closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

I find the function useful and it doesn’t distract from reading the time on this dial.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 20th May 2019 at 14:56.

Craftsman
    Adds a bit of colour, I like them

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I love a nice power reserve indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I love a nice power reserve indicator.

Completely spoils the watch - not! One of my favourite brands.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Some lovely examples posted. I think this one isn’t bad either.

I don’t think of this dial as cluttered as each dial, hand, numeral and mark has a purpose as well as being nicely finished. Certainly to my eyes it is less ‘cluttered’ than a three handed dive watch with 6 lines of text and a crown on the dial.

Why isn't there more power reserve indicators on dials?

My GS Diver would be perfect without it, but is still awesome even with it.
    As said earlier, it’s like a cyclops on all Rolex... unnecessary (except for the tiny 26mm ladies ones) and would perhaps look better without - but are fine with

Imagine without....

But with.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 20th May 2019 at 18:06.

very much the reason I bought this. I much prefer a PR so I know when to top it up

Craftsman
    I am a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kelv_w View Post
    very much the reason I bought this. I much prefer a PR so I know when to top it up
    I'll agree with you there.

But I think for the watches with an exhibition caseback I'd prefer it was on the back of the watch.

Then again that's personal taste, overall I am not that keen on busy dials (though there are exceptions, I do like the Speedmaster for example).

I don't have a problem with power reserves on dials, although this is my only watch that has it:
    (and no, it doesn't wear too big (for me) and yes, it does fit under my cuffs )

I've been thinking lately about selling my Damaskos and Voyager, as I find I'm preferring as few complications as possible these days. Maybe even my PRS-5 Broadarrow. However I'm pleased that there are watches with complications such as a power reserve for folks who value such features. There's something for everyone in this hobby.
    F.T.F.A.

Personally I like them, so long as they're tastefully done. In the case of many of the Grand Seiko's their addition adds interest to what can be a plain dial. This is especially true of the newer branded GS models, which unlike the image above, no longer have both the Seiko and Grand Seiko monikers on the dial.

A couple of beautifully executed designs here.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

GS PR indicators seem to divide opinion but in the metal they are A unobtrusive and B phenomenally well finished to the extent that they really add to the quality feel of the dial

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I think it's a great complication, reminiscent of old marine chronometers and railroad pocket watches where it was essential to know the power left in your watch.
    I like them for that reason as well! They were absolutely essential on a marine chronometer to serve as a reminder to wind and keep the instrument in a high state of wind. In the context of navigation good performance was quite literally vital.

Not so essential on a watch, and I do agree with many here that this complication is often implemented at the expense of dial aesthetics. Thankfully there are a few exceptions. e.g. the Portuguese, if anything I would say the power reserve improves the aesthetics of an already beautiful watch.

Another reason they are not that common may be that technically the implementation is not that straightforward. It was simpler on a marine chronometer where the "up and down work" was gearing directly with the fusee arbour. However, in a watch the barrel does not rotate when winding, while the barrel arbour does. When the watch unwinds, it is the opposite: the barrel arbour does not rotate, but the barrel does. So the power reserve indicator cannot simply be geared to the arbour or barrel. There is a need for a differential gear arrangement to to cope with this.

Craftsman
    L&S 1815 up/down PR dial looks good to me, nice and symmetrical.

Journeyman
    I’m looking at a 5712 because of the complications including power reserve.

A perfect example of an enhancement to an already beautiful dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    GS PR indicators seem to divide opinion but in the metal they are A unobtrusive and B phenomenally well finished to the extent that they really add to the quality feel of the dial

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I only have one watch with a power reserve, the Spring Drive 600m diver, and it would be much better without it. Mostly I think they ruin the look of a dial. Especially in the Seiko's case where it's offset and odd looking.

The only one I think I like is the Chopard GTXL, which adds a certain something.

Master
    Good shout re the Chopard. Their motoring associations make a gauge on the dial seem a natural thing.

I like power reserves on the dial myself and are more inclined to buy a watch that has one.
    Sadly they are rarer in the affordables arena.

Got one on my expensive spring drive and one on a seiko premier watch.

Would love one on a diver watch but only the orient triton seem to have them and they are a bit big at 43mm.

I have one and like it.

I have 2 and love them.
    Great to know how much juice is in there .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    IMO there are two reasons:

- they are an added complication and thus added expense.
    - they clutter the dial and most customers are not interested in a cluttered dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Why not have a power and indicator dial on the back? Unobtrusive and does the job.

That's why !

Master
    Makes more sense on a manual wind than and auto to me. One of the many reasons I didn't like my old PAM000 is that it was a manual wind with no second hand and no power reserve so you had to put it to you ear to know whether it was running

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app