closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: did Breitling do something wrong?

Journeyman

did Breitling do something wrong?

Hi

I've always had an appreciation for Breitling. My uncle had one when I was young and I remember it being his pride and joy, and I would love to own a Transocean 1461 one day. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the watch hobby compared to most here. Reading watch blogs and listening to various watch content I get the general impression that they are somehow not taken as seriously as they once were, like its a lower tier company in the eyes of serious watch lovers?

My question is why?

I should say I have never owned a Breitling and this isn't meant to piss off Breitling owners. Just curious to get some opinions on the brand and why I get this generally negative/indifferent impression from collectors

I have a few and am very fond of them and admire the brand. I also think the after sales and service are very good and i’m liking some of the new premier models. I have an emergency 1 which I really like, but the emergency 2 got a lot of stick, as did some of the
    So-called oversized blingy models. Compared to some of the more conservative watch brands, Brietitling can be a bit out there.

From a brand perspective they’ll always have a tough time against Rolex and some of the other brands, but as always with this hobby stay true to you, buy what you like, and try not to let a forum influence what you buy. I don’t regret any of my brietling purchases.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 21st May 2019 at 18:07.

It is just uninformed or poorly informed snobbery. Breitling make sure great watches.
    Unfortunately there are some who feel they look smart when they use the word Breibling or say something like zi don't normally like Breitling but.....

Craftsman
    As aviator watches their watches can be a bit big for someone like myself with 6.75” wrists, so although I’ve toyed with buying a Navitimer a couple of times whenever I’ve tried one one they’ve always looked ridiculous on me. I also have the same problem with Panerai, I admire the designs and heritage from both brands but there’s no way I could ever buy one.

Nothing wrong with Breitling.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I’ve owned a few and have enjoyed every one of them, I would and probably will have another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is just uninformed or poorly informed snobbery. Breitling make sure great watches.
    Unfortunately there are some who feel they look smart when they use the word Breibling or say something like zi don't normally like Breitling but.....
    What a completely uninformed comment. I don't like them because 99% of the watches they've made are bloody ugly. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, smart-arse.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Casio make great watches too. I reckon it’s less about the quality of the watch and more about the where brand sits. If it wasn’t about selling a brand, we’d all be wearing Casio.

A few years ago, Breitling went for the pop art cartoon branding and heavy reliance on Beckham and John Travolta. They obviously pitch at the same brand category as Tudor. In that category of watch, I think Tudor is the better option.

Master
    Commercially, I find them very difficult.

Models are changed too frequently, which devalues previous models.

Parts are not readily available, service is expensive and arguably has not always been of great quality, which devalues previous models.

They had some great designs, but an ejector-seat full of weaker ones.

As sales became harder, discounting became more widespread.

Residual prices are very important to many owners. If service needs are also frequent and expensive, the cost of ownership becomes unbearable. I see few people having more than one Breitling, compared with certain other brands where repeat custom is a happy norm.

It is my view that the wider success of the brand has spiralled downwards in the UK over the last decade or so.

H

One of my former colleagues purchased a Navitimer last year.

It was actually really nice, but it was a bit too big for me.

The only real issue I have with Breitling is that they tend to have quite busy dials, some work, some don't for me.

I would definitely say see them in person though before deciding as I found teh Navitimer in person was much nicer than the photos on the web site.

I don’t own one at the minute,but I’d definitely have another,I think people who like a bit of variety will have them,but there’s also a lot of folk who don’t like to differ from different brands .

Journeyman
    yep i also dont have nothing against Breitling...

Craftsman
    I find myself looking at them more but also think that many are a little busy. large and blingy for my taste.

Just because a brand doesn't speak to a certain individual does not mean its "bad" though

Breitling are NOT the company they once were, but that's true of most watch companies - Few have had an unbroken run of ownership and direction.

I own two, a 1967 Cosmonaute and a 2001 B-1. Both, in my opinion are great watches, amongst my favourites (The Cosmonaute was, and still is, my 'grail').

Some of their newer watches are a bit OTT (Breitling for Bentleys, for example), but some are great looking watches (Superocean Heritage and Transoceans, for example), they've tended to be on the larger size, too (of course the original Navitimer was a biggish watch for its time), which some don't like, but some recent models are downsizing.

I do like some of the recent models, but I struggle to think of a 'name brand' I think are worth the money they ask, Breitling included, so I doubt I'd ever buy a new watch from any of the big names these days.

Rolex fans always trot out the 'fact' that you can't lose money buying a Rolex. If that's why you're buying watches new, then Breitling isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Isn't that Bremont?

M

Craftsman
    I like them,

I have three -

Original Aerospace (expensive ownership over the years)
    Chrono Avenger (Titanium) - bought 'as new'
    Superocean (S/S 5000ft) bought on this forum.

Like them all, still.

Generally, I find the too shiny, too busy or too big.
    That said, I quite like the Superocean, Superocean Heritage and some of their titanium ana-digi quartz models.

Breitling have have a very large range so I guess they have something for most buyers.

Owned a few and found them all very good quality. I have an Avenger Seawolf at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Nothing wrong with Breitling.

I have to say the same now. A lot of their models are on the 'too much' side. To be honest so is every other Swiss manufacturer. As my friend Raffe shows above for the vintage but even some modern models do not SHOUT Breitling. This is mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Commercially, I find them very difficult.

Models are changed too frequently, which devalues previous models.

Parts are not readily available, service is expensive and arguably has not always been of great quality, which devalues previous models.

As sales became harder, discounting became more widespread.

Residual prices are very important to many owners. If service needs are also frequent and expensive, the cost of ownership becomes unbearable. I see few people having more than one Breitling, compared with certain other brands where repeat custom is a happy norm.

It is my view that the wider success of the brand has spiralled downwards in the UK over the last decade or so.

H

That's a fair summation of where they sit in the heirarchy and why so.
    They make pretty decent watches, even some great watches but suffer strategically.

I've had seven (two currently) and I fully expect more in the future.

Perhaps a tad chunky and tool-ish for some, but hey if you likes 'em you likes 'em

I like them and own 2 ,had a few more in the past .I think size and bling put a few off the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Casio make great watches too. I reckon it’s less about the quality of the watch and more about the where brand sits. If it wasn’t about selling a brand, we’d all be wearing Casio.

A few years ago, Breitling went for the pop art cartoon branding and heavy reliance on Beckham and John Travolta. They obviously pitch at the same brand category as Tudor. In that category of watch, I think Tudor is the better option.
    Fair enough even if comparison with Casio is invalid IMO.
    Actually Casio makes some pretty decent watches in its sector too.
    No issues with preferring Tudor to Breitling though I tend to look at the model rather than brand. Love some of the Tudor models and a few of the Breitling ones equally.

I had a Navitimer once and the crown fell off!!

Also it was not very legible, but that might have been the gold/silver dial. Quality was OK, but the watch didn't feel quite as nice as others I own.

The Bentley range devalued the brand in my book and perhaps that's why they are often calling "Brietbling"

The Aerospace Ti is a cracking watch, but why to expensive for what it is.

I think if they focused on their back catelogue they will find skme great watches to reissue.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Never been drawn to any other than the heritage model. Too big, too busy for me.

But if you like big and busy, who's better?!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I would suggest that it is more appropriate to say that all brands get it ‘wrong’ (whatever that means) some of the time, not particularly just Breitling.

I really like the brand, but only some models and lines. I’m a big fan of Avengers and Navitimers, as I love the look and because they seem to me to be representative of Breitling’s history, DNA and design language.

It’s therefore probably no surprise that the three I own at present are an Avenger Skyland, an Avenger II Seawolf and a Navitimer World.

I used to have a Superocean Steelfish (but it turned out to be an alarmingly well-executed fake), and I tried an Aerospace partly because it’s something of a forum favourite but really didn’t get on with it.

I find the use of the ‘bling’ reference both juvenile and unhelpful, by the way...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 21st May 2019 at 18:07.

Three

I have three of them - all ana digital
    Great watches and a good used buy

They do yellow dials very well. I'd have loved one of these if they weren't so chunky.

Master
    I think they are a bit loud & blingy for many people....and Breitling as a brand doesn't have that cache that R***x has!

Master
    I’d get one again. It would be a toss up between a vintage Chronomat or use the low residuals to get some sort of Steelfish .
    However I think they do too many of the same type of watch. How many variants of a 500m plus Chrono Diver does a brand need? I know Omega have SMP’s and Planet Oceans but Breitling seem to have a bewildering array of model.
    The watches are very chunky so they won’t suit everyone. They also may suffer a little bit from being the more expensive Tag? I seem to remember about 20 years ago when I was in my late 20’s it was Tag or a really expensive brand called Breitling and then your Dad had an Omega or if loaded a Rolex. I think people still work their way through Breitling to end up somewhere else .
    My thoughts are strip down the range to a Colt , a deeper Chrono Diver , Transocean , Navitimer and bring back the Top Time Panda in a 39mm. The Top Time could sell like hot cakes
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 21st May 2019 at 19:29.

I’ve owned 4 Navitimer’s and really like those
    Not so sure on some of the heavier/shinier versions such as Breitling for Bently etc
    Strange things Navitimer’s... whenever I’m without one, I want another, yet if I have one it’s first up to be sold.
    Just tried a blue dialled Sinn 903 which for me is better built and finished and a bit more unusual- plus I’ve been offered one brand new at a tad over £2500
    Some Breitling versions now list at close to £7500!
    Interesting Sinn/Breitling history on this with Helmut Sinn having effectively bought the design, or so I believe....
    My next purchase I think.....

Craftsman
    I had an avenger seawolf ss for a while. Probably the most over engineered watch I have even handled let alone owned. Sadly like many of thier offerings turned out to be more watch than I can handle and I moved it on.
    Many of thier offerings are a bit too loud and often big, but can't question the quality.
    There was a video circulating a few years ago about the manufacturing at Breitling, that was when they were still privately owned. I'm pretty sure they have been bought up now?

I’ve had quite a few and still have a couple - although I do think they aren’t the brand it once was, but could be again. I would have placed Breitling above Omega some years ago, but not any longer. They still make some good core models, but surely most big brands have learnt a little from the more successful brands to ensure a smooth continuous evolution - or to just churn out the same model virtually unchanged for as long as it remains popular :)
    It's just a matter of time...

I've had one- an Emergency. I got 40% off when asking for a discount which shocked me but it was horrifically unreliable and went back to Breitling several times. Unfortunately every time it came came back from Breitling it was damaged. The last being a whacking great big dent in the case. Once it was repaired I got rid. Shame as I really liked it and looking at the recent two on SC made me twitchy to make an offer.

Master
    I discounted breitling until I saw the superocean Heritage models. Then after doing some research into the brand and it’s history decided to take the plunge into ownership with an SOH II.
    I’m very tempted my a B04 version of the Chronomat (GMT complication ) as the big gaps in my collection are a GMT and a chronograph, filling those holes with 1 watch that has an in house movement for around 5k is a tall order.
    They are great tool watches in my opinion.