closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exciting new watch arrived today thread!

Exciting new watch arrived today thread!

Ok, it's a Vostok, and a non-special edition Komandirskie at that. However, it's been a hell of a long time since I've bought a non SE Vostok - probably a good few years in fact. In that time I've bought plenty of Swiss loveliness such as Rolex,Titoni, Omega, Breitling, Titoni, Tudor, Zenith, Titoni, etc, so when I saw this one brand new on eBay for £55 posted I couldn't resist going back to my Russian watch collecting roots.

What has surprised me though, and what makes this watch worthy of a thread, is how much better quality this watch feels compared to the Vostoks of old. You can still buy the crappy old Komandirskies if you're feeling nostalgic but the newer ones are truly a class above. Here's some pics and more details:

The new models are essentially Amphibias so you get 200m of water resistance (although 200m could be underselling it: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Results-are-in!)

The traditional crappy Vostok bracelet... but wait! While the new bracelet is still cheap and tinny, this one breaks with tradition by actually being comfortable. I've been wearing it 4 hours and not a single hair has been removed from my wrist and nor have I been tempted to chuck it in the bin yet. Result!

That horrible pressed steel crown has gone, replaced with a soild version that is easy to grip. Still wobbly when unscrewed as it should be.

Decent bezel with a proper insert. No chrome-plated brass piece of junk with red and black circles any more. A case that is very nicely brushed too.

It's green!

So there you have it - the best cheap automatic watch in the world just got better. The UK seller I bought it from still has 2 left if anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/pagerman4...72.m2749.l2754
    Or just head to Meranom: https://meranom.com/en/index.php?rou...ry&path=47_174

Splendid looking thing!

My first Vostok was one of the old manual wind 'Sub commander' models. I wore it daily for about 5 years on the original bracelet which came apart twice and I have to cobble together. At the time I worked in acute in patient mental health services for teenagers and it led a hard life due to the everyday rough and tumble - it survived everything. As I recall I paid £22 for it brand new.

These new ones look great and the bracelet looks very promising indeed. Shame that they don't offer a no date dial option.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Splendid looking thing!

My first Vostok was one of the old manual wind 'Sub commander' models. I wore it daily for about 5 years on the original bracelet which came apart twice and I have to cobble together. At the time I worked in acute in patient mental health services for teenagers and it led a hard life due to the everyday rough and tumble - it survived everything. As I recall I paid £22 for it brand new.

These new ones look great and the bracelet looks very promising indeed. Shame that they don't offer a no date dial option.
    It's an extra $50 but there's an SE no-date version:

Meranom will also swap out dials if you ask so plenty of no-date options too: https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...atch-dial.html & https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...e-parts/dials/

A few years ago I was tempted by this

Unfortunately, it took a long while for the case design to get under my skin and by the time I was properly keen on it, it was long gone.

I remember that one and like you I delayed too long before trying to order

I love the ivory and gold dial

Nice find. Just own one Vostok (scuba dude) and pretty impressed with it so far. Due to the low price it is also fun to play around with, I brushed case and bezel for a less shiny look.

Reading in the design (crystal, crown and gasket) made me more impressed. Some thought went into that and resulted in some nice design choices (in such a cheap watch....)

I hope the sandwich dials will reappear one day, I missed those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    That looks nice without trying to look like everyone else’s watches. Pretty good price point as well!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I really like those, particularly the blue one. Much nicer than many I have seen while still retaining that Vostok character. Hmm, the list gets longer....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A few years ago I was tempted by this

Unfortunately, it took a long while for the case design to get under my skin and by the time I was properly keen on it, it was long gone.
    I bought this version, love it. It came on a pretty decent bracelet but I'm very happy with the appearance of it on this vintage Perlon.

Not the biggest fan of the non-quickset date on Vostoks but I do like the SE Komandirskie pictured earlier.

Journeyman
    Did the Kommaderski cases not used to be chromed steel ?? , looks like they are stainless now,

Scottie

Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    Did the Kommaderski cases not used to be chromed steel ?? , looks like they are stainless now,

Scottie
    They were chrome-plated brass. The new ones are indeed stainless steel.
    Did anyone here buy one of the eBay watches I linked to? I notice it's gone.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    That was what put me of the Kommanderski, not bothered about it being an auto, hand wind is fine by me,
    I take it the bezel is the same size fitment as the million aftermarket bezels, a s before?

scottie

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    That would be me.
    Arrived today well ahead of schedule.
    Adjusting the bracelet nearly broke my pin remover.
    I love it.
    My only other Boctok is a green faced "scuba dude" which after several years of being in the "round to it" box now ticks away happily again.
    I agree with what Lampoc says about the case finish,bezel and bracelet however the bracelet is still a "hair puller". Ouch.

Note to self:- Stop buying nostalgia you'll never have enough spare cash to get the PO repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    That would be me.
    Arrived today well ahead of schedule.
    Adjusting the bracelet nearly broke my pin remover.
    I love it.
    My only other Boctok is a green faced "scuba dude" which after several years of being in the "round to it" box now ticks away happily again.
    I agree with what Lampoc says about the case finish,bezel and bracelet however the bracelet is still a "hair puller". Ouch.

Note to self:- Stop buying nostalgia you'll never have enough spare cash to get the PO repaired.
    Good stuff. I must have got lucky with my bracelet as, despite having reasonably hairy arms, I haven't experienced any hair pulling at all!

I know it's only two days since it arrived but I am quite impressed.
    It has only gained 1 (yes one) second in two days.
    The date when it changes makes a very reassuring "clunk" sound.
    Yes the stem is "wobbly" (wouldn't have it any other way) however hand winding is quite precise.
    My old "scuba dude" takes a lot of patience and getting the crown at a certain angle when winding.
    Also the bracelet has stopped pulling hairs.

Master
    Отлич!