closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Geographic Ref. Q142892

Journeyman

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Geographic Ref. Q142892

I'm slowly building up my knowledge of brands however I know very little about JLC. In particular the master control geographic looks fantastic (to me) and is both available and at a significant discount.

Any thoughts on this piece greatly appreciated, accuracy and value retention are important, would i be taking a bath on this one?

thanks all

steve

Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve View Post
    I'm slowly building up my knowledge of brands however I know very little about JLC. In particular the master control geographic looks fantastic (to me) and is both available and at a significant discount.

Any thoughts on this piece greatly appreciated, accuracy and value retention are important, would i be taking a bath on this one?

thanks all

steve
    Depends on what you are paying for it but if it's more than £5k you won't get your money back. No point trying to sell it here as a disproportionately high number of members seem to buy only Rolex so I'd look to shift it on WUS as there are more true watch enthusiasts there IMHO. Not saying there aren't enthusiasts here as there are but there's also a lot of people who think owning 3 sports Rolexes makes them a 'collector' lol.

The watch itself is lovely - JLC are a well respected brand, a notch above Rolex and Omega quality wise and probably on par with Grand Seiko and Glashutte Original but not quite at the level of AP and Patek
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th May 2019 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    ... on WUS (...) are more true watch enthusiasts...

... JLC are a well respected brand, a notch above Rolex and Omega quality wise and probably on par with Grand Seiko and Glashutte Original but not quite at the level of AP and Patek

Let the games begin....

(I don't disagree with anything you say).
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Hi Omegasteve. I have the Master Geographic model that you are considering. I love it and as Ryan says I think in some respects you would find it a cut above a typical Rolex for similar or less money.

It’s a beautifully finished watch. The dial and hands are well worth admiring under a loupe. Not everyone likes the typefaces used on the dial; I do, and I don’t think you can dispute the quality of the finishing.
    If you get the stainless steel white dial version, be aware that at certain angles the highly polished silver hour and minute hands can be hard to read in bright light against the white dial. A slight tilt of the wrist always fixes this and I do this without thinking now so it doesn’t bother me. The fine lines of lume serve no purpose at all.

Jaeger-LeCoultre are all about movements, especially with complications. It’s worth reading up about their track record of unique in house movements. A lot of makes these days synthesise a horological heritage. JLC are the real deal - take a look at the Gyrotourbillon and Spherotourbillon to see what they are capable of. The JLC Calibre 929 in the 142.8.92 is a beautiful movement, also used by other makers such as AP in much more expensive watches.

Mine currently runs between +1s and +2s per day very reliably, since I had it serviced about three years ago by Webwatchmaker on this forum (who took the movement picture above). It isn’t cheap to service and some people complain about the official servicing from Richemont which is why I went independent.

It was the timezone complication that first drew me to the watch. I travel for work a lot and I find it works very well for me. Once you understand it, it is very flexible and easy to read. You can choose whether you want the main or secondary dials as local time, depending on your preference. I have found the watch totally reliable and a pleasure to use in my ownership, throughout all my travels.

In financial terms, I think it is probably worth something close to what I paid for it second hand from a dealer about 5 years ago, a little bit less I expect, ignoring the cost of the service. I would never want to sell it and I’d be happy if it was my only watch.

The 142.8.92 reference you mention in your post is the one I have. It isn’t available new now but second-hand ones are around. The current model is the 142.8.421 I think. Very similar but not the same. If you are buying new, or just want a browse, the boutique in Bond Street is very nice. Ask for a ‘tour’ of the movement display at the back if you really want to learn about JLC history. I am sure that Ryan is right that you won’t get your money back on a new one.

As you can see I am a fan of the watch and the company. Others may have different views but if you go ahead I hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine has given to me.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Mine currently runs between +1s and +2s per day very reliably, since I had it serviced about three years ago by Webwatchmaker on this forum (who took the movement picture above). It isn’t cheap to service and some people complain about the official servicing from Richemont which is why I went independent.

It is a beautiful and practical movement. One of JleCs best in my opinion. It is used by AP amongst others.
    A pleasure to service but a full day and a halfs work. I certainly charge a lot less than Richemont and I am a lot quicker ! Not everyone wants to live in the Vallée Joux !
    1+ to 2+ seconds per day. Thanks, I am pleased to hear that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    [IMG]I certainly charge a lot less than Richemont and I am a lot quicker ! Not everyone wants to live in the Vallée Joux !
    1+ to 2+ seconds per day. Thanks, I am pleased to hear that.
    Still running like a dream Brendan, thanks.

Journeyman
    thanks for the advice/insight, really appreciate the 1st hand experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    JLC is a fantastic brand. I certainly would not dissuade you from buying your model of choice, just don’t buy it new.

Plenty of 2nd hand about

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Still running like a dream Brendan, thanks.
    Thanks Alfat,
    I put it down to care by the owner and correct lubrication.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk