closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes AMG GT has anyone here had one?

Mercedes AMG GT has anyone here had one?

These have now become very affordable, has anyone had any long term ownership experience? I'm thinking an everyday car so interested in MPG and running costs as well, its fairly discreet so disappears into customers car parks easily, it is supposed to be very similar to the M4 that I am thinking of replacing. it will probably be the S version, the GTR is stunning but silly money.

Hi there

I’m lucky I get to drive and write about such stuff and did an article on the GT’ S kindly lent by Redline a while back

It’s a fabulous car a nice balance of quick and comfortable the cabin is a tad cramped mainly due to the large centre console but that adds to a cockpit feel fit and finish is excellent and it sounds epic.

However it’s an option sensitive car so if you can get a loaded one and the glass roof is a great option to have.

Now then my brother bought one a 2015 car low miles nice spec and adores it however late last year at 15000 miles he saw oil under rear on path he took it to MB who said the gearbox which is transaxle needed replacing which as he was 3 months out of warranty would be £16’000 !, after 3 days of heated debate they agreed to pay as they have had a few go so a ‘known concern’.....scary stuff

Anyway he got it back and it’s been faultless since.

So yes great car but either buy one in warranty or take out MB warranty via MB direct and renew each year circa £800

Hope that helps

Thanks TKH, I have looked at a few, mileages are all over the place, my local MB dealer has one at a sensible price and a full MB two year warranty, but its done 30k, the weird thing is that most cars are in non franchised dealers, I am wondering if there are lots of cars coming out of leases and being bought at auction etc, I have searched but cant find out common faults if any.

There’s a forum for everything

https://www.amggtforum.com/forum/9-2...n-failure.html

Personally I would try to buy with MB warranty known as Tier 1.

Expect an average of 20-22mpg if you use it for a mix of town, A roads and Motorway

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Expect an average of 20-22mpg if you use it for a mix of town, A roads and Motorway
    Rubbish, 4.0L V8 twin-turbo, unlikely. They may be official figures, but real world not even close.

I ran carefully and enthusiastically a 2.5L V6 Galant and a return of 24-MPG was a good day

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Rubbish, 4.0L V8 twin-turbo, unlikely. They may be official figures, but real world not even close.

I ran carefully and enthusiastically a 2.5L V6 Galant and a return of 24-MPG was a good day
    I'm basing my post on a C63 AMG I ran with the same engine in and that's what I got as an average over about 8000 miles, but I'm sure you're right, you must know far more than me about Modern Merc V8 AMG engines having owned a formidable Mitsubshi Gallant V6
    Last edited by Vanguard; 23rd May 2019 at 11:22.

agree they comfortably do 20+ or more on motorway with cruise on
    far better than my SLS which did 16 !!!

MPG notes

2007 M5 500bhp I averaged around 12 mpg
    2018 M3 500bhp I average around 23 mpg

Times have indeed changed.

Blog Entries
    With the dust now settling after extensive building work last year my wallet is starting to breathe again and would love to add one of these to the drive. What's a decent price these days?

Master
    Reference the MPG, you will get low 20's- Recently had a 2015 S500 Coupe and you will get half decent fuel economy.

I am currently using an M4cp every day, if mpg is close to that I will be happy

Master
    I'm basing my post on a C63 AMG I ran with the same engine in and that's what I got as an average over about 8000 miles, but I'm sure you're right, you must know far more than me about Modern Merc V8 AMG engines having owned a formidable Mitsubshi Gallant V6
    I'm not sure about formidable, but decent 0-60 time, 103mph in third and topped out at 174, seems ok to me. Oh, and non of that nanny state 155 limiter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    MPG notes

And less weight from a M5 to a M3

And less weight from a M5 to a M3
    2007 E61 M5 Touring 1,880kg
    2018 F80 M3CS 1,580kg

That doesn't explain 90% better fuel economy on the same roads, same driver, same power output.

MPG notes

I didn't buy an M3, F80 version, with one eye on MPG, but it easily did 30-33 most of the time. Incredible given the animal-like power of the thing. Fabulous car.

I have a 2.0 litre 2018 Porsche Macan...30 is possible...

The AMG is a staggeringly beautiful thing, btw. In blue, drool everywhere. I looked at them before the dogs arrived and we needed a hatchback..

I'm not sure about formidable, but decent 0-60 time, 103mph in third and topped out at 174, seems ok to me. Oh, and non of that nanny state 155 limiter
    174mph?

Master
    2007 E61 M5 Touring 1,880kg
    2018 F80 M3CS 1,580kg

That doesn't explain 90% better fuel economy on the same roads, same driver, same power output.
    Of course not, and I didn't say it did, but it certainly adds to the equation

Master
    174mph?
    Yes

Yes
    The 163bhp Mitsubushi Gallant 2.5 V6?

Of course not, and I didn't say it did, but it certainly adds to the equation
    So what does explain a 90% gain in the mpg of performance cars over the last decade?

The answer is clear to most, but you rubbished that a current AMG would average over 20 mpg and myself and others have stated it's not just possible but more than likely.

Blog Entries
    174mph?
    Just what you need for the morning commute seriously what is the point in today’s traffic,cameras and the standard of driving?
    Nice car BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just what you need for the morning commute seriously what is the point in today’s traffic,cameras and the standard of driving?
    Nice car BTW.
    Track days innit.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Nice car BTW.
    Very true, following the car in front across the roads of Essex, sitting in the traffic in Chelmsford, then the crawl down the A12.....................but you know how it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Track days innit.
    Far to heavy, saying that they use one as the F1 safety car.

MPG notes

N/A V10 v a turbocharged 6cyl...

Tell me which sounded better!

until the E60/61 went wrong.

Mercedes AMG GT has anyone here had one?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The Gallant 2.5 V6? Thought it was a Mercedes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard
    174mph?
    Yes
    I’m not sure about this...

My weekend fun car is a Maserati Cambiocorsa. It tops out at 177mph apparently, but requires a 4.2litre Ferrari V8 producing nearly 400bhp to do that.

And these days can be beaten by some diesels...

I will concur about manufacturers MPG fantasies though. My daily Touareg 3.0TDi averages barely 23mpg, when the official figures are in the early 30’s.

Things change, by the time I'd hit 50 the dichotomy of screaming performance vs the law simply pushed me towards interesting cars as opposed to stupidly fast one's,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes
    Nonsense.

Fantasy or a tuned speedo

It wouldn’t reach that speed even if driven off a cliff.
    Last edited by adrianw; 23rd May 2019 at 18:51.

Fantasy or a tuned speedo

It wouldn’t reach that speed even if driven off a cliff.
    Perhaps it was being towed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Perhaps it was being towed?
    😀

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Hi there

I’m lucky I get to drive and write about such stuff and did an article on the GT’ S kindly lent by Redline a while back

It’s a fabulous car a nice balance of quick and comfortable the cabin is a tad cramped mainly due to the large centre console but that adds to a cockpit feel fit and finish is excellent and it sounds epic.

However it’s an option sensitive car so if you can get a loaded one and the glass roof is a great option to have.

Now then my brother bought one a 2015 car low miles nice spec and adores it however late last year at 15000 miles he saw oil under rear on path he took it to MB who said the gearbox which is transaxle needed replacing which as he was 3 months out of warranty would be £16’000 !, after 3 days of heated debate they agreed to pay as they have had a few go so a ‘known concern’.....scary stuff

Anyway he got it back and it’s been faultless since.

So yes great car but either buy one in warranty or take out MB warranty via MB direct and renew each year circa £800

Hope that helps

Agree, in particular the cabin quality is top notch & the soundtrack of the GT S is wonderful. I had the use of one for a couple of days, some years ago, when my SL63AMG was in for service.

I would agree the cabin is a little cramped esp for the taller driver & I found it difficult to get an optimum driving position for the seat back.

Have a good lengthy test drive.

Having run various AMG models for the last 10 years I would thoroughly recommend "extended warranty" cover where necessary. These cars won't be cheap if/when they go wrong and I guess you might pay £60 - £70k for one now....but when it goes wrong it's a £130k car (or whatever new).

As for fuel economy, in my experience the turbo cars are much more sensible than the nat asps....and low 20's are achievable.

My father is thinking of moving his on. Launch spec GTS, it's a lovely thing. The soundtrack is phenomenal, it's a classy looking thing and it's everyday usable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    My father is thinking of moving his on. Launch spec GTS, it's a lovely thing. The soundtrack is phenomenal, it's a classy looking thing and it's everyday usable.

Red was off my list, but please pm me the details-

174mph?
    Maybe it was a Japanese import and the Speedo was still in kmh? 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

I took one to Spa and back in a day, can think of worse cars to do 700 miles in. It’s a great GT car.

XSP_0283 by Alex L, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Maybe it was a Japanese import and the Speedo was still in kmh? 

It's comedy Gold isn't it, I was having a beer with a mate last night who drives an M4 and told him the 174mph Gallant story, we lolled!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Maybe it was a Japanese import and the Speedo was still in kmh?
    Hahahahaha

MPG notes

I have a 2007 M6 and probably get 12mpg if I’m lucky.

Times have changed but there’s no substitute for a NA induction roar. All these small V8s with 20-odd turbos are soulless in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I have a 2007 M6 and probably get 12mpg if I’m lucky.

Times have changed but there’s no substitute for a NA induction roar. All these small V8s with 20-odd turbos are soulless in comparison.
    But my 2018 M4CP will run rings around it, its progress, unfortunately because of emissions regulations it is the only way to go.........while they let them build cars like these.

Master
    They are really very nice, but quite a lot of money really.
    IO'm inclined to agth the mpg claims. My e55 does 21 or so around and about and 24 on a run. I know the newer 5.5 twin turbos will do towards 30 on a run so I see no reason why the newer still 4l won't be along those lines unless the AMG GT is really, really heavy.

While I have no experience of the car, lovely that it is, I will just say one thing.

They are not the type of car to disappear in a car park, granted they don't have the silly doors like an sls but they are still a much more obvious car than the M4, 2nd hand or not its a lot showier than even a brand new M4 in my eyes, even if the cost is less.

If I was me, at that money I would be looking at a vantage, even if it's older and having money in the fund to fix it when it goes pop. Even if It's s a bit louder.

Blog Entries
    Don't want to hijack the thread - sorry OP.

The later versions of the Mitsubishi Galant 2.5V6 (VR-4 spec) models had nearly 300bhp and were quite fast. Not sure they were 176mph fast but could certainly top 150mph.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread - sorry OP.

The later versions of the Mitsubishi Galant 2.5V6 (VR-4 spec) models had nearly 300bhp and were quite fast. Not sure they were 176mph fast but could certainly top 150mph.
    I've been sidetracked by this mythical Japanese sleeper and just had a look to find exactly as you said!

To hit 174mph would need a significant power boost above stock.
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 24th May 2019 at 11:47.

But my 2018 M4CP will run rings around it, its progress, unfortunately because of emissions regulations it is the only way to go.........while they let them build cars like these.
    Absolutely, that's not in doubt. The same could have been said for a 512BB versus a 365GTB/4 but which commands the premium nowadays?

No major manufacturer is ever going to make an NA V10 ever again sadly - which is a shame because the sound is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Absolutely, that's not in doubt. The same could have been said for a 512BB versus a 365GTB/4 but which commands the premium nowadays?

No major manufacturer is ever going to make an NA V10 ever again sadly - which is a shame because the sound is phenomenal.
    If I was in the position I would buy an LFA

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    While I have no experience of the car, lovely that it is, I will just say one thing.

They are not the type of car to disappear in a car park, granted they don't have the silly doors like an sls but they are still a much more obvious car than the M4, 2nd hand or not its a lot showier than even a brand new M4 in my eyes, even if the cost is less.

If I was me, at that money I would be looking at a vantage, even if it's older and having money in the fund to fix it when it goes pop. Even if It's s a bit louder.
    The vantage is lovely. But it's a generation behind, and feels 2 generations behind.

Interior feels dated, the nav etc is appalling. The paddle box is awful compared to the modern day dsg systems. They feel slow compared to an m4, let alone a GTS. The diff clunks like an e46 at low speed, and they aren't a paragon of reliability.

Lovely things, loads of character, but not a good daily.