closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blancpain releases 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Thanks for the update and photos Mike. I can only view on my phone (at work) but the Barakuda looks a little larger than the MilSpec (maybe the coin edge?). I'm still keen on the Barakuda, so definitely still going for it.

I've always envisioned my "ideal FF" as being your mocked up version (maybe 42mm instead of 40.3mm) with gloss dial but without the moisture indicator - but in reality the lack of colour might kill it.

How matt is the Barakuda dial in reality? In some photos, it doesn't seem very matt. It's maybe clearer when I can view full screen later.

Thanks again.
    Not a problem at all, I tried to get as many pics as possible in varying light, but photos can only tell so much.

Funnily enough I think 42 would be the FF's sweet spot in size, I have a seiko "fifty five" and i really like the size of it, the thick bezel overhanging bezel means it will always wear smaller than an equivalent watch that has more mid case.

The dial is very matte, think vintage Rolex matte, the photo i posted further up shows how matte it is in the sunshine.

Master
    I think the baracuda looks amazing. My only caveat is on the size, it may be a little small for me. I have the standard ff and find it the perfect size.
    Anyway any tips on where I could source a baracuda? I am in NI so no local AD, not on the entire island AFAIK.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Admitedely, the rotor did make me sigh, its a bit gash and i'd prefer something simple, upside you can't see it when it's on the wrist lol, and they make up for it by the semi-skeletonized gears which look cool.

Date at 3, coin edge bezel, tropic strap, vintage white hands... almost perfect.
    Photoshop of what could have been

Personally I prefer the released version by some margin, although I wouldn’t kick either out of bed...

I’d dearly love to add the Baracuda as well.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th May 2019 at 15:14.

Blancpain releases 2019

Tony, cracking photo! Did you buy with bracelet or add separately? Wondering about adding this for the Barrakuda. Chrono24 prices imply a c£3k premium, which I wouldn’t pay.

Tony, cracking photo! Did you buy with bracelet or add separately? Wondering about adding this for the Barrakuda. Chrono24 prices imply a c£3k premium, which I wouldn’t pay.
    Thanks, and this one came with the bracelet (there weren’t many that did, though).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks, and this one came with the bracelet (there weren’t many that did, though).
    How does the 40mm wear size wise? I found the 40mm Rolex GMT2 a bit small.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    How does the 40mm wear size wise? I found the 40mm Rolex GMT2 a bit small.

As expected, really. It has a fair amount of heft and some real wrist presence.

Personally I prefer the released version by some margin, although I wouldn’t kick either out of bed...

I’d dearly love to add the Baracuda as well.
    Still waiting for your promised blog entry about the Mil Spec. A spectacular watch indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Still waiting for your promised blog entry about the Mil Spec. A spectacular watch indeed.
    Good point, Raj - I’ve been a bit tied up with bikes but I must get around to writing it.

Master
    As expected, really. It has a fair amount of heft and some real wrist presence.
    Thanks. I just love that bracelet btw.

I tried the Barakuda on yesterday in the Bond St AD.

Pros
    - Perfect size for me
    - Red markers are a nice touch
    - Date window is where it should be
    - Strap is great, very short (and I have small wrists) but these were just prototypes
    - Really clean dial

Cons
    - The bezel to dial ratio is bit off.
    - I don't dislike aged lume, but I would take regular lume plots any day of the week

Perfection for me would be the milspec lume plots on the barakuda.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    I tried the Barakuda on yesterday in the Bond St AD.

Pros
    - Perfect size for me
    - Red markers are a nice touch
    - Date window is where it should be
    - Strap is great, very short (and I have small wrists) but these were just prototypes
    - Really clean dial

Cons
    - The bezel to dial ratio is bit off.
    - I don't dislike aged lume, but I would take regular lume plots any day of the week

Perfection for me would be the milspec lume plots on the barakuda.
    Forgot to add - they were extremely friendly in there. And I was a first time visitor with no purchase history

Craftsman
    I love the Barakuda, nice nod to the milspecs. Very cool piece

Upside they now make a longer 20mm Sailcloth for the 40mm case, took some back and forth with Blancpain last year but it now exists :)

Hopefully the production tropic comes in a sensible size!

Master
    If the barakuda was 45mm I would have been all over it, but feel it would be too small for me. Shame as I had managed to source one from a UK AD.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is also this

I really like this.

I can't find a price anywhere online though, does anyone know the cost please?

Thanks.

Upside they now make a longer 20mm Sailcloth for the 40mm case, took some back and forth with Blancpain last year but it now exists :)

Hopefully the production tropic comes in a sensible size!
    This is my only worry about my order. That and whether there will be a stock deployant that will fit :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I really like this.

Thanks.
    £20k+ based on the rose gold black dial price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So about the same price as a Yachtmaster 42mm in white gold. For me, it’s the Rolex that tempts. But then I like white gold.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    If the barakuda was 45mm I would have been all over it, but feel it would be too small for me. Shame as I had managed to source one from a UK AD.

Haven't managed to get to see either of these two yet, which is unusual for me, as I'm a big Fifty Fathoms fan, however I have to agree with you Rob, it would have been nice to see the barakuda in 45mm as well as the 40mm tribute version and had that been the case I've have paid my deposit by now. I saw a bracelet version like Tony's in New York and though I love the bracelet and it's so well made , again it lacks the micro adjustment I believe it should have at this price point.
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 1st June 2019 at 21:08.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I really like this.

Thanks.
    They can be had secondhand , I bought one nearly two years ago from this very forum , lovely watch and weight was amazing , but for me it was a white elephant , beautifully constructed( all modern Blancpains watches are top shelf IMO ) there was just something wrong for me, it's a tool watch, waterproof and large with terrific lime ( probably the best shine and duration lume that's out there with out being tubes ) , yet it's made from rose gold , which is more often aligned with dress watches with Calender complications , it didn't last the month with me. I also have a Fifty Fathoms complete Calender in steel with the blue dial, it's beautiful but honestly it will be sold to go back to a standard Fifty Fathoms when I get the time to list it . The standard Fifty Fathoms is a hard act to compete with in my opinion .
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 1st June 2019 at 21:10.

Any views from those have smallish (6.75") wrists who have tried the 40mm and 45mm BP FF cases? Is the 40mm a much better fit? I've always assumed the 45mm would be too large. Thanks

Any views from those have smallish (6.75") wrists who have tried the 40mm and 45mm BP FF cases? Is the 40mm a much better fit? I've always assumed the 45mm would be too large. Thanks
    My wrists are about 7” and the 40mm was spot on. It’s got a lot of presence, but counter balanced by short lugs.

45mm would look silly IMO

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    45 mm is far too big on my 6.75 “ wrist which is why I’m excited about the Barakuda

Master
    Thanks for the great pics, Air Command does look very good.

Thanks guys. I popped into my local AD and tried the standard 45mm, not as bulky as I thought it would be, but I think just a little bulky for day-to-day. So, I'll stick with the Barakuda.

If anyone is looking for a Barakuda, I had secured one with 2 other dealers, and can pass on details.

I was offered Kash's 40mm FF and no matter how many times I tried it on it looked tiny and my wrists are 6.75". I actually thought it was a boys watch. The 45mm has very short lugs so is more wearable than its size suggests. Out of the 40mm and 45mm I opted for the titanium 45mm. I do think 42mm would be a absolutely perfect though.

Just a heads up, Guys at Chisholm in Edinburgh have let me know they may have a free Barakuda if any one is interested.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I was offered Kash's 40mm FF and no matter how many times I tried it on it looked tiny and my wrists are 6.75". I actually thought it was a boys watch. The 45mm has very short lugs so is more wearable than its size suggests. Out of the 40mm and 45mm I opted for the titanium 45mm. I do think 42mm would be a absolutely perfect though.
    I’m with you there Tony. The 45mm is just a tad too large and with the big bezel 40mm too small. 42mm or maybe 43mm would be ideal

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    £20k+ based on the rose gold black dial price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEbru1512 View Post
    They can be had secondhand , I bought one nearly two years ago from this very forum , lovely watch and weight was amazing , but for me it was a white elephant , beautifully constructed( all modern Blancpains watches are top shelf IMO ) there was just something wrong for me, it's a tool watch, waterproof and large with terrific lime ( probably the best shine and duration lume that's out there with out being tubes ) , yet it's made from rose gold , which is more often aligned with dress watches with Calender complications , it didn't last the month with me. I also have a Fifty Fathoms complete Calender in steel with the blue dial, it's beautiful but honestly it will be sold to go back to a standard Fifty Fathoms when I get the time to list it . The standard Fifty Fathoms is a hard act to compete with in my opinion .
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I’m with you there Tony. The 45mm is just a tad too large and with the big bezel 40mm too small. 42mm or maybe 43mm would be ideal

Thanks Gents....

Master
    Just a heads up, Guys at Chisholm in Edinburgh have let me know they may have a free Barakuda if any one is interested.
    Yep they offered it to me last week when I enquired.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I do agree that the ratio of bezel to dial is a little off with the barakuda, the bezel should be a little slimmer which would make it appear a little larger. The lugs are also really short though.

Has anyone got one yet?

Yep they offered it to me last week when I enquired.

How much is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    How much is it?
    10650 IIRC. That ball park anyway.

Blog Entries
    Damn you!!!! Now there is another watch to look to add. Barracuda would be the one for me. One of my top row watches would have to go though.

martyn.

Has anyone got one yet?
    Not due until November, unless you buy from Guernsey which was due to arrive this month.

Craftsman
    never looked at Blancpain until a couple of days ago.....Now I am hooked. Just been to their shop in Bond streets....And started dribbling.....

I have put my name down for an Air Command, but doubt I will ever get to the top of the list and I gather these will be arriving at the "end of the year"...No doubt the gentleman was paying lip service to me, but hey, nothing ventured.... Now I am trying to find out more about the brand - is this one of those that flies under the radar generally except for WI? I'm guessing that since the fifty fathoms range was devised for the French Navy then one would hope that the modern iterations are reasonably robust?
    Last edited by Rich; 2nd September 2020 at 10:14.

Craftsman
    Love that FF but just don’t get the Blancpain embossed on the side of the watch

Craftsman
    OK, so a year later, I thought I would revive this thread. Seems that having put my name down with little belief that I would ever be called for a limited edition Air Command, I got the call.

Just went in today to have a look at it in the flesh and frankly, it's everything and more that I was hoping for. Now I have a (potentially expensive) dilemma either way. I either lose my 10% deposit or I stump up for the watch. In the meantime, I thought you might like some poor shop photos that are clearly not taken by Tony:

and next to my speedy T - thought it might help me make my decision...but it stayed silent.

Oh what to do......??
    Last edited by Rich; 23rd June 2020 at 18:17.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How much? It is nice, but not sure exceptional.

Looks lovely, and whilst I’m not sure that the deposit could legally be withheld if you chose not to proceed I guess the fact that you left it suggests that you know what you’re going to do.

I'm a bit jealous.

Master
    That looks really great.

Craftsman
    Looks lovely, and whilst I’m not sure that the deposit could legally be withheld if you chose not to proceed I guess the fact that you left it suggests that you know what you’re going to do.

I'm a bit jealous.
    yes....kinda think that it's a keeper. VC will have to wait for another century....Just need to sleep on it. And to your point of you being jealous....pfffff....you have some of the nicest watches that any mortal could own and have a Blancpain Mil Spec, which in you words you "wouldn't kick out of bed" and nor would I, so that's entirely why I am looking at this one...Just to keep up with those that want to fly. It is a flyback after all.

I'll get my coat.
    Last edited by Rich; 23rd June 2020 at 19:47.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ask for a 20% discount (they are out there) and your dilemna disappears!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Ask for a 20% discount (they are out there) and your dilemna disappears!
    much as that would be great to have, in this case I'm not sure that they would be interested. I did ask though...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    much as that would be great to have, in this case I'm not sure that they would be interested. I did ask though...
    Perhaps not the right person?

I got the call last week (or text) that my watch was on it’s way from Switzerland, but ultimatly decided to pass on Friday.
    (Been trying to get them to allocate it to a fellow TZ’er, but they have a long waiting list....)

I was lucky enough to have played with the prototype last year, and thought it was lovely on the wrist, but tastes change and I felt it’d end up being a safe queen as i’m not feeling the neo-vintage look these days :/

On the discount note....., its around 14k incl VAT if you were in Australia lol :p

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I got the call last week (or text) that my watch was on it’s way from Switzerland, but ultimatly decided to pass on Friday.
    (Been trying to get them to allocate it to a fellow TZ’er, but they have a long waiting list....)

I was lucky enough to have played with the prototype last year, and thought it was lovely on the wrist, but tastes change and I felt it’d end up being a safe queen as i’m not feeling the neo-vintage look these days :/

On the discount note....., its around 14k incl VAT if you were in Australia lol :p
    That makes sense. They seem to be under subscripted, hence my recent 20% discount offer.

Funnily Endo and I discussed the watch earlier today.

I would love to see this in a more modern design - we've seen Blancpain do it for the Barakuda and Only Watch, so I hope they do that, because I've never been a 'neo-vintage' fan.

And OP - I call their threat on the deposit bull, unless you signed a contract stating it's non refundable, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    because I've never been a 'neo-vintage' fan.
    You like Pam’s though :P

Although Pam’s work, in that 911 way the old design cues are there without looking old.

Not sure the AC would work for me with my penchant for ugly as sin strap combos :p
    At least the Milspec looks at home on a neon orange strap, or mustard gator.