closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fifty Five Fathoms modded SNZH

Apprentice

Fifty Five Fathoms modded SNZH

This was my first attempt at modding a watch myself. Pretty happy with the results - although I no longer trust the water resistance of the case!

It was a fairly extensive mod:
    • SNZH57 base
    • NH36 movement swap
    • FFF dial from Dagaz
    • Lumed ceramic bezel insert from LCBI
    • Hands from DLW watches
    • Sailcloth strap from Brady Straps

Done with zero watchmaking experience and a handful of YouTube vids.

Craftsman
    It looks great! Nice work.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Very cool. Love the look

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Brilliant, having modded my first watch recently I know it's a learning curve. That looks so nice, was the movement swap and crown fairly straightforward? I used the NH36 in my skx recently (shown below) and it's keeping excellent time.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Nice - I've got all the bits for a Blue one, but haven't got around to building it yet!

I did a black one (someone helped me initially, but I later swapped the movement to a windable one) and a bitsa blue one, with a different bezel as the 'crystal' bezels weren't available in blue, some time ago.

You might have inspired me to find all the bits and finally do the blue one!

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Nice - I've got all the bits for a Blue one, but haven't got around to building it yet!

I did a black one (someone helped me initially, but I later swapped the movement to a windable one) and a bitsa blue one, with a different bezel as the 'crystal' bezels weren't available in blue, some time ago.

You might have inspired me to find all the bits and finally do the blue one!

M
    Nice, I really like the fact mine is now hand winding and no date, with a nice reliable movement. Just got to decide what to do next.

Well done indeed - that is really nice.

I haven’t quite got to the point yet of building something from scratch, but I did receive this Casio MTD-1001 a couple of days ago that had a smashed crystal and a lifetime of gunk.

A new crystal arrived today which, combined with a good clean and a nice new strap, has come up rather well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Well done indeed - that is really nice.

I haven’t quite got to the point yet of building something from scratch, but I did receive this Casio MTD-1001 a couple of days ago that had a smashed crystal and a lifetime of gunk.

A new crystal arrived today which, combined with a good clean and a nice new strap, has come up rather well.

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks - I get a silly amount of pleasure from saving these from landfill and giving them a new lease of life, and for less than £20 it’s a cheap way to gain another watch that ends up with a bit more meaning to it than something that is just new and shiny.

They may be cheap and cheerful, but now they’re back and running they will probably outlast me!

P.S. I should have said before - all the dust is on the outside of the crystal, not on the dial.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Brilliant, having modded my first watch recently I know it's a learning curve. That looks so nice, was the movement swap and crown fairly straightforward? I used the NH36 in my skx recently (shown below) and it's keeping excellent time.
    The movement swap was fairly straightforward. The Nh36 drops straight in. I used the original crown and the stem that came with the movement. Took quite a bit of patience to trim it down right but I got there in the end.

The Nh36 is an excellent upgrade. So much better than the original movement. I've modded other parts of my skx, but not the movement yet. It'll be getting an nh36 at some point though.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    It looks great! Nice work.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    Very cool. Love the look

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks both! The process of modding it was a lot of fun.

Craftsman
    Looks really good..well done