closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Android experts here? I could do with some help!

Any Android experts here? I could do with some help!

I bought a Nokia 5.1 in February with a 16GB internal memory and stuck a micro SD card in to boost the storage.

Job done....or so I thought.

So only three months later and the internal memory is almost full with hardly any of the SD card being used.

I've followed some online advice on how to move content to the SD card but it never works. I've attached a couple of screen grabs to show you the current position.

Can anyone help me move this content? Is it even possible? Would it be possible if I rooted the phone?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

David

you can set the camera to use the removeable SD card - and just cut and paste the contents off the internal card to the removeable one (from the DCIM folder - thats the camera files)

then some of the apps can be moved to external SD card too - my sony reminds me to do this - or you can go to settings -> Apps -> in each app the should be a move to SD card option

Open the camera app, when open tap the 'cogg' settings symbol bottom left hand corner, then scroll down and tap 'more' scroll down to 'data storage' and tap, select sd card.

Then open apps and select settings scroll down to storage tap sd card this will probably tell you that a card is inserted but not mounted ie installed, this is likely that the card was originally inserted whilst the phone was already switched on, tapping again should give you the option to 'mount' the card, once done you will be given the option to transfer content to the sd card.
    As above apps are best moved separately as moving some will make them unstable.
    Last edited by number2; 21st May 2019 at 19:42.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

number2 - thank you for your detailed reply but unfortunately my phone fails at step one as there's no cogg/settings when I open the camera app.

Everything you've said makes sense but I can't get it done.

I've found Data Storage in the Camera app but it's greyed out. It says "Save to Phone" and you can't change it.

Ok,
    Switch off the phone and remove the sd card.

Switch phone back on, and leave for a minute or so

Turn phone off again and when fully off, reinsert sd card, once done restart the phone,

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've found Data Storage in the Camera app but it's greyed out. It says "Save to Phone" and you can't change it.
    This is because the phone doesn't 'see' the sd card.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Ok,
    Switch off the phone and remove the sd card.

Switch phone back on, and leave for a minute or so

Turn phone off again and when fully off, reinsert sd card, once done restart the phone,
    Great minds! That's exactly what I've just done....no difference :(

Great minds! That's exactly what I've just done....no difference :(
    Hmmm, faulty sd card?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hmmm, faulty sd card?
    That crossed my mind. I might ring Nokia support tomorrow. Thanks for trying.

Actually I remember when I put the card in for the first time it asked me if I wanted to format it and I said yes. Could that have anything to do with it?

With the phone switched off you insert an sd card, switching on the phone should give you the option of what storage to use, if this isn't happening then it suggests a sd fault.

That crossed my mind. I might ring Nokia support tomorrow. Thanks for trying.

Actually I remember when I put the card in for the first time it asked me if I wanted to format it and I said yes. Could that have anything to do with it?
    Ah, that maybe the answer, formatting may just have wiped some associated registry,,

OK thanks a lot. I'll buy another and try again.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately I've been down this road and no matter what you try you will never be able to move enough stuff across onto the sd card, modern phone operating systems take at least 8 gig so 16 is not so much when you think about it??!!
    Personally I think you need a minimum of 32gb to be on the safe side..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s this kind of issue that lead me straight back to an iPhone. Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but just found android infuriating! Never again - and I’m no ‘fanboy’ this just want the damned thing to work properly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It’s this kind of issue that lead me straight back to an iPhone. Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but just found android infuriating! Never again - and I’m no ‘fanboy’ this just want the damned thing to work properly!
    It sounds like a faulty sd card which is hardly an os issue, oh and fwiw android is around 85% of the global market.
    Last edited by number2; 22nd May 2019 at 10:53.

Master
    From memory (not had Android a while now), whenever I tried to add the camera to the external SD card the shutter lag on the camera was unbearably slow. So much so I had to revert back to internal memory and found 16gb too small to accept many photos. This was on a Moto G. Things may have changed.

iPhone users don't have these sort of problems expanding their memory! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    iPhone users don't have these sort of problems expanding their memory! :-)
    Correct, they just get bent over paying for phones with bigger memories even though the hardware costs 2p more.

Any Android experts here? I could do with some help!

I had the same issue with 2 SD cards in my last android phone, and 1 in my sons. I quite agree Apple phones are stupidly expensive (which is why I normally keep mine for 3-4 years then pass down the family) and the lack of memory expansion is stupid. I did say I’m not a fan boy. Ymmv but for me they just work, no faffing about - and no concern over whether your provider will support updates etc. I have a feeling if I was more of a ‘techy’ I’d be better off with an Android. But I’m not, and I don’t want to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    Correct, they just get bent over paying for phones with bigger memories even though the hardware costs 2p more.
    I don't think the original was praise, or, if it was, it was damning with faint praise. One can't add memory to iphones, I believe. I've gone from 32GB device + 64GB micro sd, to 128GB micro sd to 256GB micro sd with my phone (also updated removable battery).

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 22nd May 2019 at 11:13.

I've:

Moved everything off the SD card and onto the phone storage

Switched the phone off and removed the SD card

Switched the phone back on so it recognises no SD card

Switched the phone off again and inserted the new SD card

Switched the phone on again and set up the new SD card

Result? Absolutely no change! The only apps that can be moved to the new SD card are the same ones that were on the old one

Result? Money wasted on a new SD card when there wasn't anything wrong with the old one

Result? Same storage issue as before :(

EDIT - I've put everything back (again!) onto the phone and re-formatted the SD card as portable. Now I can put the camera app onto the SD card but none of the other apps I previously could.

So, I've turned off Backup and am deleting hundreds of photos from the phone memory. Photos and videos already backed up are still available in Drive so they're safe.

New photos will go straight to the SD card.

Space will be available on the phone memory as I've deleted the photos.

Lesson Learned - buy a phone with bigger internal memory next time!
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 24th May 2019 at 11:19.

Master
    Can you format the card through the phone, may just be the wrong format.

Thomas Reid
    I've:

Moved everything off the SD card and onto the phone storage

Switched the phone off and removed the SD card

Switched the phone back on so it recognises no SD card

Switched the phone off again and inserted the new SD card

Switched the phone on again and set up the new SD card

Result? Absolutely no change! The only apps that can be moved to the new SD card are the same ones that were on the old one

Result? Money wasted on a new SD card when there wasn't anything wrong with the old one

Result? Same storage issue as before :(

EDIT - I've put everything back (again!) onto the phone and re-formatted the SD card as portable. Now I can put the camera app onto the SD card but none of the other apps I previously could.

So, I've turned off Backup and am deleting hundreds of photos from the phone memory. Photos and videos already backed up are still available in Drive so they're safe.

New photos will go straight to the SD card.

Space will be available on the phone memory as I've deleted the photos.

Lesson Learned - buy a phone with bigger internal memory next time!
    Some apps are defined in the app's manifest (configuration) to be located on internal storage. In recent versions of Android you can use a setting in Developer Options to allow even these to be moved to external storage. I think that there are also apps which can do the same thing.

Best wishes,
    Bob