closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OnePlus phones

Journeyman

OnePlus phones

Who owns one and how do the cameras compare to the galaxy s9/10 and pixel 2/3? Been eyeing up the 7 pro but have never used a OnePlus!

Just swapped my Pixel 2 XL for a OnePlus 7 Pro on Friday at the launch event.

Camera doesn't compare to the Pixel but the Pixel camera is a bit too good for a phone anyway. Above expectations.

OnePlus camera is ok but soon there will be the Pixel camera port for OnePlus like there was for the 6 and 6T. Then it will be good enough.

I've attached examples. Not meant to be examples just last couple or pics in my photos app since I got it on Friday. Don't judge my skills ha.

The unofficialtagline for Pixel 3 was "the best camera just got a new phone". For the OnePlus 7 pro it should be "the best phone just got an ok camera.

It's blazing fast.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got my first one in 2014 I think, their first model back when they did the invite system. I've had one ever since - have owned the 1, 2, X, 3T, 5 and currently the 6. Brilliant phones, really competitive on price.

As for photos - may family have often commented on how good the pictures are and as a layman I think the camera is great. Reviews on YouTube usually put it up there, but if photography is a big deal to you it would seem probably the latest Pixel or iPhone are likely to be slightly better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Great phones.
    I've used the one, Two and now the McLaren edition.

The only thing I've learned with Android phones is don't carry apps from different brand.
    So for example install apps again. That way the apps run how they should.

Ishmael

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just swapped my Pixel 2 XL for a OnePlus 7 Pro on Friday at the launch event.

Camera doesn't compare to the Pixel but the Pixel camera is a bit too good for a phone anyway. Above expectations.

OnePlus camera is ok but soon there will be the Pixel camera port for OnePlus like there was for the 6 and 6T. Then it will be good enough.

I've attached examples. Not meant to be examples just last couple or pics in my photos app since I got it on Friday. Don't judge my skills ha.

The unofficialtagline for Pixel 3 was "the best camera just got a new phone". For the OnePlus 7 pro it should be "the best phone just got an ok camera.

It's blazing fast.

Great post, thanks for the info and pics! I didn't realise the camera port existed. Sounds like you made the right choice in trading in the pixel!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Great post, thanks for the info and pics! I didn't realise the camera port existed. Sounds like you made the right choice in trading in the pixel!
    There are a few things I miss from the pixel but overall I'm very happy with the swap. I even have my work SIM in here now too so not having to carry two phones anymore is great.

Biggest downside apart from the camera is the charging cost. Regular USB C works fine for slow charge but fast charge can only be done using a OnePlus plus and OnePlus cable. The Pro comes with a Warp Charger which is faster than Dash Charge but a 1.5m cable and spare plug is. £50-60! Why they can't just use the industry standard I don't know.

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the responses! Sounds like owners all love the brand, which is positive! Just deciding between this and the galaxy s10. Decisions decisions!

I bought a OnePlus 5 new in the summer of 2017, and it's worked faultlessly since then. I'm very happy with the camera, and the hardware has held up well - the screen is tough, and while I've always had it in a case, the metal and frame is in good nick, too.

These pictures are raw from the camera, I think - no filters, no Instagram pics. Cropped, re-sized.

Can't compare with a Galaxy, but I'd certainly have another OnePlus. The battery life is good, and charging speed is excellent.

Can't really help with regards to the camera quality, but I'll add my 2p with regards to customer service.

I purchased a OnePlus 6 last year, and had an issue with the phone not picking up mobile networks at all.

After a chat session, they arranged a replacement unit within a week or so.

I mentioned that I had already attached the screen protector to the new (faulty) phone, and to their credit they sent me a new one.

I've heard a few horror stories about customer support with OnePlus, but I was quite pleased with how it was dealt with.

Of course this is annecdotal and YMMV.

As a phone overall, I've found it pretty decent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Thanks all for the responses! Sounds like owners all love the brand, which is positive! Just deciding between this and the galaxy s10. Decisions decisions!
    If the camera is important to you, get the S10 (or even the S10+). I've had two 1+ phones and I think they are great (and great value), but they always cut corners with the camera (gotta save that money somehow, right?) and from the reviews I've seen the 7 Pro is no exception (and the main reason I'm skeptical of getting one)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    If the camera is important to you, get the S10 (or even the S10+). I've had two 1+ phones and I think they are great (and great value), but they always cut corners with the camera (gotta save that money somehow, right?) and from the reviews I've seen the 7 Pro is no exception (and the main reason I'm skeptical of getting one)
    Or for only £400 get the Pixel 3a which has the same camera/software of its big brother for half the price.

I have had a OnePlus One, 3, 5, and 6T... absolutely no need to upgrade my phone right now (I'm using the Pixel camera APK) but the OP7 Pro does look awesome !

Just installed the camera mod for the Nexus 6 to play. The first pic is using the Google software, the second using OnePlus. Both shot on the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Google software much better and once a stable version is released for the 7 Pro I'll use that always

Journeyman
    Can certainly see the difference between the two pictures! I'll wait a while and see when the mod is released.

Also someone suggested getting the pixel 3a. I've read that the pixel 2 has better all round spec!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Or for only £400 get the Pixel 3a which has the same camera/software of its big brother for half the price.

I have had a OnePlus One, 3, 5, and 6T... absolutely no need to upgrade my phone right now (I'm using the Pixel camera APK) but the OP7 Pro does look awesome !
    I guess it depends on what's more important to you... for me it's the screen to body ratio (I want as big a screen as possible while still keeping the phone to a manageable size) followed closely by the camera. The S10 and the Pixel 3a are the same size, yet the S10 screen is half an inch larger - that's just unacceptable to me.

Pixel 3a is good for people who don't care what phone they have or want a good camera and will sacrifice for it. The processor takes quite a while to process images and the pixel 2 wasn't exactly snappy but did do it in the background.

Master
    Can't comment on the new ones, but I'm still using a One Plus3 that I've had for 3-4yrs.

Ok, I'll stop after this but same as before. Both shot on OnePlus 7 Pro. First is Google camera mod and second is OnePlus camera. No editing and taken 2 seconds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Can't comment on the new ones, but I'm still using a One Plus3 that I've had for 3-4yrs.
    Ditto. Only prob now is the battery endurance depletion on my OP3. I'm going to buy a 5 or 6 next,

I fact I have a WTB out, (hint hint)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Ditto. Only prob now is the battery endurance depletion on my OP3. I'm going to buy a 5 or 6 next,

I fact I have a WTB out, (hint hint)
    This is exactly where I'm at too, can get by currently but starting to get annoying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    This is exactly where I'm at too, can get by currently but starting to get annoying.
    The Android 9 update rolling out to the OP3 might prolong its life a little bit... better battery management

Check for a software update - I've just done my old one and it works a treat.

I#ve got a Op 5. Battery life is great, as is the fast charging. It's a couple of years old now, but I can't see any reason to replace it yet.