closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed; Vintage car content?

Help needed; Vintage car content?

Good afternoon all

I have just finished cleaning out an old garage for an elderly local guy to me who’s moving into sheltered accommodation

He’s a character, but losing his memory etc - but can recall the war like it was yesterday!

I’ve found various interesting items but the one below seems cool - have a look

It looks like dials from a vintage dashboard
    The old boy had motorbikes until he was married, but doesn’t recall the vehicle or the dials

It interests me as it has Jaeger on the dial - so wondered if off a nice car?
    Looking to get it sold for him if worth anything in the future, along with another dial which I think I’ve idsntidied separately as some form of rev counter

Anyway - I know there are some real auto jumble and vintage enthusiasts amongst the forum

Any input appreciated please

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1cfb7fpwo/

The style of the instruments reminds me a lot of the Riley 1.5 from 1959. They aren't from the Riley but definitely the same era.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The style of the instruments reminds me a lot of the Riley 1.5 from 1959. They aren't from the Riley but definitely the same era.

Eddie
    Thanks very much - it has to be 60s I think
    I have had a quick google - but any money I can get for them can go towards his new place and a few trinkets for it

He had some medals, but sold them to a door knocker for not a lot of money years ago bless him

Master
    To me they look late 50s / early 60s. The speedo goes up to 100mph so I would guess it was was from a fairly standard or slightly fast saloon of the time (for comparison, iirc, my '62 Vitesse went up to 110mph).

The speedo looks fairly standard but the two twin gauges look like they have been styled to suit the car. I've had a quick look for similar gauges online but no luck. Perhaps the numbers beneath the odometer can give a clue. Or perhaps your friend has some old photos of him and his pride and joy.

An interesting find. I hope that you are able to get some money for you friend.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    To me they look late 50s / early 60s. The speedo goes up to 100mph so I would guess it was was from a fairly standard or slightly fast saloon of the time (for comparison, iirc, my '62 Vitesse went up to 110mph).

The speedo looks fairly standard but the two twin gauges look like they have been styled to suit the car. I've had a quick look for similar gauges online but no luck. Perhaps the numbers beneath the odometer can give a clue. Or perhaps your friend has some old photos of him and his pride and joy.

An interesting find. I hope that you are able to get some money for you friend.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    As mentioned - back in the day he was into bikes and he has no real recall of cars he had in the day
    Possibly just junk he had stored?
    It’s interesting to see some of the “junk” he has....

Plug's detective service to the rescue! I'm calling series 2 Singer Gazelle:

Cheers,

Plug

Edited: thought it was a Hillman Minx, but that's a lower spec model with fewer gauges.
    Last edited by Plug; 19th May 2019 at 17:13.

Craftsman
    Wolsey 1500 or Singer Chamois/Gazelle,Sunbeam Rapier as I recall,itwas a while ago tho but they all come from the same stock.

Triumphs also had/used Jaeger gauges/speedos similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    It’s interesting to see some of the “junk” he has....
    I can imagine it's a bit like my Dad's workshop. Lots of of bits of old machinery that only he knows what it is or where it's from.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Plug's detective service to the rescue! I'm calling series 2 Singer Gazelle:

Cheers,

Plug

Edited: thought it was a Hillman Minx, but that's a lower spec model with fewer gauges.
    That's them! I am hugely impressed.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

This is good detective work

I’m going to try and list it on eBay for him so I’ll use all the car makes mentioned in the heading

See what happens.

Your help is appreciated and if anything watch worthy pops up I’ll let you all know

He wears an old longines if he ever goes out for tea

Well done on helping out the old chap.
    Cheers,
    Neil.