closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1st world problems. Really having trouble making a decision.

Master

1st world problems. Really having trouble making a decision.

Basically I am having real trouble making a decision and I am seeking the forum wisdom and opinions.
    I have the opportunity to buy something very special (in my opinion) at a very reasonable price, but it would mean selling my 1675 GMT master to balance the books.
    On one hand even though I wear it very, very rarely I am quite attached to the 1675, and like it or not there’s no getting away from the fact that the value is has gone up over the last few years by quite a considerable margin. I don’t have a crystal ball, but the value could go up even further.
    On the other hand, I don’t think I’ll have the opportunity - or the spare cash for that matter - to purchase the watch I’m after for a long time, if ever.
    I already have a pretty good offer from a dealer on the Rolex. So before I take this offer or list it in sales corner I’m interested in opinions.
    And because we all like photos, here is the GMT master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

​er, you can’t really expect an answer if you don’t tell us what the ‘special’ watch is...

Craftsman
    As above, what's the other watch that you're interested in?

If it's a contemporary Rolex, no.

FP Journe, yes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Without details, TTIW.

Master
    Fair point. It’s a Patek.

For me, getting the right the Patek is an end-game in this watch collecting business. I had the white dialled 5711 for a bit but it wasn't the right watch for me. When the right time comes, I'll be selling off my Skydweller and Seadweller to get the funds together for a Patek. Obviously I've no idea what you are considering but I would be very tempted to do it if the Patek is the watch that your heart is set upon.

Craftsman
    Which Patek?

That’s a great looking watch. I’ve just added a coke and have been thinking about adding a Pepsi also but I need common sense to prevail!

As mentioned if it's an end game/grail then get it and enjoy it. If you're getting it because it's there, maybe it's not the one.

Me? Depending on the model I'd get the Patek in a heartbeat.

I am relatively new to this high end watch acquisition/collection but if you have a chance to obtain your dream watch and to achieve this, have to sell a watch that you don't wear enough but value had skyrocketed during this time.
    I think the answer is quite clear.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post

Come on OP. That is a pathetic response. Patek in itself is not an answer. Give some proper details otherwise Im out trying to give you my opinion.

I have a very similar dilemma involving my 1680 red sub and an FPJ. I am quite inclined to sell the sub.

Which PP are you after?

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post

Why are you being so coy? Which one?

Sinon

Master

1st world problems. Really having trouble making a decision.

Basically I’ve been prompted by my forthcoming birthday (40th) and I fancy a full on mid life crisis watch purchase. Also, I’ve been thinking about broadening the horizons of my all be it small collection a little bit. Over the years I have acquired four GMT masters (amongst others) in various guises and I have to say that I think I want something different and a little more variety.

I have been thinking about a 5146G for many years now since trying one in a shop whilst buying my wife’s wedding ring, but I’ve never been keen on the moon phase display and never had the balls to spend that money on one.

At present though, there are two PPs that I’m thinking about. The first is the 5035J annual calendar without the moon phase but with the 24hrs display, and the other is the 5134J travel time - a watch which I saw 4 or 5 years ago, I can’t quite remember where, but I think at the Patek exhibition at the Saachi Gallery. The appearance of an example on SC recently kick started the thought process around getting together the funds to make a big purchase.

In either case, this won’t be something I’ll wear regularly - once in a blue moon I should imagine.

I do of course know they are two very different watches in terms of functionality. I have had watches without a date function before, and moved them on fairly rapidly, but do I really need a date function - and an annual calendar at that - for something I’ll only wear every now and then?? Not really and given that this will be a once in a blue moon wearer, I am thinking that the annual calendar could be a bit of a pain in the back side on the rare occasions I’ll want to wear the watch.

The Travel time on the other hand may be a little easier to live with being hand wound and easier to set and also, I travel a far bit (only around Europe) for work and so the time zone function would actually get used from time to time - as does the 24 hour hand on my GMTs.

But I’ve liked the annual calendar for many years now, as have I the 1675 GMT master....

Like I said, 1st world problems,

Last edited by Piemuncher22; 18th May 2019 at 18:18.

Master
    May as well get on with the crisis :)
    Out of those two 5146g for me with the slate grey dial. Good size, better dial, better complication IMO.
    We only live once and if you change your mind in a year or two you will not loose anything.

Well, there's a coincidence! The watch I'm after is FPJ's Chronometre Optimum. In order to get this, I'm probably going to have to sell not only my (1971) red sub:

...but also my (2011) 5146G.

As you can no doubt appreciate, this is not an easy decision. I'm currently putting out feelers regarding the values of these two.

Craftsman
    Why get such an expensive watch and never wear it ,what's the point of having it

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Go for the Patek, logical conclusion to most watch collections

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app