closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barcelona... a bit ropey at night...

Barcelona... a bit ropey at night...

Was over in Barcelona for a few nights with the lads earlier this month.

I was there about 14 years ago and the reputation the city has 'after hours' isn't great.

My heads up is that I found the place very ropey this time (mainly highly aggressive beggars) and it has got significantly worse since my last visit.

Its a great pity as its a fantastic city but it seems to have a much worse problem with beggars etc. than other major European cities.

Anyway, if anyone is going there, keep yer wits about you.

Owl1
    Was there a couple of years ago and thought the same.

The local administration is very liberal and "progressive" so they're not tough on crime, at all.

Are they local or foreign beggars? (Asking for a friend)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    The local administration is very liberal and "progressive" so they're not tough on crime, at all.
    Hardly a ‘progressive’ move for the law abiding inhabitants though!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Big city, night time, quelle surprise.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Big city, night time, quelle surprise.
    The surprise is that the number, persistence and aggression of the beggars far outweighs the problems encountered in other European cities.

Master
    stopped there a couple times on a cruise ship, there were a lot of swarthy looking street beggers about then,i found a couple of anglo saxon expletives followed by a hard stare got rid of them but this was in the day.i woudnt want to be there at night at all..

Yeah, I absolutely adore Barca, but the street crime is definitely an issue. Was there fore the Grand Prix a few years back with the family and we were walking to the metro station at about 6am when a scooter mouted the pavement and the guy on the back tried to grab my mums handbag - in a testament to both the quality of the bag and her grip strength they didn't get it and nearly fell off before riding away. Another time when on an art trip as teenagers a few friends and I were mooching about the Placa de Catalunya and some kids offered us some hash, whilst refusing one of them stuck his hand in my mates pocket to try for his wallet - luckily we noticed and scared them off.

A lot of the hotels have warning cards regarding the current favourite scams to watch out for.

Still one of my favourite cities regardless.

On a side note, never have I felt safer out and about in a big city than in Budapest. Perhaps a relic of communisim and secret police, but not once in my many visits have I ever felt that tingle that says something/someone is a bit sketchy.

Open borders, free movement, high unemployment and a target rich environment of 'rich' tourists to be guilt tripped/or just straight up robbed, all part and parcel of living/visiting a big city in the 21st century.
    THE real tragedy of Barcelona imho is it's become a victim of it's own success and has lost quite a bit of charm/originality especially noticeable in the gothic quarter far more branded generic retailers than some years back.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st May 2019 at 09:26.

been going there for 20 years as friends live there. only trouble i had was on my first visit where i stood out as a tourist but this was pre olympic money and the Born and Raval were undeveloped and quite seedy. the police appeared from nowhere a minute after some ‘friendly’ locals tried to engage in conversation with a quick pocket feel at the same time.

Now i wouldn’t say it was any different to other big cities, if you walk round looking like a target/victim then don't be surprised if you end up more likely to get hassled. the police have cracked down on beggars and petty crime as it’s not a good image for the city but mud sticks.

people do like to knock it though usually on a quick visit to the touristy bits most sensible people avoid (rambla) but i feel safer there than i do in some parts of U.K. cities.

I used to go ever couple of weeks for meetings and it was great a few years ago. It's definitely got worse over the last few years. My mate lives there and stopped wearing his Planet Ocean as it was just too much hassle - he's a big lad too!

It's sad really but I think Barca is a victim of it's own success. I don't think I'd rush back and used to love it over there.

What do you expect... It's crap because it's full of tourists.

Craftsman
    I was mugged in Barcelona in 1997 quite badly,was probably my fault for not just handing over my wallet etc as I was a lot younger I thought I could still take on the world and win!!!
    As has been said any big European city after dark can be a bit sketchy especially after a few cervezas! But you definitely need to be on your guard in Barcelona , I doubt its improved over the last 20 years

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I was moronic enough to walk around Naples wearing a PP5167. Was followed and had to duck into a restaurant to 'escape'. The 2 guys just sat outside waiting for over 30 mins before buggering off.

Great pizza though!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Haven't been to Barcelona recently but just came back from Lisbon.

Interesting how my mates either left their watches at home or wore a cheaper one. Had a couple of dodgy encounters but felt safe most of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Haven't been to Barcelona recently but just came back from Lisbon.

Interesting how my mates either left their watches at home or wore a cheaper one. Had a couple of dodgy encounters but felt safe most of the time.
    Dodgy encounters in Lisbon? I've been going for almost the past 20 years and never had even approaching an issue. Whereabouts in Lisbon were you?

Master
    Absolutely, Lisbon is my favourite European city by a long way and never had an issue even after stumbling back from the Bairro Alto after a few too many Mojitos!

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Dodgy encounters in Lisbon? I've been going for almost the past 20 years and never had even approaching an issue. Whereabouts in Lisbon were you?
    i was there last year and got pestered several times by drug dealers in the main square while the police wander about doing very little. one took offence to being told to ‘****-off’ after being very pushy.

strangely i have never been offered anything in BCN despite 20 odd visits over the years.

Master
    I thought Barcelona was quite civilised compared to Paris after hours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I thought Barcelona was quite civilised compared to Paris after hours.
    Agreed, Paris is the only place in Europe I felt unsafe. Broad day light at Sacre Coeur was a different world. Forced to give money, I’ve read Trip Advisor and it seems the Police are fine with this.

I went to Lisbon last year and felt safe all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Agreed, Paris is the only place in Europe I felt unsafe. Broad day light at Sacre Coeur was a different world. Forced to give money, I’ve read Trip Advisor and it seems the Police are fine with this.

I went to Lisbon last year and felt safe all the time.
    What do you mean by "forced to give money"?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    What do you mean by "forced to give money"?
    Walking up from the bottom. Surrounded by a gang, separated from my wife. They grabbed my wrist and said I needed a string bracelet. I declined they insisted, I wrenched my hand away and then another bunch surrounded me. At that point I thought you’re getting the money, so I let them.

At one point as he cut the ends off he said something about cutting me, but I ignored it. I only had 5 euros so that’s what he got. 6.00, no one apart from gangs at the bottom and nothing anyone could do. No harm done but not nice. My wife lived in Paris so she leading the wAy, normally I’m a bit more aware.

Read one star reviews and it seems common. My wife speaks french so we phoned them but they seemed to accept it. This is major tourist attraction, can’t imagine this happening in London. I left my GO seventies in the hotel room, lucky I guess!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post

On a side note, never have I felt safer out and about in a big city than in Budapest. Perhaps a relic of communisim and secret police, but not once in my many visits have I ever felt that tingle that says something/someone is a bit sketchy.
    So many seemingly different types of Police in Budapest with big guns, I have to admit some the female officers could have had me in handcuffs any time. Great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    So many seemingly different types of Police in Budapest with big guns, I have to admit some the female officers could have had me in handcuffs any time. Great city.
    I was a bit wary visiting Budapest, Hungarian is such a difficult language and I like to have at least a few words of local in the vocabulary before I visit a place (even if it's only "Help!"). Couldn't understand a damn word when I went but had a very pleasant and totally hassle-free visit. It's dirt cheap, too. I'd definitely go back.

On the other hand, Prague can do one. We had been in the city a whole 10 minutes before some scumbag dipped my wife's rucksack and stole her iPad.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    We’ve just got back from an extended weekend stay in Barcelona after having to postpone our Grand Prix trip.
    We stayed at a hotel in the marina and went all over the city during the day without having any issues at all and stayed around the 3 marina’s at night for dinner and felt completely safe there,lots of specific marina police all over.
    We just went out with 2 cardholders with 1 card and €100 in each and swapped watches for seiko’s just in case.
    Last edited by SeePee; 25th May 2019 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    We’ve just got back from an extended weekend stay in Barcelona after having to postpone our Grand Prix trip.
    We stayed in the marina and went all over the city during the day without having any issues at all and stayed around the 3 marina’s at night for dinner and felt completely safe there,lots of specific marina police all over.
    We just went out with 2 cardholders with 1 card and €100 in each and swapped watches for seiko’s just in case.
    I'm the OP on this one and theres something interesting in SeePee's post.

During the day the city is fine and I was there for 4 nights; the one good safe night we had was in the Marina area, I feel the need to say that as its a more balanced comment.

I was there with a group of lads, all well traveled, we stayed in an upmarket hotel in the Gothic quarter. The other 3 nights were around that area; never again.

Never again sounds harsh but I saw several instances that could have went well out of control, mainly groups of aggressive beggars following and harassing lads.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Are they local or foreign beggars? (Asking for a friend)
    The first one I encountered in 2016 right at the airport was either Irish or a Brit, I can't remember that well.

Been going to Barcelona for about 20 years about twice a year.

Been with the lads, family, friends and work. I have never ever had any trouble or issues and have been in some strange places, normal places and tourist places and a bit worse for wear!

Either, I have been outrageously luckily or its no worse than any other major City for street crime and I have still been lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Right in the centre by praca de figueira. A couple of pushy homeless guys and then a few drunk tourists later on.

I think perception of danger/doddginess of a place is purely based on one's levels of tolerance, background and past experience. Also, a quick tip - if you dress like a bum, it greatly reduces the chances of you being bothered/mugged and, as an additional benefit, you'll have more room on public transport or in a busy eatery. Not washing for a few days and smelling of booze also helps.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I think perception of danger/doddginess of a place is purely based on one's levels of tolerance, background and past experience. Also, a quick tip - if you dress like a bum, it greatly reduces the chances of you being bothered/mugged and, as an additional benefit, you'll have more room on public transport or in a busy eatery. Not washing for a few days and smelling of booze also helps.

I'm heading to Lisbon in a few hours - I'll make a quick change of clothes!

Owl1

No good if your after a shag though ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mate and I got targeted there in 2012.

They took 100 euros from his wallet but I only had cash in my front pocket so was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    No good if your after a shag though ...
    Depends what sort of shag you're after..

A beautiful woman is standing on a bridge, looking over the side and thinking about jumping off.
    A homeless man walks up to her.
    She sees the man coming and says, "Go away! There's nothing you can say to change my mind!"
    He says, "Well, if you're going to kill yourself anyway, why don't we have sex? At least I'll enjoy it."
    "Absolutely not! You're disgusting!", she replies.
    The man turns and starts walking away.
    "Is that all you're going to say? You're not going to try to convince me that life is worth living? Where are you going?"
    "I have to make it down to the bottom. If I hurry, you'll still be warm!", he says.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Why don't the police use plain clothes tourist looking operatives as bait for these criminals, they can then shoot them or arrest them as appropriate. It would only take a few months of zero tolerance concerted effort to clean out the filth. I simple do not understand why city authorities allow visitors and guests to be targeted, unless they take a cut.

I think it's a Europe-wide problem, if you introduce zero tolerance in one city, the scum will move to another. May be it's a good idea to set up a European police force, or something and call it Europolizei or Europolite?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Owl1
    Depends what sort of shag you're after..

A beautiful woman is standing on a bridge, looking over the side and thinking about jumping off.
    A homeless man walks up to her.
    She sees the man coming and says, "Go away! There's nothing you can say to change my mind!"
    He says, "Well, if you're going to kill yourself anyway, why don't we have sex? At least I'll enjoy it."
    "Absolutely not! You're disgusting!", she replies.
    The man turns and starts walking away.
    "Is that all you're going to say? You're not going to try to convince me that life is worth living? Where are you going?"
    "I have to make it down to the bottom. If I hurry, you'll still be warm!", he says.