closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

Don't understand why more automatic watches don't come with power reserve indicators? The primary reason is to tell the time and how do you know sometimes that your watch will still be running the next morning? this also leads to you "over wearing" the watch to safeguard instead of putting it to one side whilst in the house.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Personally not a fan of power reserves on dials so for me its plus

I don't need a PR indicator to tell me how much reserve is left - I just remember the last time I wore it and from that can know roughly when it'll stop.

I do like PR indicators though.

Craftsman
    Very few pull it off without cluttering the dial too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As Hugh says, I normally know roughly when it will stop. If unsure and I want it running I'll shake it or wind it

I suspect it’s all down to cost as it considered a complication.

As an aside, there is no need for the PR indicator to be on the dial, providing the watch has a transparent back.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    I’ve yet to see one I like.

Got to agree, not a fan of power reserve indicators, to me for all the ones I’ve seen it unbalances the dial.

Seems a bit like only putting a fuel gauge in the filler flap doesn’t it! But agree with others here - especially with modern movements with long PR it’s not normally that useful however it’s the only complication I like because it tells you something about the watch rather than you inputting something into it, like using a Chrono. I used to have an Oris 111 with ten day reserve where you’d think it would be pointless but with a reserve THAT long it was really useful as you’d actually forget when you last wound it.

The PR on the IWC 7 day auto I had was lovely and useful.

Unfortunately it was too thick to wear under a cuff. It went (to LTF briefly) to part fund another watch which coincidentally has a PR

Master
    Not a fan and they actually put me off a watch. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out roughly what reserve is left.

I am a fan, my two GS have them and with their 72hr PR, it makes it easy to wear them in a small rotation. Not something I ever bothered with until I had a PR indicator. Seems a useful complication to me, as much as a date anyway.
    Last edited by mondie; 19th May 2019 at 16:20.

A small 'dial' in the centre of the watch, with an indicator hand on the bottom of the stack wouldn't be too bad. Or possibly make use of a part of the internal circumference beyond the chapter ring - Many watches (older Seikos) have used this space. What looks odd though is an indicator just plonked haphazardly somewhere on the dial. Unbalances things

Journeyman
    Good point. Im a huge fan of power reserve indicators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Very useful on a manual wind IMO. Never had this complication, but it's one I like.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

Because most people wear one watch all of the time, or at least most of the time.

I’m also not sure they’re that useful for collectors. If it’s a manual wind watch, wind it every day. If it’s an automatic, wind it when you put it on if you haven’t worn it for a day or two.

Only if you have a manual wind watch with a PR of 3+ days can I see the point, or perhaps if it’s a complicated watch which is a pain to set if it does run down.

Master
    I find them useful on watches that are part of a collection, and you want to keep them running. Can see the power left without having to pick it up and check the back.

When I had a GS spring drive, I'd give it a wind when it was getting low just to keep the accuracy intact.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Because they are generally awful, with some notable exceptions (Portuguese)

Master
    Must admit however useful or not they are. They always tend to look a bit unbalanced on the dial.

Master
    The only PRI on dial format that I don't detest is the linear type display on some PAM models, e.g. the 233. I have a couple of PAMs with a PRI visible through the caseback which I much prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Because they are generally awful ...
    Cliff, awful how - as in don't work or look bad? I think it's a good idea (albeit I've never owned one, so perhaps wishful thinking), especially in a decent-sized collection - I would want it on the movement though, not the dial.

Like many others here, I'm not a fan. The placement often seems like a design afterthought, and I've genuinely never been in a watch-wearing situation where I've had reason to wish I had a PR.

That may be partly due to the fact that I rarely wear the same watch two days running and therefore always assume I'll need to wind a watch and set the time when I choose it in the morning!

PRs actively put me off many Grand Seiko models, in particular...

Simon

Well, I was never a fan of power reserves on a dial, but now I have a GS Snowflake, it is the first watch function other than time and date that I have actually used and I find it more useful than a GMT function for example. Also the finishing on the reserve meter on the GS is incredible and really adds to the dial.

Master
    I think it's a great complication, reminiscent of old marine chronometers and railroad pocket watches where it was essential to know the power left in your watch.

Craftsman
    I've yet to see one that doesn't, in my eye, detract from the dial, so I'm glad they're not more commonplace!

Master
    I’ve never heard of over wearing - and the risks of wearing a watch in the house. Can you explain, please?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m not a fan, just another unnecessary complication to clutter up the dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Cliff, awful how - as in don't work or look bad? I think it's a good idea (albeit I've never owned one, so perhaps wishful thinking), especially in a decent-sized collection - I would want it on the movement though, not the dial.
    Fair point - I meant on the dial where I rarely see one I am glad is there, aesthetically speaking.

It’s funny how many people argue that they’re pointless. Nearly all watch complications are. The point is normally just that it’s a complication. And as complications go, it’s got to be one of the more useful ones, compared to say a moon phase?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I've yet to see one that doesn't, in my eye, detract from the dial, so I'm glad they're not more commonplace!
    This.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Wot no grammar police? This forum isn’t what it used to be.

Someone please show a power reserve indicator that complements a watch dial. I like the idea but generally not the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Someone please show a power reserve indicator that complements a watch dial.

I like a PR and find it a useful complication. I have a couple of automatics with the PR on the dial and a couple of manual wind with it on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Don't understand why more automatic watches don't come with power reserve indicators? The primary reason is to tell the time and how do you know sometimes that your watch will still be running the next morning? this also leads to you "over wearing" the watch to safeguard instead of putting it to one side whilst in the house.
    In the year I've owned my current automatic watch it has never run out of power, so it doesn't need an indicator to tell me it's working properly, telling the correct time tell me all I need to know.

Adding a power reserve indicator would be solving a problem that doesn't exist. Many people wear automatics daily for over a decade without servicing them, 'over wearing' isn't an issue I've heard of before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yup, that works

Journeyman
    Why not have a power and indicator dial on the back? Unobtrusive and does the job.

Master
    My autos are always running out, just wind them up, set the time and date and away I go. Not sure I need a pr indicator as its not exactly hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’ve never heard of over wearing - and the risks of wearing a watch in the house. Can you explain, please?

Generally speaking I would tend not to wear my watch whilst in the house,however as I don't know what power reserve is left and would it be still running in the morning I would continue to wear the watch.Hence the term I used - "over wearing".As regards the risks of wearing a watch whilst in the house I guess they are the same problem we all face which is banging it against doors etc..if I knew it would still be running in the morning I would of tucked it somewhere safe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Power reserve indicators were first used on marine chronometers and railway watches, the kind of environment where you couldn’t easily reset your watch if it stopped. In addition, knowing when the mainspring was in the most accurate power band helped the owner maintain accuracy.

When Jaeger-LeCoultre introduced them in the 1940s on some automatic watches, I’m guessing it was to reassure owners who weren’t used to relying on automatic winding.

Personally I like them, done well. Of course, people don’t ‘need’ them now, but we don’t ‘need’ mechanical watches at all. I think it’s OK to like them, particularly bearing in mind the historical context.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Personally not a fan of power reserves on dials so for me its plus
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Very few pull it off without cluttering the dial too much
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I’ve yet to see one I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Not a fan and they actually put me off a watch. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out roughly what reserve is left.
    As above ^^^ There are GS divers, Orient divers and others that I'd be very tempted to buy but won't simply because of power reserve indicators, like a cyclops they're a blight on a nice watch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I’m a fan of power reserves - and I think there are plenty of examples of them being done well - that dornbluth earlier, as well as f.p.journe and pp

But I’m increasingly a fan of having them on the back of the watch - given a power reserve doesn’t “do” much from hour to hour, then it’s definitely cleaner.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Why not have a power and indicator dial on the back? Unobtrusive and does the job.
    Thats what I have on my Radiomir and I love it. Not a complication I would seek out, and I very rarely like seeing them on the dial but on the case back its a perfect addition

Master
    Added complication, clutters the dial, people dislike them

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I would be quite unhappy if PR indicators on dials became a thing. Clutter.
    Don't mind them on the back if its absolutely necessary, which it never is.

Again, complications are hardly ever necessary, but a demonstration of ability. If we only bought watches with what was strictly necessary we'd all have Casio F91Ws

They ruin many Grand Seiko dials IMO and usually look like an afterthought appendage.

The Dornbluth posted earlier shows how it should be done if a PR is absolutely neccessary.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Croman View Post
    Good point. Im a huge fan of power reserve indicators

Me too. OK if you wear a particular watch most of the day then you won't need it, but if you are always swapping watches, then it would be very useful. I suppose the chance that you'll find your watch has stopped in the morning is part of the 'character' people claim that autos have.....

Master
    I like a power reserve on the dial especially when it is well done like this one. They are more useful on manual winds though, unless you live a particularly sedentary lifestyle

Journeyman
    I must say that I am a fan. Very useful on manually wind watches, particularly those with 8-day movements. I personally like them on some dials but they are also very useful on movements themselves.