closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden bird and insect friendly wood preserver/varnish

Master

Garden bird and insect friendly wood preserver/varnish

Got a couple of little wooden insect houses (!) for the garden, and a bird box, from Wilko.

Small print on the label says they recommend applying a "suitable non toxic wood preserver or varnish".

I've looked online and in Wilko and there wasn't anything I could see that gave a clue as to what was (or wasn't) "wildlife friendly".

Any advice gratefully received.

Master
    Osmo oil. But I wouldn’t bother, they’re not designed to last long. Finally got a pair of blue tits nesting in a box I put up 8 years ago, I think they like it weathered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    But I wouldn’t bother, they’re not designed to last long. Finally got a pair of blue tits nesting in a box I put up 8 years ago, I think they like it weathered.
    Fair point about the expected life of the boxes. Just thought it was nice to bang them up and have them there for a few years.

I looked at one of the Osmo exterior products and it said it contains "biocides to resist the growth of algae, mildew and fungal attack". I'm not sure whether that would harm birds and insects!