closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2019 Seiko Samurai "Save the Ocean - Great White Shark" Special Edition Review

2019 Seiko Samurai "Save the Ocean - Great White Shark" Special Edition Review

Well, we all know the new Samurai, and I owned one last year (blue, waffle dial). A great chunk of watch for the money!

The new Save the Ocean Great White Shark special edition is now out on release. Announced at Basel 2019, I pre ordered as soon as I saw the dial!

Waves? Yeah... actual waves!!

You need to catch the dial in light to see the waves. Indoors, its a lovely muted blue sunburst, so its not too in your face or gimmicky.

Look closer... Seiko has given the dial and hands a couple of subtle Great White Shark references:

The first, is close to the 7 o'clock marker on the dial - a subtle shark fin poking out from a wave:

Second, and it took me a while to notice it, we have a tail fin on the seconds hand (which is painted a silvery grey, like a great white).

Last change worthy of mention is the bezel insert. To the naked eye, its a lovely satin finish. You immediately notice that the indicies/markers are in fact engraved/cut out. A nice touch. I'm not sure what material its made from.. probably aluminium? Can they engrave aluminium like this? Anyway.. look closer... the satin finish is in fact created via perfectly cut circular lines. A really nice touch:

A quick wrist roll video here shows you how the light dances on the dial:
    https://vimeo.com/336772411

All in all... I love it. Playful colour and detail but subtle enough that I won't bore of the novelty. Seiko does it again!
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 18th May 2019 at 12:25.

I like everything about it except the waves for some reason.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I went out of my way to catch the sunlight in the pictures.... Its a bit more subtle in reality.

Beautiful watch. I didn't use to like blue dials and bezels but it has been growing on me.

Always liked a Seiko Samurai and that blue is the right balance between noticeable and subdued in indoors lighting.
    Love all the textures with the bezel and of course the Samurai crown knurling.

Apprentice
    That looks great. I hadn't noticed the details in the bezel insert in any pictures before. Very nice extra touch.

Journeyman
    Incredible watch!

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka