closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendations please.. watch with a large second hand

Recommendations please.. watch with a large second hand

As my eyesight isn't what it used to be I'm looking for a gym watch/timer with a highly visible/large second hand.
    It seems that most watches have a skinny second hand probably to reduce the energy required to constantly rotate it but it makes timing sets in the gym difficult when I'm struggling to see it. I'd rather not wear my glasses when training hence the search for something appropriate.
    I'd even consider a smart type watch but I really wanted a permanent display not one that fades out after a few seconds..
    Doesn't need to be new, ideally quartz, kinetic or solar with a rubber strap but a suitable option with a steel/leather bracelet that I could change would be OK.
    Budget is up to £500.
    Something like the ones below would be good but they're a bit too expensive for me (and they're autos) any suggestions along similar lines would be very welcome.

Given a smart watch is possible - what about a digital watch?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Given a smart watch is possible - what about a digital watch?
    I did think about that but tricky to see the numbers...

Recommendations please.. watch with a large second hand

You could have almost anything from Seiko modded and fit a bespoke bright, large seconds hand. There’s a mountain of choices of both watches and hand mods, and it’s not expensive. There are a few on here who do it professionally and hobbyist who are more than capable.
    Maybe even find a lightweight (Ti or something) bright Plongeur-style minute hand and use it as a seconds hand? Or go really vibrant colour over a black dial?

https://www.dlwwatches.com/collectio...cts/hands-bold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 16th May 2019 at 16:16.

Regatta or Yacht timers have prominent seconds hands. Alpina make a new one and there are lots of vintage to look up.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Do you need to be accurate to the second in the gym?

I know I’m not.

I'm timing around 2mins between sets so plus or minus a few seconds is OK but ideally no more than that so I'd like to fairly accurate.

Perfect size second hand but over the budget, even vintage seem to be quite a lot more than I'd like to spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Regatta or Yacht timers have prominent seconds hands. Alpina make a new one and there are lots of vintage to look up.

Despite the vibrant colour still a bit thin..
    QUOTE=notenoughwrists;5100797]You could have almost anything from Seiko modded and fit a bespoke bright, large seconds hand. There’s a mountain of choices of both watches and hand mods, and it’s not expensive. There are a few on here who do it professionally and hobbyist who are more than capable.
    Maybe even find a lightweight (Ti or something) bright Plongeur-style minute hand and use it as a seconds hand? Or go really vibrant colour over a black dial?

https://www.dlwwatches.com/collectio...cts/hands-bold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    Perfect size second hand but over the budget, even vintage seem to be quite a lot more than I'd like to spend.
    I confess I didn’t check out the price!
    I wasn’t aware the brand sat in that price range, sorry.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    A Garmin Fenix 5 would be well within budget. Even if you don't need a GPS on your wrist it's fantastic as a gym watch. HR monitoring built in, stacks of data on your performance if you want it and best of all you can download different faces. It's easy to pick a new face and put it on the watch, takes about 2 minutes on the Garmin smartphone app. I only bought mine a couple of days ago and don't have any photos but for many faces it's easy to select colours to get the legibility you want.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Simples

^ Good call, isn't there a version that has a flyback seconds hand too?

Edit... No, I was thinking of the stop2go feature.
    Last edited by JasonM; 17th May 2019 at 07:51.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    On the semi disposable side of the scale, Cressi Manta would fit the bill for a cheaper gym watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a thread here with a few nice legible second hand watches on it.. I like the Sinn / Seiko mod one, or maybe a Yobokies handset?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/lo...d-3122858.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Simples
    Mondaine stop2go is exceptional... youtube it.