closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC and future plans (opinions welcomed)

Master

SOTC and future plans (opinions welcomed)

Over the years my collection has changed quite a lot. All started with a Christopher Ward C5 Then a C60, Nomos Club, Seiko Turtle and a special military project watch from Bremont (all of those now sold). In amongst all that I was very generously gifted this watch for my graduation:

I still love the Speedy as much as when I got it in 2015. It just is such a classic design (which I think more and more I am realising that "design" is most important to me), nothing superfluous, great proportions, great size and love the interaction with the manual wind movement. This one will stay always.

Then recently (November 2018) this happened:

I bought the watch, well primarily because I wanted it, but the WIS justification was because I had got married and had a significant step forward with the career. The Submariner is a truly great watch. And even the most contentious part of the design (the lugs), I quite like, it gives it a sporty robust feel which is just great in a watch like this. But... my love for it... fluctuates. I can't really tell you why. I never thought it would be the case but the Subs place in my collection is not secure in the long term.

Recently I added this:

Bought off the forum and I was sure this would be the watch that I needed as an everyday wearer for work. It is beautiful and I am not sure you can get a better dress watch for the money; but it isn't for me. Maybe it is too dressy for me, not sure. This one is for sale currently, someone else will certainly get more use out of it than I do.

Other than that I have a Garmin Fenix 5 which doesn't really count!

So where do I go from here?
    I think maybe my love of classic design has led me to two of the most classic designs of all, the sub and the speedy. But maybe a bit safe... If I were to shift the Sub I think I would still want a Rolex, so the three that are currently being considered are:

Rolex Explorer 114270

Tried it on once in Burlington Arcade and just loved the design and proportions, perfect. But I feel maybe I don't want another black dial so how about this:

Rolex OP 114300 with a white dial. IMO Rolex just smashed it with this one, it epitomises all that Rolex should/can stand for in a stripped back and subtle way. Looks great. Would appreciate someones feedback on ownership.

Wildcard:

Bloody cool looking watch, unlikely to get boring and would give me variety. I really liked this when I tried one on.

Beyond that, I would want a watch with a date - maybe an IWC Mark something. And a fancy dress watch with a great display caseback.

Any thoughts would be interesting for me to read. Have a great day!
    Last edited by watchstudent; 23rd May 2019 at 10:27.

Hi,

First of all, it's lovely collection.
    I am in very similar situation except that I am still waiting for my SUB ND.
    I've also went ahead and bought Milgauss and Explorer while waiting for SUB and absolutely love both watches.
    I am also thinking about adding Rolex OP 34/36mm in white dial as most of my watches are black dials.
    As for what next, in my case I started looking into Grand Seiko, JLC Reverso for for dresser/ formal occasion.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    I share your reverence for the white-dial OP39. Probably my next watch, especially since the savings I had intended to put towards a Daytona are unlikely ever to meet that use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    Hi,

First of all, it's lovely collection.
    I am in very similar situation except that I am still waiting for my SUB ND.
    I've also went ahead and bought Milgauss and Explorer while waiting for SUB and absolutely love both watches.
    I am also thinking about adding Rolex OP 34/36mm in white dial as most of my watches are black dials.
    As for what next, in my case I started looking into Grand Seiko, JLC Reverso for for dresser/ formal occasion.

Great three watch collection there. I really wanted to love the Explorer as there was one available at the same time I bought the Sub. But for me, the 114270 would always be the Explorer I wanted so would have been a mistake for sure. In an ideal world I think I would just add a Milgauss like you have, but financially that would be very difficult for me to justify!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I share your reverence for the white-dial OP39. Probably my next watch, especially since the savings I had intended to put towards a Daytona are unlikely ever to meet that use.
    Haha I feel you. If I thought it was worth saving for a white dial Daytona then that is probably what I’d be doing!

My preference would be the 36mm Exp1 but if going for the OP I would go 34 or 39mm and skip the 36mm. The double hour markets are ugly imo and the other two wear nicer depending on wrist size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    My preference would be the 36mm Exp1 but if going for the OP I would go 34 or 39mm and skip the 36mm. The double hour markets are ugly imo and the other two wear nicer depending on wrist size.
    Funny how taste is so personal - I'm the opposite with the White OP's. Can't abide the negative squares so much prefer the double markers of the 36.

As an alternative for the op, have you considered a Nomos Orion 35 weiss? Classy little number as a dress watch and can easily be jazzed up with a coloured strap for less formal wear due to the drilled lugs.

Out of those 3 i’d Definitely chose the Explorer, classic face , love it.
    Would the Explorer 214270 be to large?.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    There is life outside Rolexworld. But if you want to stick with that brand for now try a DJ or something left field like a Celini (sp).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    There is life outside Rolexworld. But if you want to stick with that brand for now try a DJ or something left field like a Celini (sp).
    There really is. I tried this on last night and loved it! But the £9k price tag had my eyes watering. Last one on SC went for £5k I think.

There is life outside Rolexworld. (
    Truest thing said on this thread. I would suggest an Omega or a JLC or some other brand. If residuals is an issue, buy preloved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    Out of those 3 i’d Definitely chose the Explorer, classic face , love it.
    Would the Explorer 214270 be to large?.

Cheers
    Not too large per se, it just feels... bloated, I think is the best word to describe it. Compared to the 114270 anyway. Realise that is a very subjective opinion but was just my first impression of it.

Master
    Agreed. I do however want to own one Rolex, but I think that will be enough. Just tried on a 36mm Datejust and to be honest it seemed bang on.

SOTC and future plans (opinions welcomed)

We do seem to have similar taste OP. I recently added a second Rolex after the Sub (14060m) I looked over most of the models you have suggested and found the OP36 is a stunner for me though I liked the white dial but somehow I was instantly taken by this

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    We do seem to have similar taste OP. I recently added a second Rolex after the Sub (14060m) I looked over most of the models you have suggested and found the OP36 is a stunner for me though I liked the white dial but somehow I was instantly taken by this

Nice watch, and looks like a lovely serene scene you’ve got going on there!

Journeyman
    I like the explorer but would you consider a Seamaster Aqua Terra? It would fit in well, dressy but not too dressy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Considering your collection and your preference for classic watches, I’d go for the OP. Classic dresswatch and by my recent thread on a white dial Datejust, people love a white dial OP/DJ. So probably would also hold its value well. Maybe better than the millgauss would.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    I like the explorer but would you consider a Seamaster Aqua Terra? It would fit in well, dressy but not too dressy.

If you’re considering outside of the 3 I would also look at the Aqua Terra. I personally prefer the hands and case on the AT. Have also seen a few videos championing them over the Rolex equivalents.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    If you’re considering outside of the 3 I would also look at the Aqua Terra. I personally prefer the hands and case on the AT. Have also seen a few videos championing them over the Rolex equivalents.

Also a good choice of colours, sizes and other variations with the AT.

Surely the Aqua Terra on the sc is what your after?

Its the new model with the latest movement and fits your criteria.

Great price too (no affiliation with the seller)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...qua-Terra-38mm

OP, I enjoyed your post with the background of your collection and future plans.

There are some excellent suggestions here.
    I have tried both 36 and 39mm OP today at the Goldsmiths and found that 39mm to be just right.
    In fact, I've ordered both White and Rodium dials to try.
    However if it is between OP and Milgauss Z Blue, there is only one winner for me.

Regards,

km9

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Surely the Aqua Terra on the sc is what your after?

Its the new model with the latest movement and fits your criteria.

Great price too (no affiliation with the seller)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...qua-Terra-38mm

OP, I enjoyed your post with the background of your collection and future plans.
    I've been tempted by this more than once myself, photos are great! Only thing I'm not sure about is whether the 38mm would be too small on my wrist, I find my 42.5 PO and moonwatch to be a nice size for me.

Milgauss all day long for me

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Out of the three I think the white dial OP looks the best and really nice contrast to speedy.

AT’s a great shout - I picked up one from here at the start of the year and have been really impressed, dial is so much better in real life and size and accuracy bang on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Out of the three I think the white dial OP looks the best and really nice contrast to speedy.

AT’s a great shout - I picked up one from here at the start of the year and have been really impressed, dial is so much better in real life and size and accuracy bang on.

When you say size is bang on, what size AT are you talking about?

I have owned the white 39mm OP for circa 4 weeks now and am not 100% sure, although I think that’s because I’m never happy......

Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    I have owned the white 39mm OP for circa 4 weeks now and am not 100% sure, although I think that’s because I’m never happy......

It's a good size on you, I'd keep it personally but depends on what else is in the collection etc.

What about the white dialled Milgauss?

(Or Pulsar Gen 1 chrono )

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    When you say size is bang on, what size AT are you talking about?
    Mine is the 38.5mm annual calendar. Wrist is 6.75” and I definitely lean towards the smaller size watches (largest is collection is a 42mm navitimer).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post

I'll take it off your hands ;-)