closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Watchfinder

Master

Buying from Watchfinder

I am thinking about buying from them and wondering what discount I could get off the advertised price to make my numbers ‘work’.
    Tbh they are not my most favourite company but the watch in question is not that widely available. I do have one other option but the WF watch seems to be in better condition.
    So what have others got off 5%, 10%, nothing ??
    Thanks in advance.

Ive bought from them twice, a Speedmaster Reduced and an Explorer. I managed to get 10% of the first and nothing off the second. I guess the first was down to it being a not so popular model and the last as they are usually in demand.

Master
    Depends on the watch - I have generally been offered 5-8% but not for example on sports Rolex

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got £300 off an Explorer.

Master
    Watchfinder price = X

Discount available = Y

Average market price = Z

(X - Y) > Z

And there endeth today's (maths) lesson

Craftsman
    If its a SS Sports watch than I don't think you will get any discount.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If they have the watch on Chrono24 you can suggest a lower price to them

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    And count the links on the bracelet.....

Master
    If not a Rolex then I'd aim for 10%.

Master
    Thanks for all the feedback. No bracelet and not Rolex so hopefully that will all help.
    If I can get 10% then the maths will work.
    Will see.....

Craftsman
    I'd push for more then 10% if it is not a rolex.

Their buy price & sell price its above 60% on a number of brands

Craftsman
    No joy for me either from them. But then again I was interested in the 2nd hand VC FiftySix Complete Calendar (which is of course a Richemont brand) at 17.5k and I pointed out that I could have a NEW one off Chrono24 for £15k.

They wouldn’t budge. It’s still on their website now and I fear it is destined to stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    No joy for me either from them. But then again I was interested in the 2nd hand VC FiftySix Complete Calendar (which is of course a Richemont brand) at 17.5k and I pointed out that I could have a NEW one off Chrono24 for £15k.

They wouldn’t budge. It’s still on their website now and I fear it is destined to stay there.

Interesting as the 4500v they had listed a was circa 16k (17.5 is the retail) but they're buying them at 10k.

There is only one reason I can think of why they wouldn't discount VC sales anymore but it's to do with an upcoming program within Richemont.

I half expect watchfinder will delist it and then realist it a month later, something that they do alot to try and increase demand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Interesting as the 4500v they had listed a was circa 16k (17.5 is the retail) but they're buying them at 10k.

There is only one reason I can think of why they wouldn't discount VC sales anymore but it's to do with an upcoming program within Richemont.

I half expect watchfinder will delist it and then realist it a month later, something that they do alot to try and increase demand.

Indeed I think there is a big degree of Richemont interference here in trying to prop up the price, but they first need sort out the amount of stock that ends up new on the grey market.

Can get a 4500V from Heritage watches in the UK, Wingoo in Italy and Uhren trader in Germany, new for about 12.5k.

The 4500v on WF has gone so curious to know whether it sold at that price or magically disappeared as you say...

Journeyman
    i manage to squeeze 5% on moonwatch :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    And count the links on the bracelet.....
    I'd definitely second that.

Discount wise, I've managed about £200 ish which equated to ~10%

As others have said, it really depends on the watch

Journeyman
    yep they hustled me over bracelet links, but i manage to get them :D

Master
    My Seamaster 2254, my first serious watch, came from Watchfinder in 2008. At that time there was only the one shop, in Maidstone, where I live. I got a 1 year old 2254 (RRP £1300), still with a year on the Omega warranty (only 2 years then) for £895. Box, papers & all the links. It was a very pleasant buying experience.
    From what I've read & observations I've made, Watchfinder is not run the same way these days. Recently I've been looking for a DJ41 & Watchfinder had them but the pricing markup & the attitude of some of the staff put me off buying from them. My last 2 purchases were from ADs & were entirely hassle free. I got a new DJ at RRP, rather than a secondhand one for 50% over RRP.
    Last edited by Speedy2254; 23rd May 2019 at 09:48. Reason: Fat finger syndrome

Journeyman
    I got 5%, but was told returning customers could expect more

Master
    Blog Entries
    There’s enough ‘fat’ in their prices to negotiate for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post

They used to be a high volume, high turnover outfit, but with this recent hype, which they are the market if not global market leaders of now, they hold firm on their high prices, and discounts and negotiating is much less common.

Blog Entries

My experience

I’ve bought from them a fair bit. I used to get a bit of discount even on sports Rolex between 3-8%.

I bought a Submariner 116613 about two/ three years ago and they opted to give me a ‘wrist’ fitting service, which I thought how kind. They then sent me an £8k watch with 3 links missing, as they had ‘fitted’ for me. Clearly a money scheme to pinch excessive links - I went ballistic and they sent me one additional link. Coincidentally thats when the discounts and deals stopped, around the time they were taken over.

Since then their selling prices have rocketed and there trade in prices have dropped. Not for me anymore but clearly this is just my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post

... their selling prices have rocketed and there trade in prices have dropped. Not for me anymore but clearly this is just my opinion.
    Thing is, I don't think it is just your opinion. I reckon a fair few people have come to the same conclusion as you & begun to look elsewhere.
    Watchfinder have an ebay shop where you can buy bracelet links, straps with no buckles & the buckles that have been removed from their straps.
    When pressed they admit that these are from watches they take in - they sell them separately if they feel they are saleable.. Your missing links may well have passed this way.
    This kind of behaviour & some of the attitudes from certain of the sales force have put me right off using them.

Master
    This was always likely; Richemont didn’t buy Watchfinder just to own a second-hand watch store. I assume the real strategy is to support Richemont products and inflate their used value.
    Making a profit will be secondary, for now at least.