closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One-off consolidation

Banned
    Blog Entries

One-off consolidation

My watch collecting era has come to an end, and I am very happy with this consequence. I have decided that happiness comes from one watch, which I wear regularly and habitually, without care to condition, value deterioration or pampering, and one to last me to the (my) end. My other interests - hifi (wow, how expensive?), dog walking (very much the first love), motorbikes (Tony, sound familiar?!), travel, general tossing around (as very early retirement permits) and swimming pool maintenance, mean I am therefore thinking of ridding myself of a blue dial SS SkyDweller, 1992 16700 full set and a recent 214270. My whittled down choices are both white gold Rolexes - blue dials each - GMT or Daytona. The former may not be an option due to availability (see my other thread). Views appreciated.
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th May 2019 at 19:38.

Craftsman
    How about going all out and getting the platinum Daytona?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Personally, the brownish bezel does not appeal, nor the met pale blue dial. And don’t they weigh a tonne? Nice idea though. I had thought of it. :)
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th May 2019 at 19:53. Reason: speeling!

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I have to agree here.
    I absolutely love the platinum Daytona.
    It wears pretty heavy on the wrist but it would be my 1 watch

Master
    GMT for me, the best version of the best new Rolex IMO Great problem to have and enjoy deciding.

Smile

A white gold watch with a blue face you say? The Submariner "Smurf" would win hands down for me, but of the two you mention I prefer the practicalities of the GMT - also easier to read as you and your watch reach "a certain age"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Personally, the brownish bezel does not appeal, nor the met pale blue dial. And don’t they weigh a tonne? Nice idea though. I had thought of it. :)
    I think the bezel works well with it being a dark brown but the dial is something special.

Weight would probably be the only issue with me, though I prefer lighter watches I’m sure I could get used to the heft of one of these!

Master
    Might I suggest this. A truly fabulous watch. I sold mine. That was stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m glad to have helped on your path to enlightenment Simon.

Good luck to you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

That is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Day Date, or even just a Date Just would be about perfect.

I honestly think I’d pick my blue dial DJII (other sizes are available) as my best current all rounder/non-dive watch. But... I love the feel and wearing the Sky-Dweller, and it does everything I need in a watch - it’s just that I wouldn’t wear a WG Fluted bezel for every situation.

I miss the good ole days of people mostly having something like a Submariner or Seamaster (my choice was an Explorer II) or any other watch/brand, and just enjoying it and wearing it as a watch for any activity without a second thought of value, damage, resale etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I was of the same opinion but was lucky enough to try one on a few weeks back, yes it is very heavy but it feels oh so special, and I have to say it was the most legible Daytona I have ever tried.

Of the WG GMT and Daytona, the GMT but as I said in the other thread black dial for me. If it was WG GMT, WG Daytona or platinum Daytona it would be the latter.

... 1992 16700 ...
    Weirdly, clicking on that opens up my FaceTime app!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Out of the two, it would be the GMT for me. The PM Daytona needs the ceramic bezel in my opinion and that means a rubber or leather strap. The metal bezel will soon look old if it is a daily wearer (worn without care of condition). If it were to be my only watch, I would want a bracelet, and that ceramic bezel on the GMT will look nicer for longer

Craftsman
    I happily wore a GMT as my only watch for 7 years: seems a great choice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Weirdly, clicking on that opens up my FaceTime app!

R
    Because of for whatever reason this number is formatted as a phone number.

URL="tel:1992 16700"]1992 16700[/URL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    AD is investigating availability of the Platina.😉. Anyone want the SkyD, 16700 and/or Explorer? Joking!

Craftsman
    AD is investigating availability of the Platina.. Anyone want the SkyD, 16700 and/or Explorer? Joking!
    Great choice. I should become a sales mans!

For Gods sake don’t buy a new Platona.
    They drop a huge amount.

I’d be tempted to just strap on your blue Sky-D. That’s a cracking ‘do everything’ watch. ( unless it must be precious metal )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Smurf. Get a smurf.

Master
    I am thinking of consolidating too - from two down to one. It’s a no contest between the DJ and the GO. The latter looks better and keeps perfect time which is all I want in a watch.

Master
    I do not like Daytona’s but I tried on the Platona and straight away for what the fuss was about. Weight is not that bad tbh but I would buy pre owned.
    After that choice would be GMT. Does everything you want, looks great. I could definitely see it being an only watch.

Nice dilemma, but frankly they're both superb watches and I'd find it very hard to make a decision. Probably needs both tried on so you can consider how you feel actually wearing them.

Yes, know what you mean about bikes - tbh, watches have very much taken a back seat these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

This one for me. It’s less flashy than the GMT and the dial is amazing, a thing of beauty.

I had a steel Daytona a few years ago and found it wasn’t the easiest watch on which to tell the time. But I think the hands are less likely to ‘disappear’ within the subdials on this one.

I’m intrigued by the idea of narrowing to one watch (not counting G-Shocks, right? ). If I liquidated the entire collection, perhaps I could get the WG Daytona. But I’m not sure I’d be comfortable wearing something so pricey.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to seeing, here, the outcome of your decision.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Nice dilemma, but frankly they're both superb watches and I'd find it very hard to make a decision. Probably needs both tried on so you can consider how you feel actually wearing them.

Yes, know what you mean about bikes - tbh, watches have very much taken a back seat these days.
    Blokes and their toys. Hifi is my current preoccupation followed by bikes/watches equally. However, keeping perspective, my dogs have been, and remain, in first place!

Master

One-off consolidation

Have you thought about getting the WG Skydweller with Blue face.?

It’s not an option new now, but they did produce them I believe.

If not the GMT.
    Last edited by Chalet; 19th May 2019 at 19:20.

If going to one watch only I would go SS or Platinum depending on how hard you wear your watches. The gold might prove too soft. My choice would be the current dial dial Daytona or the Platinum Day Date.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 13th June 2019 at 21:49.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Blokes and their toys. Hifi is my current preoccupation followed by bikes/watches equally. However, keeping perspective, my dogs have been, and remain, in first place!
    Have you ever considered consulting a dog whisperer. They could facilitate a decision that was agreeable to both you and your dogs...

On a serious note. I would go with a WG Pepsi GMT on an oyster bracelet.

I’m actually quite envious on your one watch decision.. Good luck

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Max has often said how much he adores the blue dial WG Daytona. I thought he was just being nice......