closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sailing - the Solent in June

Journeyman

Sailing - the Solent in June

Morning all

Hopefully a South coast sailor or two amongst us.

I've done all of my sailing outside peak seasons, which has meant a Gill OS2 suit has been the order of the day. I've now got a 10 day sail out of Gosport (all coastal) at the end of June and I'm looking at the OS2 thinking it'll be overkill.

What do you tend to outfit yourselves in for a summer sail?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    Morning all

Hopefully a South coast sailor or two amongst us.

I've done all of my sailing outside peak seasons, which has meant a Gill OS2 suit has been the order of the day. I've now got a 10 day sail out of Gosport (all coastal) at the end of June and I'm looking at the OS2 thinking it'll be overkill.

What do you tend to outfit yourselves in for a summer sail?
    It's The Solent, keep the OS2 close by!
    Seriously, if you are going out on the water you should pack for any eventuality so layers is my advice. Last summer I was out in shorts and t-shirt one week and waterproofs the next.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    It's The Solent, keep the OS2 close by!
    Seriously, if you are going out on the water you should pack for any eventuality so layers is my advice. Last summer I was out in shorts and t-shirt one week and waterproofs the next.
    This! i did a lot of sailing in the Solent and can honestly say I can count the "shorts" days on the fingers of one hand and the long-weekend in the summer in waterproofs on more than my fingers and toes.

Blog Entries
    Musto HPX here. I am on my third set since 2000/01. I also use a BR1 for inland sailing or the RIB during the end of May -> mid-September.

I wear my HPX for nearly all my saltwater trips. I tend to pack the Musto BR1 jacket for the warmer days but even then, I still wear my HPX trousers (long johns) with my BR1. Mix and not-so-matching... True about last year. Near Plymouth in July, I only wore shorts and a short-sleeved shirt + boat shoes (for once a no-name el cheapo brand. They fell apart after a week in the sun and salt... Back to Sebago now).

Curious to know - for another thread or PM perhaps: what vest /PFD do you use?

As above...stick with your current waterproof gear. You don't have to wear it if it's not needed.

I tend to wear sailing boots whenever we're going to sea...with or without socks for warmth depending upon the weather. My boat shoes are kept for around the marina or short trips when I'm sure that they'll stay dry.

Often I start out with my waterproof trousers and a lightweight fleece top or simply a long sleeved shirt (anti-sun). From there I can easily layer up if it turns cold or wet. I'll have to take off my lifejacket but I won't have to struggle with boots and trousers until the sailing is over and done with.

If it's really warm, then I'll wear quick drying trousers rather than waterproofs and who cares if they get wet...so long as I don't get cold.

Blog Entries

Sailing - the Solent in June

Long-sleeved with UV filter on sunny days is always a good idea. I started wearing those during the second half of last year's hot summer. I shouid have started earlier. Nowadays, I even tend to wear that gear when driving a car with the top down. Small detail about UV-protecting gear: during dinghy sailing regattas in warmer European countries, the sailing instructions state that long-sleeved UV 'rash' shirts are mandatory for the sailors. The same rule was applied last year during the ISAF Youth Sailing World Championship in Corpus Christi (Texas).

Menno

One of the sunniest days last Summer, south of the Breakwater near Plymouth

Last edited by thieuster; 20th May 2019 at 19:47.

Craftsman
    One of the many nice days last summer. Around 23o and water temp of 20o.
    I still needed a fleece on at 25knts.

Portland Marina

Journeyman
    All brilliantly helpful responses, thank you folks.

I will pack the OS2. As per PickleB, I usually start with the salopettes and a fleece or long-sleeved top unless it's already pouring or blowing a gale (as it was when we went out during Storm Hannah a few weeks back!). Just wasn't sure whether I'd be going overboard (no pun intended) with salopettes in the middle of summer!

Couple of lovely pics above to keep me excited in amongst all this chat of planning for the worst!

A thread revival...but not about the Solent in June.

I enjoyed this video and so I thought I'd post it on here:

Blog Entries
    Around 1’45”: when the sailplan looks like that and the sails in use are orange coloured, it’s serious bad weather!