closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three month old Longines about to be sent back for second time - Advice required

Craftsman

Three month old Longines about to be sent back for second time - Advice required

Hi all,

Happy new year.

Looking for a bit of advice if possible. I purchased a Longines in Sep 18, I noticed it was wasn't keep time correctly. It was sent back to Longines after 6 weeks and received a "partial service". However since then it's losing 35-45 seconds per day. I has a ETA 2895 movement.

I am being too fussy or is this too much time to loose in such a short time after service?
    Thank you in advance.

Is it fully wound? Are you wearing it all day? If yes to both then there is definitely something wrong.

I would be giving them one more chance to fix then reject it if it's still keeping such bad time. It should be more like +/- 10 secs at most.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is it fully wound? Are you wearing it all day? If yes to both then there is definitely something wrong.

I would be giving them one more chance to fix then reject it if it's still keeping such bad time. It should be more like +/- 10 secs at most.

Hello,

I would answer yes to both questions, it is worn daily and is fully wound. Thats what i would have thought +10 seconds a day would be about right.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Hello,

I would answer yes to both questions, it is worn daily and is fully wound. Thats what i would have thought +10 seconds a day would be about right.
    Thank you
    Sounds like it needs to go back then.

What model is it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sounds like it needs to go back then.

What model is it?
    Yes I will go to the AD tomorrow and get them to send it back. It's the 1935 Heritage model.

My vintage Longines dont lose that much time! something wrong

Modern Longines watches are actually usually very accurate, well the two I have owned have been anyway. A friend of mine had an issue with a Longines watch though and the dealer gave them a bit of a run around before finally taking it back and exchanging it. I would do the same, sounds like something is not right so take it back and demand it be sent back for replacement or refund.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Modern Longines watches are actually usually very accurate, well the two I have owned have been anyway. A friend of mine had an issue with a Longines watch though and the dealer gave them a bit of a run around before finally taking it back and exchanging it. I would do the same, sounds like something is not right so take it back and demand it be sent back for replacement or refund.
    Yeah we have another Longines in the house and its been great for the last ten years and its been great, Ill give it one more go then look for a replacement.
    Last edited by Speedie; 1st January 2019 at 20:32.

Does the watch consistently gain or lose time or is it random.
    Random time errors are likely to be a manufacturing defect (eg missing tooth of a gear etc).
    Consistent gain or loss of time is most likely a regulation issue (ie needs adjustment with a Timegrapher)

Grand Master
    I suspect there’s a fault with this watch, I doubt it’s a simple case of poor regulation! As for missing teeth on wheels.....v. unlikely!

i would return the watch with a letter of complaint, outlining exactly what the watch is doing and the recent attempt to fix it. Do NOT rely on passing the info verbally, that’s like chinese whispers. Write the letter in duplicate, give a copy to the AD to read in your presence, and include a sealed copy to accompany the watch. This approach won’t endear you to the AD, but they’ve had one chance to get it right and failed miserably. You’re not there to be best buddies with the AD, you’re aim is to get the watch fixed.

These movements are tried, tested and well-understood........shouldn’t be a problem to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I suspect there’s a fault with this watch, I doubt it’s a simple case of poor regulation! As for missing teeth on wheels.....v. unlikely!
    Unlikely perhaps, but this happened to me on a new 2824. It had a chipped tooth on the intermediate wheel. The watch was fine for a couple of months then began randomly stopping. New wheel fitted and problem solved.

Interested to read this, my Longines VHP which I am otherwise very happy with has just gone back for the second time.

Different watch/movement/problem of course. But their "response" when it went back the first time was the same - a "small" service.

Craftsman
    I will keep you up to date when they return it to me.

On the first service docket all it said was "partial service". I asked the AD to clarify this but they were not able to. So I have no clue as to what was repaired / replaced.

For the people asking, it was gaining and losing a couple of minutes the first time, and no it wasn't near magnetic items etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only just spotted this and you may have already gone to the dealer however, if its under warranty and you've got the warranty card, you can deal with Longines directly.

There's a contact form on their website, you fill in your details and within about a week to 10 days, they'll send you a service pouch and prepaid envelope. They insure your watch and all you do is take it to the post office for a receipt. There's nothing for you to pay.

You fill in a form with your instructions, whether it's a warranty claim etc.

I wouldn't bother with the dealer or trying to hand them a letter, I've tried that twice with two different dealers and the letter never gets to the service centre, so you just keep sending the watch back.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I would suggest contacting their Customer Care Team by email Southampton.customercare@uk.swatchgroup.com, I was local to them but I think if you send them an email with a contact number, they will ring you back to support you. The advisor I dealt with then followed the case up personally and mine was chargeable. I think in the circumstances they will do the same and treat it with some priority, I would like to think so in the circumstances anyhow as not ideal. Hope you get this resolved.

Master
    No - losing 35-45 secs a day is completely unacceptable, unless you are drummer or a rugby player or something! Should only be a few secs a day for a mechanical

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman100 View Post
    I would suggest contacting their Customer Care Team by email Southampton.customercare@uk.swatchgroup.com, I was local to them but I think if you send them an email with a contact number, they will ring you back to support you. The advisor I dealt with then followed the case up personally and mine was chargeable. I think in the circumstances they will do the same and treat it with some priority, I would like to think so in the circumstances anyhow as not ideal. Hope you get this resolved.

Thank you. I didn't make it into the AD yet because of work but I'll contact Swatch in Southampton and deal with them directly. Thanks for all of the tips men. I'll revert in due course.

Craftsman
    Just to give an update for interested parties. It was returned to Longines and they contacted me today to advise me they going to give it a full service.

Master
    I'd expect no less.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Personally I’d just return it for a replacement or a refund. Shouldn’t have to go back twice in that short a period of ownership imho

Craftsman
    I bought my wife a Longines Master ladies diamond dot for Christmas. It’s losing between 11 and 16 seconds a day. They tell me that 10 seconds plus or minus is the limit. Doesn’t bother her but it bothers me - I wouldn’t mind if it was running fast, you can just stop it and let it catch up but it’s more aggro when it’s slow. I’ll see how it goes and perhaps sent it back directly to Longines as someone earlier has said you can do.

Craftsman
    The Longines has been returned and after receiving a full service. So far...... it appears to be keeping time. I will however wear it everyday for the next two weeks to verify all is well.

If not, unfortunately I will have to return it, pity because it’s such a beautiful watch! I will wait and see. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Speedie; 9th April 2019 at 10:13.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Fingers crossed Speedie that they have now sorted the issues out.

Master
    Bearing in mind all the fuss and time without the watch I'd be asking for the next service to be free too.

Banned
    Hope it all goes well for you too - it depends on where you are but you might not be *legally* entitled to a refund - just a replacement watch. I'm saying this just so people know it's nice to ask for something that they may not be legally entitled to but a good business may decide to give anyway :)

Not suggesting OP will be blowing the house down but just wanted to share my experience (from having been on the other side of the aisle as a salesperson - when discretion is to be applied it always helps if the customer is nice :) ).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagullfan View Post
    Hope it all goes well for you too - it depends on where you are but you might not be *legally* entitled to a refund - just a replacement watch. I'm saying this just so people know it's nice to ask for something that they may not be legally entitled to but a good business may decide to give anyway :)

Not suggesting OP will be blowing the house down but just wanted to share my experience (from having been on the other side of the aisle as a salesperson - when discretion is to be applied it always helps if the customer is nice :) ).
    Why? Within 6months OP is quite with his rights to a refund (or replacement) for faulty goods.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Why? Within 6months OP is quite with his rights to a refund (or replacement) for faulty goods.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product
    Which is why I wrote - "depending on where you are" - you may have seen that the OP gave Dublin, Belfast as his location.

The Consumer Rights Act is UK legislation only, which would not apply if the OP bought the watch in Ireland. Btw - good for you guys that consumer protection has increased from the Sale of Goods Act :)

Under the consumer legislation protection in Ireland which is still the old Sale of Goods Act (different to the UK version of course) a retailer only has to repair, replace or refund (in that order). Hence why I said "depending on where you are" the OP may not "legally" be entitled to a refund.

There's EU consumer protection legislation as well but I'm not opening that can of worms on a watch forum :D

Craftsman
    Bang on time so far

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Bang on time so far

Speedy,

Can I ask how your Longines is performing, I have recently purchased an Evidenza model in pink gold with the exact same movement (L615) and its running a consistent -15 seconds a day over the past two weeks since I got it.