closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best watch strap for a beach holiday?

Best watch strap for a beach holiday?

I'm keen to learn from your opinions, pros and cons of strap choice for a beach holiday: bracelet, rubber, NATO, leather or other ideas?

I'll soon be heading to Lanzarote, and keen to take my new Submariner no date as my only watch for the duration. While its a small resort with what I assume will be a near-zero chance of mugging, I'd probably prefer to tone down the bling anyway to match the flip-flops. Also I fear sand grinding in the links and clasp.

So, sand, sea and sun cream considered, what do you folks recommend?

I understand a NATO may be the most secure option in the ocean. I'd love the look of a leather strap but would it turn to a soak-stained sponge?

Thanks in advance

I've worn NATO on the beach and it's fine.
    You just need to wash it with fresh water and a bit of mild detergent to rid of the salt and smell or rubber strap which I haven't worn but might get sticky with sweat and seawater?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    NATO is a good choice...

RubberB also good on a sub...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 16th May 2019 at 21:06.

Beautiful photo by the way.

I see NATO straps can be purchased for under a fiver, so perhaps two or three so if one is wet from the day it can be swapped for a clean dry one for the evening (maybe even different colours). Are the buckles prone to fail on such a cheap strap as can be bought on Ebay?

RubberB look good, but not cheap - do you think they're worth the premium over a lesser rubber strap?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Beautiful photo by the way.

I see NATO straps can be purchased for under a fiver, so perhaps two or three so if one is wet from the day it can be swapped for a clean dry one for the evening (maybe even different colours). Are the buckles prone to fail on such a cheap strap as can be bought on Ebay?

RubberB look good, but not cheap - do you think they're worth the premium over a lesser rubber strap?
    I have the cousins equivalent on my GMT, it’s not the same - but good enough.
    Certainly ok for the money - if you want to try before shelling out on a RubberB

Just be aware that the holes are smaller than Rolex springbars so you’ll need a smaller diameter set.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 16th May 2019 at 21:29.

Steel bracelet. Just remember to change hands daily to avoid pale wrist.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I had Borealis rubber strap last summer and really loved it.

Brady Waterproof Leather

I’m off to Spain next week and taking my 2254 will be taking it on a rubber and also taking a selection of NATO’s.
    my advice as the watch is new to you buy the cousins rubber strap and 4-5 NATOs in versions colours to suit. Try them out and see. Cheap way to find what you like. If you like the rubber option then rubber b or Everest is the more expensive and imo better quality long term options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perlon is the best for warm weather. Breathable, light, dries quickly, cheap, many colours and the security of a NATO.

Blog Entries
    Try a multi-coloured rubber strap! Makes it more fun. This is not a Sub but you get the idea?

Martyn.

Hirsch Performance JAMES

Best watch strap for a beach holiday?

Bracelet or rubber.

I find NATOs mark the caseback up very very quickly - and if you stick a bit of masking tape underneath it’ll go all grotty after a bit.

It has the adjustable clasp, yes? Perfect for tweaking with the change from heat of the day and cooler evenings perhaps, as your wrist swells and reduces probably more noticeable than at home.
    Bracelet for me in almost every situation.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 16th May 2019 at 22:21.

Master
    Rubber for me. Robust, doesn’t stick to you like a bracelet when you sweat and doesn’t need constant washing like a nato due to sun cream and shite etc

I wore an Everest as my only watch on holiday last month.

Im pleased I put it back on the o/e bracelet before I left as the divers extension was very useful when my wrist swelled slightly due to the heat.

Lounged about on the beach and went swimming in the sea everyday. A quick wash in the sink and it was smart enough to wear out in the evening.

dice role

Three Natos is the answer. One on the watch, one washed and ready to go, one washed and drying. If you're worried about the strap marking the case back buy some heli tape from Paragon Tapes and make your own protectors, virtually invisible and very long lasting. The tape I put on my road bike frame several years ago is still in place.

http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/home
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Three Natos is the answer. One on the watch, one washed and ready to go, one washed and drying. If you're worried about the strap marking the case back buy some heli tape from Paragon Tapes and make your own protectors, virtually invisible and very long lasting. The tape I put on my road bike frame several years ago is still in place.

Thanks for the link Bob, Ive just ordered some for my CWC.

..........new Submariner ...... tone down.........
    Hello Halitosis,

I will be brutally honest and this of course only engages me: The combination above does not make any sense..
    Use a Seiko or a G-shock for the beach or just leave your watch at home altogether: IT IS YOUR HOLIDAY.
    On the other hand if you like your watch and you want to show it , be proud and wear it like it was meant to be: on the bracelet!

I'll get my coat....

Previously NATO’s for me and I took a few with me this time, but I only took it off the bracelet once, I found it to be really good. Washed it in the sink or wore it in the shower and it was good for the whole holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Something I've not known about. Thank you - I'll be trying it.

The answer OP is NATO or Perlon.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions - I'm going the 3 NATOs route (partly for the fun colour options)

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    I will be brutally honest and this of course only engages me: The combination above does not make any sense..
    Use a Seiko or a G-shock for the beach or just leave your watch at home altogether: IT IS YOUR HOLIDAY.
    On the other hand if you like your watch and you want to show it , be proud and wear it like it was meant to be: on the bracelet!
    Thanks for your honestly pacchi, but I wish to wear my new watch for my own benefit and enjoyment - not for others or to "show it"

Thanks for your honestly pacchi, but I wish to wear my new watch for my own benefit and enjoyment - not for others or to "show it"
    I will not open this Pandora's box.....

Master
    OMG! tan lines, so none.

No watch for me on holidays, it's the only blissful time (lol) I get to not worry about the time.

Luckily I get away 5-6 times a year, yay me!

Rubber without a doubt - but then I have a well-documented hatred for NATOs...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rubber nato for the win

Master
    I find canvas good in the warmer weather. Rubber is of course non absorbent so might be a better option. But canvas looks best IMHO. E.g. corrigia canvas.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    You’ve probably already got the answers but either 3 x Nato’s Which I’ve done very recently or get an Isofrane

Before you go on holiday put your watch on a nato, soak it, rub sun cream on it, cover it in sand, then wear it for a day. You might just decide rubber or steel is more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Before you go on holiday put your watch on a nato, soak it, rub sun cream on it, cover it in sand, then wear it for a day. You might just decide rubber or steel is more comfortable.
    I find that coming out of the water wearing nylon or perlon the strap doesn't feel nice at all. Its easy enough to have a few spares so swapping for a dry one would take seconds.

I have to admit that I haven't tried rubber in holiday conditions but expect that it would be just as good as a bracelet. I have owned a few Bonetto Cintunrini straps and was pleasantly surprised at how they weren't 'clingy'. They were however way too long for my slim wrist and attempts to shorten them ended up with something I couldn't live with. As I have said though, I never tried them on holiday.

For me, bracelet is best.

Whenever I swim with a Perlon it’s dry by the time I’ve towelled down! NATOs stay damp for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Whenever I swim with a Perlon it’s dry by the time I’ve towelled down! NATOs stay damp for ages.
    I agree - they dry much quicker. Being single layer helps I guess.

I don't like the feel when you first get out of the water and its all soggy - even if its for just a short time!

Getting in the bath with a selection of straps is probably a reasonably good way of finding out individual tolerance to such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I agree - they dry much quicker. Being single layer helps I guess.

I don't like the feel when you first get out of the water and its all soggy - even if its for just a short time!

Getting in the bath with a selection of straps is probably a reasonably good way of finding out individual tolerance to such things.
    And an opportunity to bond.

Craftsman
    Rubber all the way

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I find that coming out of the water wearing nylon or perlon the strap doesn't feel nice at all. Its easy enough to have a few spares so swapping for a dry one would take seconds.

I have to admit that I haven't tried rubber in holiday conditions but expect that it would be just as good as a bracelet. I have owned a few Bonetto Cintunrini straps and was pleasantly surprised at how they weren't 'clingy'. They were however way too long for my slim wrist and attempts to shorten them ended up with something I couldn't live with. As I have said though, I never tried them on holiday.

For me, bracelet is best.
    The issue with rubber (and steel bracelets) is heat. As soon as it gets hot they are unbearable. No breathability.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The issue with rubber (and steel bracelets) is heat. As soon as it gets hot they are unbearable. No breathability.
    Isofranes have nice big holes all round for ventilation.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Agreed.

A bracelet clasp that allows instant adjustment helps a lot though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    NATO for the beach and a clip on Rios for the bar.

A Zuludiver 300 from watchgeko https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...atch-strap.php

Comfortable, micro adjustment on the clasp for when you get hot, clasp so easy to take on and off, wash it, understated. I’m slowly putting all my watches on them because i find them so versatile.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    A Zuludiver 300 from watchgeko https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...atch-strap.php

Comfortable, micro adjustment on the clasp for when you get hot
    Do you need a spring bar tool for the micro adjustment?

For me it would be a Perlon. Instant adjustment as often as you want as you make your own hole at whatever length you want the strap to go at. You can get a two piece Perlon if you are worried about marking the case back.

Master
    Keep it on the bracelet as it's meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Hello Halitosis,

I'll get my coat....
    I’m all for this, I’m off to Thailand for Christmas and have decided I’ll be taking my Seiko Digital Tuna. Discreet, tough as old boots, on a silicone rubber, perfect for diving in. Maybe oddly I’ll ski in my best watches (Rolex Explorer & Omega SMP) but for the beach it’s always a cheap tool watch for me.

Just returned from a week in Bagtao Beach (Phuket) and the SRP779 (on Jubilee) didn’t leave my wrist for the whole week. Didn’t even know I had it on for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    Do you need a spring bar tool for the micro adjustment?
    Yep, you do, there's nothing fancy going on in the clasp. I guess if the phrase micro adjustment is associated with the sprung type of expansion in the clasp then better to say there is adjustment at the clasp as you often find on most standard bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Try a multi-coloured rubber strap! Makes it more fun. This is not a Sub but you get the idea?

Martyn.
    Martyn, remind me please... what strap is this?

Simon

Journeyman
    I’d wear a titanium watch on rubber,my JLC NSA on rubber is my default beach watch

Titanium won’t scald you when it’s really hot,can’t say that about SS watch....and definitely no bracelet,I took my 16570 on bracelet for beach holiday and the sand actually got into the gaps and slowly abraded the bracelet

Journeyman
    isofrane or nato :)

I'm leaving my Sub and SD at home and taking an Apple watch.

Craftsman
    Rubber Zulu Diver Nato, ticks all boxes