closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Iíve always avoided Roman numerals, but.

  1. #1
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,065

    Iíve always avoided Roman numerals, but.

    I have a nice Datejust, the 16220 with standard Ďchampagneí dial, machine turned bezel and jubilee bracelet. Iím now not wearing it (with the rare exception of black tie dinners) as Iím finding the whole look a little fussy, almost glitzy. (Iím sorry, I know itís a classic, and Iím an unappreciative luddite).

    I started to look at what alternatives existed that were more plain, i.e. plain bezel, oyster bracelet, and with some alarm Iím drawn to something that I would have never before considered - it has applied Roman numerals.

    It is a version of the 16200, pictured below.

    Conscious that my old university has now shifted from a position of ďplease make a donationĒ to ďplease remember us in your willĒ, could my apparent shift into a new demographic classification also explain why a DJ with large Roman numerals is suddenly appealing?

    Itís rare that I turn to the forum with a Ďhelp me decideí post (I think, I couldnít be bothered to check), but am I demonstrating signs of ensuing bad-taste-syndrome??


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I have a nice Datejust, the 16220 with standard Ďchampagneí dial, machine turned bezel and jubilee bracelet. Iím now not wearing it (with the rare exception of black tie dinners) as Iím finding the whole look a little fussy, almost glitzy. (Iím sorry, I know itís a classic, and Iím an unappreciative luddite).

    I started to look at what alternatives existed that were more plain, i.e. plain bezel, oyster bracelet, and with some alarm Iím drawn to something that I would have never before considered - it has applied Roman numerals.

    It is a version of the 16200, pictured below.

    Conscious that my old university has now shifted from a position of ďplease make a donationĒ to ďplease remember us in your willĒ, could my apparent shift into a new demographic classification also explain why a DJ with large Roman numerals is suddenly appealing?

    Itís rare that I turn to the forum with a Ďhelp me decideí post (I think, I couldnít be bothered to check), but am I demonstrating signs of ensuing bad-taste-syndrome??

    Roman numeral DJs aren't really my thing but, more importantly imo, legibility on these dark blue Rolex dials is pretty poor.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,743
    I never considered romans.... until I saw them in the flesh. Having seen it, white dial with romans is now my favorite DJ (in 36 obviously).

  4. #4
    Master pacchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ZŁrich
    Posts
    1,880

    I am with you....

    ….never liked Roman numerals on a dial. Whatever brand. Do not like the cyclops neither, but that was not your question.
    so your instinct must prevail!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEpoRxisWuQ

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,386
    From the tone of your thread you appear to want a dress watch for a formal black tie evening.

    The reality of life is that you could wear the 16200 and no one would notice. However if the evening is really formal in the old school sense and you want to act the part, then that particular watch is a no no.

    I attend about 3 or 4 very formal events a year and most of the men are old school and dress really formal, even possibly harking back to the days of their Grandfathers.

    The "rules" are

    A pocket watch either on a chain or in your pocket is the preferred option as wearing a wrist watch is a bit infra dig.

    If you must wear a wrist watch, it should be smallish, say 34mm dia, gold with a black shiny strap. It should be hours and minutes hands only with the minimum of markings on the dial.

    I have an old JLC that matches the above but about 75% of the men wear a watch and chain. Just to emphasis how formal it is, Gentlemen are expected never to unbutton their jackets.

  6. #6
    First time I saw a Buckley dial Rolex oyster quartz , it changed my mind on roman numerals

  7. #7
    He is NOT looking for a dress watch. No need to reiterate 18-1900s concept of a 'dress watch'.
    World has moved on even if some are still stuck in 1800s.
    OP, not many are fond of Roman numerals but I don't mind them in the watch you mentioned.
    It is not a sign of bad taste at all. You just need to be reasonably sure that you are not soon going to be bored of the look.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    He is NOT looking for a dress watch. No need to reiterate 18-1900s concept of a 'dress watch'.
    World has moved on even if some are still stuck in 1800s.
    OP, not many are fond of Roman numerals but I don't mind them in the watch you mentioned.
    It is not a sign of bad taste at all. You just need to be reasonably sure that you are not soon going to be bored of the look.
    He said "Iím now not wearing it (with the rare exception of black tie dinners) "

    That implies he is looking for something formal, at least that is how I understood it.

  9. #9
    The watch that you've shown is a fine looking piece and it's true that our taste changes as we grow older.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    Me personally, I prefer the Roman numerals on the watches that are not round ( oval, rectangular and square) but yet to own one.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,065
    Thanks Mick, Raj. My mention of infrequent formal dinners was more to illustrate that my current 16220 DJ is rarely worn / under utilised than to request advice on a watch for formal occasions. I didnít mean to divert anyone off on a tangent.

    But whilst we are on said tangent, I feel I am adequately equipped with this Omega for those occasions. Not quite compliant with your spec. Mick, but close enough. And I am far from the most sartorially criminal when I wear it.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    From the tone of your thread you appear to want a dress watch for a formal black tie evening.

    The reality of life is that you could wear the 16200 and no one would notice. However if the evening is really formal in the old school sense and you want to act the part, then that particular watch is a no no.

    I attend about 3 or 4 very formal events a year and most of the men are old school and dress really formal, even possibly harking back to the days of their Grandfathers.

    The "rules" are

    A pocket watch either on a chain or in your pocket is the preferred option as wearing a wrist watch is a bit infra dig.

    If you must wear a wrist watch, it should be smallish, say 34mm dia, gold with a black shiny strap. It should be hours and minutes hands only with the minimum of markings on the dial.

    I have an old JLC that matches the above but about 75% of the men wear a watch and chain. Just to emphasis how formal it is, Gentlemen are expected never to unbutton their jackets.
    I'm not sure I've been to a Black Tie fancy dress party since my university days when we'd all pretend for an hour or two it was actually important which way round the port was passed etc. All great fun as long as it's not taken seriously but if someone genuinely thinks it's infra dig to wear a wrist watch then they need a good slap.

  12. #12
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Budapest via Surrey, UK
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I never considered romans.... until I saw them in the flesh. Having seen it, white dial with romans is now my favorite DJ (in 36 obviously).
    Like this?

    My daily wearer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,404
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Like this?

    My daily wearer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i have to say I MUCH prefer the cream dial than blue - especially for legibility. Which becomes more important when you get past the halfway mark in life.

    Martyn.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Like this?

    My daily wearer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly that

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    714
    Or this? Different "font" to the numerals...


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The "rules" are

    A pocket watch either on a chain or in your pocket is the preferred option as wearing a wrist watch is a bit infra dig.

    If you must wear a wrist watch, it should be smallish, say 34mm dia, gold with a black shiny strap. It should be hours and minutes hands only with the minimum of markings on the dial.

    I have an old JLC that matches the above but about 75% of the men wear a watch and chain. Just to emphasis how formal it is, Gentlemen are expected never to unbutton their jackets.
    Sounds like a night out with the ERG.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Or this? Different "font" to the numerals...

    Prefer this one, far neater IMO.

    Date font horrible though, why so wide?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Or this? Different "font" to the numerals...

    Not my usual, but I think that is rather nice


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Date font horrible though, why so wide?
    I think that's just a distortion due to the cyclops/picture taken at an angle, when viewed straight on the font isn't that wide.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,000
    No, your choice of dial is very appealing there. I've found myself rather taken by the Wimbledon dial. I'm usually a fan of plain indices but sometimes a change seems welcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •