closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rail travel options?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Rail travel options?

Morning gents.

I've been offered a job in leeds for my sins (Only joking), the thought of driving on the M62 every day fills me with dread, so I'm thinking of catching the train every morning.

Looking at monthly prices, they range so much, I'll probably want to be in Leeds for 7.30, leave around 4.30.

What's the options, and are there any cheap options I can think about? The difference in prices was quite eye watering.

Thanks for any info.

Adam

Master
    Not just the nightmare that is driving on the M62, it's the cost or parking when you get there!

Not sure what you mean by options; options for train fares or for alternative means of transport? Depends where you live, I suppose. A former colleague lives in Huddersfield and had his job moved to Leeds. He can't use the train because there's no parking at Huddersfield station and he lives the other side of Huddersfield with no decent bus service.

I would guess the best/cheapest option would be a season ticket of some kind. You may get lucky with the price as it's possible you would be deemed to be travelling outside "peak" hours. What are the variables in the 'quotes' you are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Morning gents.

I've been offered a job in leeds for my sins (Only joking), the thought of driving on the M62 every day fills me with dread, so I'm thinking of catching the train every morning.

Looking at monthly prices, they range so much, I'll probably want to be in Leeds for 7.30, leave around 4.30.

What's the options, and are there any cheap options I can think about? The difference in prices was quite eye watering.

Thanks for any info.

Adam

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Morning gents.

Thanks for any info.

Adam
    I live in Leeds, where are you travelling from?

Much depends on your departure times. When my wife was working in London she either did an early or late shift which meant that she hardly ever travelled during 'peak' hours. As she also travelled overseas frequently the most cost effective tickets tended to be off-peak weekly or monthly returns.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I live in Leeds, where are you travelling from?
    Bury. I'll be getting the Metrolink into Victoria. Assuming I can start early, I would imagine between a 6.30 -7.30 train over. On the way back? Probably a 4.30 one. I've got to finalise times with the guy, later today.

from house in Bury to desk in Leeds is probably 2 hours door to door by train. That's 4 hours out of your day.

I'd probably last a week doing that....

you are already pretty much on the m62 north if you have M66 access near Bury/Pilsworth ....personally I'd look at mixing it up with driving some days

No chance of remote working for any/all of the week? I would get a job closer to home. Leeds is great, but I wouldn’t spend 4 hours a day of my life travelling to get there/back. That's about 900 hours a year! Might work if I had a wife and kids I didn’t like, but otherwise, no!

Edit - I forgot to say that Transport might have all been upgraded by now, since you got the Northern Powerhouse.
    Last edited by Templogin; 21st May 2019 at 15:45. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

I would guess the best/cheapest option would be a season ticket of some kind. You may get lucky with the price as it's possible you would be deemed to be travelling outside "peak" hours. What are the variables in the 'quotes' you are getting?
    Northern doesn't appear to offer 'off-peak' tickets for any of its trains between 0600-1000 & 1600-2000, Monday to Friday.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Northern doesn't appear to offer 'off-peak' tickets for any of its trains between 0600-1000 & 1600-2000, Monday to Friday.
    Sneaky of them!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Leeds/Bury

46 minutes to drive - out of hours, one assumes!

Relocate, cross pennine trains are famous for being packed and slow, are they still pacers?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Sneaky of them!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Leeds/Bury

46 minutes to drive - out of hours, one assumes!

That would be early Sunday, it will be queing every day from halfway down the hill to 25 and all the way to 26 then really slow to 27, that section alone will be 20 mins easy, at home time expect the joining of the m62 from m621 to be 15 mins and another 10 to get down to 27, from there i dont know as i never go that way on an evening, Also slow down windy hill into rochdale/milnrow exits.

I live at Jnc 27 so do that section frequuently