closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Self inflicted watch damage

Journeyman

Self inflicted watch damage

This morning I had put my IWC Portuguese in my back pocket as I had taken it off to put away and had my hands full. Stubbed my toe and ended up sitting on my watch and bending the clasp. Anyone else have a story of self inflicted stupidity!

Craftsman
    I've always worn watches on my right wrist. After enough people telling me it's on the wrong wrist etc I finally decide its just easier to wear it on my left. First time I try I hit it on a table putting a big scratch on the case. Back on the right wrist it went. Now have a permanent reminder not to doubt my choice of wrist!

My wife cut her finger on a knife two years back and screamed quite a lot and loud. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen so fast I knocked my GMT off the door frame so hard that it shifted the Cyclops a bit. Annoying smudge but had the glass replaced. Rolex were nice enough to do it under warranty.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

This shames me greatly to admit, but; and this is no mitigating circumstance for my stupidity, of course alcohol was an influencing factor. So to set the scene, I had a thankfully cheap and cheerful Storm watch in need of a new battery, I thought how difficult can it be to replace? After ‘some wine’ I embarked on opening the watch back; my tool of choice... my trusty Leatherman, I can confirm the blade is scalpel sharp as it entered my hand! Not to be beaten I continued my folly. I soon had the watch open; plus a sizeable scratch across the case back and some blood, I promptly replaced the battery and tried to set about popping the back on again, no matter how I positioned it, angled it, or applied my entire body weight against it on the newel post I could not get the thing to click back into place. I thought this called for a short sharp shock, I placed a leather belt under the screen and over the back to soften the blow, my next tool of choice (no one will ever guess this!), my Ski boot, I gave the watch a good tap with the plastic heel. The case back was now banana shaped! This poor watch ended up in the bin. I have learnt my lesson; no more watch repairs at home, lay off the booze, take all watches to my local jewellers. I hope this story give you all a laugh, this forum gives me great joy so sharing my stupidity is the least I can do. I told my mate Wildheart this story and we were crying with laughter, he had an intricate job coming up and I said I’d be able to assist with my pick axe, needless to say he declined!

I was just going out to dinner with tbe other half and her parents when as were were about to pull off the drive I noticed a sneak window open.

I thought I'd just learn on the wheey bin to push it shut...

Luckily my fall was broken by the watch. The goudges were pretty bad and I though the bracelet was a goner! Breitling must have taken pity on me - £60 they charged for refurb/repair, but I could have sworn it was a replacement if I didn't know better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was carrying a big box of shopping through the back gate at my house. The box however was only just slimmer than the opening and with my arms around the box I managed to scrape my GMT master along a brick. The bezel insert was really scratched. I swore lots and nearly cried. Fast forward a few years, I join this forum and then find out that it’s less than £50 to replace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only this, but it did not had any effect on watch, confirmed by watchmaker.

Master
    I’ve come to the conclusion that my brain’s spatial awareness calculations are accurate to the millimetre. When not wearing a watch I glide through life without incident - watch on and I’m blasting through every doorframe left wrist first...

25 years ago I bought my first quality watch while on holiday (a TT Daytona). That very night I drunkenly attempted to remove a link with a screwdriver I’d got out of a Christmas cracker. Scratched up two links, damaged the pins, and suffered a shameful hangover.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Only this, but it did not had any effect on watch, confirmed by watchmaker.

How did this happen?

Looks like a steam room job.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Interesting stories :)

This to the bracelet of my Blue Sub' with a club-hammer, wasn't the first time I've done something stupid and won't be the last...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    How did this happen?

I forgot that I had Speedmaster on and went swimming. I think that +35 in shade and cool mountain lake contributed to water ingress.

Craftsman
    Another drinking story
    Got back from a sunday lunchtime drink
    Back gate is stuck no problem get out the barstard file and trim it back
    Result hand slipped and managed to file my wrist and the clasp on
    my omega 300m
    Bloody wrist and filled clasp

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I am feeling a little less like the village idiot some of these are classics! It does point out the dangers of watches and booze. I guess everyone should have a drinking beater! 😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I was just going out to dinner with tbe other half and her parents when as were were about to pull off the drive I noticed a sneak window open.

I thought I'd just learn on the wheey bin to push it shut...

Luckily my fall was broken by the watch. The goudges were pretty bad and I though the bracelet was a goner! Breitling must have taken pity on me - £60 they charged for refurb/repair, but I could have sworn it was a replacement if I didn't know better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    ??? Say that again, in English

Remembered another one. That's a real damage that proved that one can scratch sapphire quite easily. I was sitting in a car, my hand pressed against window, and for reason unknown I decided to open window while my hand was still pressed at window. That resulted in 3 or 5 very faint and hard to see scratches.

Before

After

First day wearing my Hulk. I and wifey get in car and somehow our hands collide. Her solitaire diamond makes perfect millimetre contact with side of watch lug resulting in a scratch.

To have done that on purpose would probably have taken thousand of attempts!

Sort of crashed a Land Rover somewhere in a Kosovan mountain years ago and the gear stick pinged square into the face of my old Seiko 5. Smashed it, and a piece fell out (not into the dial).
    Inexpensive watch, but was my father’s from new, 1969 I think, and was my first proper watch.
    Massive sentimental value, but thankfully Seiko still did that crystal and all was well again in the world.

Craftsman
    Walking through hotel hallway door, wearing a relatively chunky Montblanc 4810, clipped the door frame and watch exploded off my wrist...luckily the carpet was 2 inches thick and bounced about 3 feet away

Spring bar snapped, so along to Timpson the next day for a quick repair and panic over

Craftsman
    One day when I was 9 my dad surprised me by giving me a watch of his that I liked (I think/hope a cheap metal digital Casio) which he’d had changed so the expanding strap would fit me.

The very next night for some reason I tried to throw the watch onto my bed, from my brother’s room across the corridor. It smacked onto the bed frame and never worked again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was pruning back the bushes in the garden (with a saw) as the branches were too thick for the pruning shears. So without any thought after successfully making light work of half a dozen or so ‘easy reach’ branches - I decided to tackle the tricky ones. At full stretch left arm and watch in hold position, right arm stretched with saw in tow - I started sawing. The stretch position was at best very uncomfortable. So I decided to quicken the pace sawing, whilst stretched out.... the saw jumped out of the branch and caught on something offering more resistance than a branch - my watch case - at least it saved my wrist!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Before

After
    Wow, pretty unlucky, smashing the crystal minutes after taking the first photo!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I don’t remember what I was doing or why, but I have a 2cm scar on the edge of my left index finger from an operation I had some 30 years ago to remove the innards of a spring bar, which I managed to shove out of the bar and into my finger with a screwdriver.

Pillock!
    Last edited by barreti; 21st May 2019 at 08:53.

Managed to short out a nice Seiko between the positive terminal of a car battery and the side of the wing... boy, that stung a tad :( Strangely, didn't do the watch a lot of good either! Also, wearing my Speedmaster (bought brand spanking new from Goldsmiths a week or so earlier), lifted the drivers seat to let the mutts in the back of the car, the dog caught the seatback which flew forward and the soft leather seat hit the watch and the complete bezel flew off!

Omega repaired it free of charge which amazed me and apart from the bezel flying like a bird, absolutely no damage to the watch, crystal (Hesalite) or bracelet.

Unhappy

I've dropped my watch this morning and the seconds hand came off.......

Can anyone tell me who can fix this ?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post

Reading other responses I’d say it’s easy diy job

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Reading other responses I’d say it’s easy diy job
    Yeah 4 pints and some super glue should do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wow, pretty unlucky, smashing the crystal minutes after taking the first photo!!
    Yes, was taking a snap for the" Friday" post.

Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Barrisimo View Post
    Yeah 4 pints and some super glue should do the trick!
    If you cover my expenses (4 pints), you can send it to me and I'll have a go.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    If you cover my expenses (4 pints), you can send it to me and I'll have a go.
    I will try it for 2 pints

Of Macallan 30:-)

Some excellent ones here. I have two stories, both from my distant youth, about a year or two apart, both involving alcohol and being rugby-tackled by the same eejit or our way home from a boozer.

First time, I went down on a snowy footpath and the way I fell my Tag Heuer 2000 somehow cut / bored into my wrist quite deeply (I have the scar to this day) but it itself was remarkably undamged. I mean, not so much as a swirly.

Second time, I had some atrocious marine militarie (which in my defence was a bit tongue-in-cheek, even then). The crystal broke into a load of bits, which was the end of the line for that one.

Happily, I still know the dude in question and he’s a bit better behaved these days :)