closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ordered the SLA033?

Anyone ordered the SLA033?

Has anyone ordered this? I've got the SLA017 and the SLA025 and just got offered the SLA033 to arrive end June but am trying to work out if it's worth cancelling my order for the Speedy 50th and get this instead. I'm heading for an early divorce if I get both.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd May 2019 at 14:59.

Blog Entries
    Yes but you will have two cracking watches. Prefer the Seiko tbh as the 50th for me is meh!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Will be end July. Released in Japan on the 6th. I have put deposit with Jura, but probably buy in Japan when I get there.

Craftsman
    Knightsbridge boutique allow you to pre-order with a 20% refundable deposit.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Jura asked for £500.

Master
    It would be a bit huge for me... I’d stick with the speedy but don’t totally rule out the divorce option

Master
    It’s a cracking looking watch, but the price... ouch.

I think I’ll stick with my 6105 :)

Pictures have started to appear. It will be end of June then.

Available in Australia already.
    Last edited by Toshk; 21st June 2019 at 08:06.

It was the end of June after all. Mine arrives on Thursday.

Master
    Guess that’s for you to decide but it doesn’t have a patch on the original for the details. It looks to me like someone at Seiko asked a newbie to get an old 8110 in to work from, they bought one off eBay and it had a fake dial and hands.

Seiko really did produce some awesome watches in the 60’s & 70’s & they’ve got some really nice touches.

It’s just an odd concept having a reissue of a solid, working man’s tool watch which is now pitched as some sort of rich persons luxury item but looks like a softened, rounded version.

Its more of a curiosity with this one.

Not a fan of disproportionate lug size, but will give it a try. SLA017 was too thick for its size. SLA025 just too thick in general. Have a good feeling SLA033 may be ok on the wrist at 13mm.

Master
    My SLA017 is superb, hence I am very much interested, but I think it’s going to be too big, plus the price is a big ouch. So will need to see it irl and then it will really have to be amazing.

Master
    Sorry but blurrgghh

They could have at least done the crystal, one of the worst bits is the lack of crystal step and it just makes the dial look even worse.

Maybe Seiko just went to sharkey!

Note what the bevel does to the minute marks

If you’ve got a nice original, you’ve just had a big value boost!
    Last edited by jameswrx; 26th June 2019 at 08:25.

If it were a gift, I would rather have one than a 50th Speedmaster but I am not sure I would spend my money on it. I would rather have an original.
    It is a great looking watch though.

@jameswrx what is the story with your watch? Ceramic bezel? Also the hands and dial look different to others I have seen.
    Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    If it were a gift, I would rather have one than a 50th Speedmaster but I am not sure I would spend my money on it. I would rather have an original.
    It is a great looking watch though.

@jameswrx what is the story with your watch? Ceramic bezel? Also the hands and dial look different to others I have seen.
    Cheers
    Not mine. The first pic is one off IG today, and second is from a review blog online

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Not mine. The first pic is one off IG today, and second is from a review blog online
    Fair enough
    The first one does not look like any others I have seen. Wondered if it was a different variant? - doh me being stupid!!!!

The first pics looks to be the reissue
    Can’t say I am that impressed if it is.
    It’s he first close up picture I have seen. The dial printing alone means it looks poor value for money.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 26th June 2019 at 09:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Fair enough
    The first one does not look like any others I have seen. Wondered if it was a different variant? - doh me being stupid!!!!

The first pics looks to be the reissue
    Can’t say I am that impressed if it is.
    It’s he first close up picture I have seen. The dial printing alone means it looks poor value for money.
    I’m not really getting this whole Seiko reissue thing!

These watches they’re reissuing are based on the working man’s tool watches that were reasonably strong money, maybe equivalent to £900 today (and that was rrp, you’d no doubt get a discount too) but they’ve earned their cool factor through years of abuse, survival, stories and even movie appearances. And they happen to have lots of really attractive aesthetic details (deep square hour markers, bevelled crystal playing with the lines, applied logo, quirky case

It’s like we’ve been brainwashed to accept what’s going on and you hear the “it’s got a better movement” it’s got a Sapphire crystal” like those two things somehow justify the luxury price tag.

I’m sure some will think I’m being an a-hole and that’s fine but it can’t just be me that doesn’t get it.

I’d want the dial to look a darn sight better than it does for £500 let alone that money, it’s horrible.

Just think for similar money you could buy a mint, used Tudor Pelagos and an original 6105-8110.

I’m not really getting this whole Seiko reissue thing!

These watches they’re reissuing are based on the working man’s tool watches that were reasonably strong money, maybe equivalent to £900 today (and that was rrp, you’d no doubt get a discount too) but they’ve earned their cool factor through years of abuse, survival, stories and even movie appearances. And they happen to have lots of really attractive aesthetic details (deep square hour markers, bevelled crystal playing with the lines, applied logo, quirky case

It’s like we’ve been brainwashed to accept what’s going on and you hear the “it’s got a better movement” it’s got a Sapphire crystal” like those two things somehow justify the luxury price tag.

I’m sure some will think I’m being an a-hole and that’s fine but it can’t just be me that doesn’t get it.

I’d want the dial to look a darn sight better than it does for £500 let alone that money, it’s horrible.

Just think for similar money you could buy a mint, used Tudor Pelagos and an original 6105-8110.
    These watches are not for the mass - cynically it's for the slightly 'older' generation (with money) who remember these originals fondly and so a great way to extract money from that group of people. The Gundam series is another recent example.

The turtle and recreations are the modern variants for the masses. Fine watches they are too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    These watches are not for the mass - cynically it's for the slightly 'older' generation (with money) who remember these originals fondly and so a great way to extract money from that group of people. The Gundam series is another recent example.

The turtle and recreations are the modern variants for the masses. Fine watches they are too.
    The originals are nearly 50 years old I’d be hard pressed to believe there’s some misty eye’d 80 year old man wanting to spend £3500 on a reissue of a watch he’s had in his drawer for 40 years.

It’s the Instagram generation that will be buying them who are into vintage Seiko’s which is exactly why Seiko reissue these pieces.

The originals are nearly 50 years old I’d be hard pressed to believe there’s some misty eye’d 80 year old man wanting to spend £3500 on a reissue of a watch he’s had in his drawer for 40 years.

It’s the Instagram generation that will be buying them who are into vintage Seiko’s which is exactly why Seiko reissue these pieces.
    I wonder what sort of people have bought the previous two limited editions - a lot of vintage Seiko collectors for sure, but I'd still argue many of them are in their 50s.

I don't disagree with the IG generation, but still think aimed for an older audience.

Blog Entries
    Not quite 50 yet. A superb watch!

Craftsman
    You’ll have neither if you get divorced😆

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post

that does look rather good. What version is that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    that does look rather good. What version is that?
    SLA017

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

I started trying Seiko due for the reissued turtles in various LE configurations as I wanted a bit more colour and they are priced very keenly for what you get. That led me the SLA series and in particular the 017. Honestly, the bang for the £ you get with 017 is ahead of almost anything at all and given what I own that is quite something.
    After the 017 then you start thinking about the other SLA’s but I think the 033 is too big and pricing it up so much I think is too far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post

Not often you see a pic do that watch justice Michael.
    By a country mile the nicest of the reissues imo of course.

Master
    Have these been released yet? Showing as in stock at WatchO.

https://www.watcho.co.uk/Watches/Sei...-SLA033J1.html

Apprentice
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by mtb2104 View Post

Nice! What are your impressions?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nice! What are your impressions?

Thanks!
    Not love at first sight but it’s moving up the rank very quickly.
    More comfy than 017 & 025... perhaps due to the decreased height.
    The crown is quite small if it requires frequent manipulation.
    Pretty awesome so far. :)

Thanks!
    Not love at first sight but it’s moving up the rank very quickly.
    More comfy than 017 & 025... perhaps due to the decreased height.
    The crown is quite small if it requires frequent manipulation.
    Pretty awesome so far. :)
    I still maintain that the turtle/cushion case is one of the most comfortable constructions. Congrats, hope you continue bonding with it!

I received mine on Thursday. Still wrapped up though. Not sure about 19mm strap on a 45mm case so keeping it new for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I received mine on Thursday. Still wrapped up though. Not sure about 19mm strap on a 45mm case so keeping it new for now.
    The 6309 and turtles that followed were all 22mm, seems a much better balance than 19mm. One thing they should have changed.

Apprentice
    Well... personally it’s more comfy than 777... so that’s that for me. :)

The 6309 and turtles that followed were all 22mm, seems a much better balance than 19mm. One thing they should have changed.
    My ideal variant as well. Very faithful to the original though. And 13mm slim.

Well... personally it’s more comfy than 777... so that’s that for me. :)
    Interesting! A tad bigger, right? Be interested in a side to side if you get the chance :|)

My ideal variant as well. Very faithful to the original though. And 13mm slim.
    All the recreations have been fantastically made - pricey, but you get value for money for sure.

Apprentice
    033 is 104 grams naked (head with spring bars)
    777 is 92 grams naked

However, 033 has a much flatter case back, and the spring bars are lower, making it more comfy for me.

Some quick and dirty iPhone shots

033 is 104 grams naked (head with spring bars)
    777 is 92 grams naked

However, 033 has a much flatter case back, and the spring bars are lower, making it more comfy for me.

Some quick and dirty iPhone shots

This is very much appreciated, thank you! I see what you mean with the flatter profile, seems much sleeker than the 777 despite the increased diameter. Thanks again!

Master
    Try a 20mm strap. All the straps I put on my SLA017 are 20mm and the 1mm really does make a difference.
    Last edited by JP28; 30th June 2019 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Try a 20mm strap. All the straps I put on my SLA017 are 20mm and the 1mm really does make a difference.
    OCD disallows that :). I might try the notched 19mm Seiko urethane ones.

Apprentice

I had my reservations about the size and especially the lug width/case proportions, and didn’t even try it on since delivery last Thursday.

Thought I wasn’t going to keep it, but on the wrist it feels nothing like 45mm. I also expected the bezel to be a bit “wobbly” like the SLA017, but it proved to be as precise as the SLA025 if not better.

Love it!

I had my reservations about the size and especially the lug width/case proportions, and didn’t even try it on since delivery last Thursday.

Thought I wasn’t going to keep it, but on the wrist it feels nothing like 45mm. I also expected the bezel to be a bit “wobbly” like the SLA017, but it proved to be as precise as the SLA025 if not better.

Love it!

Great you busted it out of the plastic, it looks great!

Apprentice

Love it!
    Congrats on the unwrap!

On a vintage Tropic.

Master
    One available at HL Brown Sheffield if anyone is looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it!

Not exactly seamless between case and bezel is it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Not exactly seamless between case and bezel is it.

I meant turning action. Much better than the SLA017.

I meant turning action. Much better than the SLA017.
    I see. I meant that the side picture shows that there are quite a few small gaps between case and bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    I see. I meant that the side picture shows that there are quite a few small gaps between case and bezel.

Notice the cut outs for releasing water and dirt.