son a Speedmaster for his 18th about 15 years ago and neither of us regretted it for a second. The BB58 is a very nice watch by the way - I had one for a while - but a 21st present should be something that you love and keep for ever.

Journeyman
    I just bought a speedy pro and next on the list is a bb58! My suggestion is you buy him one and buy you the other and ye rotate between ye! Win win!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I currently have both and although I can't get the Speedmaster off my wrist at the moment, they are both as versatile as each other. Equally go with a suit or shorts, shirt and flip flops.
    As already said, it's down to his preference. The 58 is small, automatic, simple 3 hander with vintage inspiration. The Speedmaster is bigger, hand wound, has a complication and still looks modern.
    Tough call.

The Speedmaster is special, with great history, especially this year. I suggest going with the Omega and perhaps a Seiko or Steinhart diver for when he wants a change or something definitely aquatic.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The Speedmaster is special, with great history, especially this year. I suggest going with the Omega and perhaps a Seiko or Steinhart diver for when he wants a change or something definitely aquatic.
    ^^This

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I currently have both and although I can't get the Speedmaster off my wrist at the moment, they are both as versatile as each other. Equally go with a suit or shorts, shirt and flip flops.
    As already said, it's down to his preference. The 58 is small, automatic, simple 3 hander with vintage inspiration. The Speedmaster is bigger, hand wound, has a complication and still looks modern.
    Tough call.

Good photo, thanks this really illustrates the size difference for me!

How long have you and your son been looking? And how long until his birthday? If he's relatively new to looking at and trying on different watches and there's a while until the big day then there's no rush, and more importantly no pressure, to decide now. If it's his birthday soon perhaps you could have a conversation along the lines of "You can have which ever you choose, if that happens to be any time after your birthday then that's OK" I'm sure that you'd both wish for the correct decision to be made, maybe he needs a little more time to make it.

FWIW I don't think that I could choose between them either, though the Speedy might edge it simply due to its history.

As the owner of a Speedmaster I vote bb58. Tougher, less fragile, better looking and cheaper to service.

Master
    Speedie is a chronograph with a history. The Tudor BB is a diver with no history in 20 years time the Speedie will still be a watch with history, the Tudor will be a cheap old watch. Just my 2 pence worth.

Banned
    Small wrist I would go for the 58, larger wrist the speedmaster.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are very different.

At 21 I'd want a robust watch that would be easy to own. That means an auto with a decent WR.

The Speedy is an iconic design but it isn't as easy to own with manual winding ... he'll wake up hung over and forget to wind it and then it will stop which will be annoying and then it will get put aside.

I think the BB58 will serve him well and he can build his own relationship with a watch that is robust enough for a 21 year old. It maybe a new watch but the design is hardly modern; it's a re-issue of a 1958 design a classic divers watch but a new version.

I think the Speedy is a watch for WIS, a watch you learn to appreciate and then own. Maybe get him this for his 30th if he follows your interests ...

Master
    Is cost a consideration? I have a BB58 and have/have had a number of Speedmasters and while as noted they're very different watches I'd say they were comparible in terms of quality, however one is significantly more costly than the other. The BB58 would also leave change for doing something pretty special to mark the occasion.

Journeyman
    Speedmaster for me every time. If I think back to being 21 I would imagine the look of the watch would be the biggest factor in my decision. With that in mind I can see why the Tudor is very appealing but ultimately I think the Speedmaster is a better choice if he's going to own it longer term

you're weighing up pure heritage and pedigree vs heritage styling

either way though its a not a bad choice to have to make, I wish I had this problem when I was 21 :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Speedie is a chronograph with a history. The Tudor BB is a diver with no history in 20 years time the Speedie will still be a watch with history, the Tudor will be a cheap old watch. Just my 2 pence worth.
    Yep. But do we care about life in 2040!

Speedy for me, but at 21... probably the 58. A manual would ‘wind me up’ ( see what I did there ) as a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    For him bb58.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

There is no doubt that a BB58 will be able to accompany him on more of his life's adventures than a speedie. That makes it a better choice, imho.

For someone that age, there is no point in having a great watch left on the dressing table or in the car when you head off skiing, surfing, swimming or whatever.

Dave

Journeyman
    BB58 every time. Speedy looks good but not as robust and the movement is a lot older.

Master
    When my son turned 21, I suggested a “nice’ watch as a memento of the occasion.
    I offered to narrow the field down for him and he made his choice from them. I would suggest it’s a little risky to choose on his behalf, as you’ll inevitably choose with your taste and not his.

In the end he settled for an Omega AT quartz that he never takes off.

Craftsman
    I own both a Speedmaster and the BB58 and I find myself reaching for the Tudor most mornings (Speedy is a little too ubiquitous imo).

One is a classic, the other is a future classic :)
    Last edited by mutanthands; 24th May 2019 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I am purchasing a watch for my son and he is undecided between two models. He has narrowed it down to either a Tudor BB58 or a Speedy Pro. We have looked at both and he looks them equally although they are both quite different.

I am hoping someone may have / had both and can give me there opinion.
    I’m actually having the same conundrum for my next purchase. The BB58 is the one one I want more yet having difficulty sourcing one, which is now turning my head to the Speedy Pro. Ultimately I will have both in my collection at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm afraid I see a rather bland, generic diver and a classic, so it's no contest for me, I don't see anything that appealing in the Tudor, myself.

On the other hand, someone made a good point about a 21 year old having 'adventures' and maybe a diver is a bit more robust for such things (I'd ski in a Speedy, but I wouldn't swim, let alone dive, in one!)

Equally, though, your 21st birthday watch should be something you'll wear with pride when you're 50 or 60. Maybe that's a factor of the watch being a gift from a parent at that age, but it helps if it's something that still looks special then.

Again, to me, the Tudor doesn't...

Still, different strokes and all that...

M

Depends if he is willing to commit to the hand wound ritual. If he is, the Speedy is a watch with history, which the BB probably won't be.

So Speedy for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post

One is a classic, the other is a future classic :)
    Maybe ... time will tell. I am very pleased with my 58.

Does your son have a greater need for water resistance or a timer?

Both are nice watches but my choice would be the Speedy which is a classic that has hardly changed and is unlikely to change.

BB 58 in my opinion especially if it will be his only watch. I have a Moon watch and as much as I like it I don’t wear it often as the manual wind is annoying (if wearing it for a few days in a row and it randomly stops after forgetting to wind)

Master
    For a first chronograph Watch this is what I’d go for . Auto , 100m WR and I believe 60hr reserve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    For a first chronograph Watch this is what I’d go for . Auto , 100m WR and I believe 60hr reserve
    I went to buy one of these but at 15mm tall it doesn’t wear well, especially given it is only 40mm in diameter. I thing a manual wind watch could get irritating for a younger chap. The 58 can be warn in all situations had had a great power reserve so can be taken off and picked up over a 70 hour period and will still be going. I love my 58 and like the idea of a speedy but for me the manual movement puts me off.

Master
    As watch lovers and, well, as humans we like a narrative; a story. I think especially with milestone watches a story is really important. So maybe if your son loves watersports, diving or something then the Tudor would be the way to go. But...

As someone who got gifted a Speedmaster as my first really nice watch I think it is hard to beat, the moon story is great but the design and movement tell a story all by themselves. It is so versatile and frankly, so damn cool. Hands down the best watch by a mile in its price range imo.

I vote Speedy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both. Both were purchased to mark events in my life, therefore neither would ever be sold.

However, if I could only keep one it would be an easy call. I would keep the BB58.

Journeyman
    As others have mentioned the 58 would be the one for now and the speedy one for the future. But both are great watches good luck.

Tudor is more robust and better weather resistance.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think the Speedy is a watch for WIS, a watch you learn to appreciate and then own. Maybe get him this for his 30th if he follows your interests ...
    I think this is a good point, especially as a first foray into this world. And if he gets into it, a speedy is a much cheaper icon that he could save for than others.

The hand winding negativity is nonsense in my experience. I used to look forward to winding my speedy, and if wasn’t sure how much power was left, it’s 2 seconds to give it a top up without the faff of a screw down crown. I agree with comments in other threads how it builds a nice connection with the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There is no doubt that a BB58 will be able to accompany him on more of his life's adventures than a speedie. That makes it a better choice, imho.

For someone that age, there is no point in having a great watch left on the dressing table or in the car when you head off skiing, surfing, swimming or whatever.

Dave
    This.

Speedie pro for a special occasion. Doesn't matter if he only wears it every now and then. Unlikely he'd ever get rid of it.

Tudor generic dive watch.......wear it, trash it and move it on. More of a time sensitive fashion accessory in my opinion. More appealing new model just around the corner.

You would want a special gift to be a little special and cherished?

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    For a 21 year old it has to be the black bay
    I just cant see a 21 year old winding a watch up every couple of days
    They would need an app to remind them and another app to tell them how to do it

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

He has finally decided that it's a BB58 he wants on a nato.

Master
    He has finally decided that it's a BB58 he wants on a nato.
    I would get the bracelet and at the same time order the nato. I got 10% off mine and the bracelet is a lot more expensive to buy afterwards. Also he might get bored with having to clean the nato.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I would get the bracelet and at the same time order the nato. I got 10% off mine and the bracelet is a lot more expensive to buy afterwards. Also he might get bored with having to clean the nato.
    I do have one with a bracelet reserved if I want it but I have been offered a 10% discount if I take one with a nato so there is not a lot in it either way if he decides he wants a bracelet later on.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 26th May 2019 at 10:33.

Master
    I do have one with a bracelet reserved if I want it but I have been offered a 10% discount if I take one with a nato so there is not a lot in it either way.
    So how much is it with the NATO after discount?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    So how much is it with the NATO after discount?

Just under £2150.

£2142 to be precise!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 26th May 2019 at 10:40.

Craftsman
    Tudor for me. Simply due to it being more ruggef

Craftsman
    Rugged