closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blainpain French Navy Divers

Last edited by gray; 21st May 2019 at 08:42.
    Gray

Would you really want anything that's associated with the French military? probably one of the least effective fighting forces of the last 100 years

It's a bit like making musical instruments with a link to the society for the deaf.

It is a nice looking watch though

What vanguard said really. Also the date in what to my eye looks a bit of an odd placement just rankles.

What's the big 7 all about, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What's the big 7 all about, then?
    Tut. Today's kids eh, don't even have the time for a two minute read...

According to the article 😉 ...

However, the least visible, but perhaps most symbolic, allusion to the French underwater commandos is featured on the dial just above the 6 o’clock hour marker. The black number 7 printed on the dial is a direct reference to the maximum depth (7 metres) that frogmen can fathom when using pure oxygen. After 7 metres, the oxygen becomes toxic.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Would you really want anything that's associated with the French military? probably one of the least effective fighting forces of the last 100 years

It's a bit like making musical instruments with a link to the society for the deaf.

Whatever one may think of French Navy, the FF was developed for the French frogmen.
    Good history of Blancpain FF here: https://monochrome-watches.com/watch...fifty-fathoms/

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Tut. Today's kids eh, don't even have the time for a two minute read...

According to the article  ...

However, the least visible, but perhaps most symbolic, allusion to the French underwater commandos is featured on the dial just above the 6 o’clock hour marker. The black number 7 printed on the dial is a direct reference to the maximum depth (7 metres) that frogmen can fathom when using pure oxygen. After 7 metres, the oxygen becomes toxic.
    At 7m on 100% they would be running O2 partial pressures of 1.7 (= oxygen intake of 170% vs the normal 21% in air). Risky stuff if you are remote and don't have surface support. Even using O2 at 6m most people would switch back to air for a few mins every 15-20 mins, given the risk of O2 toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    At 7m on 100% they would be running O2 partial pressures of 1.7 (= oxygen intake of 170% vs the normal 21% in air). Risky stuff if you are remote and don't have surface support. Even using O2 at 6m most people would switch back to air for a few mins every 15-20 mins, given the risk of O2 toxicity.
    Which highlights just how brave, verging on bonkers, military frogmen were in tackling such a harsh environment, not to mention the high risk operations undertaken.
    Gray

Master
    That caseback is beautifully detailed.

Journeyman

hahaha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Whatever one may think of French Navy, the FF was developed for the French frogmen.
    Good history of Blancpain FF here: https://monochrome-watches.com/watch...fifty-fathoms/
    Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed reading that.
    I’d love one of the modern ones, but most are way too big and they are very expensive!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great watch, love the brand, but don’t like the Blancpain engraving on the case. WTF would do they need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Great watch, love the brand, but don’t like the Blancpain engraving on the case. WTF would do they need to do that.
    I agree with you. I would buy one in a heart beat but for the script on the side.
    It looks naff on a Squale and even more naff on a Fifty Fathoms.

Its very odd really, because the original watches never had it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

So is a 50 fathoms for 7 fathoms an invitation to kill oneself?

BUBI 0_0

That’s why they make chocolate and vanilla ........ I like the name on the side of the case

I thought it's just me who doesn't like the scrip on the side of the watch. Seriously Blancipan wtf you've been thinking?!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

They commissioned the original.

Wears good, looks good....And imho nicer than a vanilla FF

Ultimately that all that maters, will post some pics up once im back near a PC

I thought that too - but am a happy owner of one and you never notice it when wearing it. Also they don't wear anything like the 45mm might suggest. Lovely understated watches in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They commissioned the original.
    Why let facts get in way of a good barb?