closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Storage

Journeyman

Storage

I've just acquired my fourth mechanical watch, a Oris aquis. I also have three quartz watches. The most convenient place for storage either in a watch box or small safe is my airing cupboard. My question is; is this going to be too warm for the mechanical watches?

Master
    I guess that storing your watches in the airing cupboard would be no good for any type of watch, especially for long periods of time.

It’s certainly not something I would choose to do...

Simon

My initial reaction was that the airing cupboard was probably less than ideal. But I suppose there are a couple of factors to consider. Does the tank in your cupboard have a separate and open header/overflow tank in it as well? If it does then the potential for condensation would put me off leaving watches there.

But if there is no overflow tank then it would just be the heat that might be an issue. How warm/hot does your cupboard get?

I’m still erring on not what I would choose to do, but I don’t know if this is beacause of a “real” problem or just my perception of a problem.

Put a thermometer in the airing cupboard to see how warm it is.

If it’s less than 38 Celsius then it’ll be warmer on your wrist at body temperature!

It almost certainly won’t be much higher and definitely less than exposing it to direct sunlight on a hot day so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Having said that, I’d probably not be comfortable with it either but I’m probably also being irrational.

Master
    I'd choose a drawer that's not next to a radiator.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    My initial reaction was that the airing cupboard was probably less than ideal. But I suppose there are a couple of factors to consider. Does the tank in your cupboard have a separate and open header/overflow tank in it as well? If it does then the potential for condensation would put me off leaving watches there.

But if there is no overflow tank then it would just be the heat that might be an issue. How warm/hot does your cupboard get?

I’m still erring on not what I would choose to do, but I don’t know if this is beacause of a “real” problem or just my perception of a problem.
    Never known those in an airing cupboard. Doubt it would be good for 'airing' clothes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never known those in an airing cupboard. Doubt it would be good for 'airing' clothes either.
    It isn’t (any good for airing clothes). But I mention it because there is one in the house I rent.

So they do exist, but I suspect only in older houses sporting older heating systems. I’m pretty sure the one in ours was obsolete centuries ago!!

Journeyman
    I initially thought of the airing cupboard because it has minimal humidity and remains at a fairly constant temperature of 29c to 32c which seems fairly reasonable to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert189598 View Post
    I initially thought of the airing cupboard because it has minimal humidity and remains at a fairly constant temperature of 29c to 32c which seems fairly reasonable to me.
    That constantly highish temperature seems unnecessary and more likely to dry out innards when you have the option of them being about 20c somewhere else in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That constantly highish temperature seems unnecessary and more likely to dry out innards when you have the option of them being about 20c somewhere else in the house.

But considerably lower than body temperature which it experiences whenever you are wearing it. At those temperatures OP, I’d say you’ve absolutely nothing to worry about.