closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Honda CB1100 ex

Master

Honda CB1100 ex

Anyone got one ? any experiences good or bad ?

I'm thinking of one for sunny day rides etc etc - it's a big shiny retro metal thing.

I will already have the NC700 for driving locally and into bandit country but I feel a need for a leisure ride.

Thanks

B

Journeyman
    Anything honda great. I have 954 blade cbr600 and sp2.
    Build quality great . Researched these a couple of years back.
    Must be mint with service history.
    Enjoy.

Master
    Bumpity.... anyone else got any experience ?

Cheers paul.

B

Can't help with long term info sorry, but had the use of a friends for a fortnight a few years back.
    From memory: Heavy, especially when comparing it to my own bikes at that time. (Hornet9 and an Aprilia Tuono)
    Powerhouse of a motor, very very grunty, and nothing to be gained by spanking it. Suspension, very soft, but I didn't try adjusting so could possibly be improved. Needed to really muscle it into tight turns at speed, again, could maybe be fixed by resetting suspension? Comfort, armchair like, wide seat, could do big, big miles on it easy. Fantastic bike for steady cruising, big distances too. Anything over 80mph hard work after a while, but it's a naked, so that's a given. Finish great, fuel economy great, the only thing I didn't actually like was the physical size and it's weight.

Master
    Happy with Honda. I'v had a CBR400RR, VTR1000SP1 and now a Fireblade.

Honda doesn't let you down.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Happy with Honda. I'v had a CBR400RR, VTR1000SP1 and now a Fireblade.

Honda doesn't let you down.
    My SP2 does not do the miles to let me down. 10 miles out on it and I have to return home. Most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden.
    Won't part with it though. It is a bit special !

Master
    Thanks guys.

Much appreciated.

B

Craftsman
    Be wary of hankering for the old motorbike You always wanted and never got. Some of My mates have done it and regretted it.Skinny narrow tyres,Crappy big corroded rocker switches, Get something modern take of the rose tinted visor lol
    Ps Sorry mate I thought You meant the old 70s/80s version!!!
    Last edited by lew07; 20th May 2019 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Ps Sorry mate I thought You meant the old 70s/80s version!!!
    To be fair...the CB11 is fairly old tech, and when compared with newer stuff (for the same money) it shows.
    A basic Triumph or Yamaha triple for instance will run rings around it.
    But I know what it is to have that 'itch' when you really fancy a particular bike.
    Try one back to back against something later, and if it still ticks the boxes, go for it.
    You won't go far wrong with any Honda these days.

255kg!!!!

If it is the model I'm thinking of, then I bought one brand new in 2005, the new 'S' model with the fairing and ABS etc. I had done 2 years with a brand new Speed Triple which was an awesome bike but unfortunately, made on a very bad Friday, it broke down within the first 8 miles from new and that set the tone of ownership, sadly. Fantastic bike but so very unreliable ( just to set the record straight: I bought another a few years later and never had a moments trouble with it) I was totally pee'd off and wanted reliable, so I bought the Honda.

It was a great bike but heavy and slow, no 'top end rush' like the Triumph had and bored me to tears. I know that says much more about me than it does about the bike. I did like the ABS as it saved me in grand style on the first day I had it - new tarmac covered in loose gravel! Also, wasn't that impressed with the build quality, the paint seemed thin (especially on the frame) and details were crude in comparison to the Triumph.

Had it less than a year (having bought it as I drooled over the original CB1100 R back in the 80s) and traded it in against a Benelli Tornado Tre.... now that was a lesson in unreliability :)

Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    ........and traded it in against a Benelli Tornado Tre.... now that was a lesson in unreliability :)
    Hahahahahahahaa.......brilliant!
    Had a mate who pushed his Tre down a steep hill/cliff into his farmyard.
    Was a total loss, and flogged the remains on ebay. Cost him nearly £2k.
    He said the satisfaction it gave him after it's unreliability was worth every penny.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    My SP2 does not do the miles to let me down. 10 miles out on it and I have to return home. Most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden.
    Won't part with it though. It is a bit special !
    I did more than 60k km on that bike. It never broke down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    If it is the model I'm thinking of, then I bought one brand new in 2005, the new 'S' model with the fairing and ABS etc. I had done 2 years with a brand new Speed Triple which was an awesome bike but unfortunately, made on a very bad Friday, it broke down within the first 8 miles from new and that set the tone of ownership, sadly. Fantastic bike but so very unreliable ( just to set the record straight: I bought another a few years later and never had a moments trouble with it) I was totally pee'd off and wanted reliable, so I bought the Honda.
    I had a daytona 675. Almost new. It stood at the bikeshop many many times due to electric problems. Terrible bike. I sold it after 5k km.