closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Case holder big enough for a Breitling Avenger?

Case holder big enough for a Breitling Avenger?

My Avenger has been off to Breitling for a battery change and they responded saying it needed a service at £500.

No indication of whether there was a fault with the movement or if it was simply that at 7-8 years old it was "due one".

Considering that I have quartz watches that have run happily for 30 years or so without a "service", I'm not overly convinced that £500 every few years with perhaps £150 battery changes in between represents good value. My preference is to run it until it fails and then replace the movement or even the watch; far better whole life cost!

With this in mind, I'm trying to install a battery myself, however the back has been put on by the Breitling gorilla and torqued down to "lots". I've got a back removal tool, but need to hold the watch still while I get to work. I've borrowed a "jumbo" case holder and while that's jumbo diameter wise, it's not jumbo depth wise.

Taking the lug shape into consideration, the case is 20mm deep, so to ensure that the watch doesn't slip, I guess I need one that is at least 25mm deep on the pins.

Any recommendations?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I had one of my engineers make this up for me in aluminium. Takes the biggest Breitlings and Panerai. Most of the available ones aren't big enough or strong enough.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fancy doing a battery change for me?

Or even just loosening the back so I can do it myself?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Fancy doing a battery change for me?

Or even just loosening the back so I can do it myself?
    Sure. No problem. I do loads of Breitlings.

Well, after a few words of encouragement from Brendan, I went to the garage and got the car oil filter tool...

Back came off with some "persuasion".

All quite pretty in there ready to uncover the movement

There's the old battery

There's the new one in place

Covered up again, ready to lube the seal

Back back on

All done, and for about a grand less than Breitling felt was appropriate.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Banned
    Genius using the oil filter belt !
    Shame I've already got an apprentice !

Not seen a back remover like that - mine all have a slot in the back for a Burgeon press, or you can put a screwdriver in it too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Genius using the oil filter belt !
    Shame I've already got an apprentice !

As I said in my DM, all it took was a subtle combination of mild psychology and extreme violence...

Banned
    As I said in my DM, all it took was a subtle combination of mild psychology and extreme violence...

Naaaah ! Patient contemplation and rational application thereof

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Not seen a back remover like that - mine all have a slot in the back for a Burgeon press, or you can put a screwdriver in it too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    That would have been easier.

Great stuff. Very resourceful

The biggest frustration for me wasn't the holder and the effort to get the back off, it was the statement from the jeweller that Breitling had told them that there was a problem with the watch and a simple battery change would not be sufficient to get the watch going again; the watch needed a service.

I assumed from that that if there was a fault with the movement, the movement would need to be replaced, hence the £500.

When I went to collect the watch (paying the £40 or £45 fee for the inspection) I queried the movement replacement and was advised by the chap that dealt with me that a movement replacement would be far more than £500, so that charge would have only been to strip and clean the cogs, polish the case and bracelet and replace the battery and the seals... At least I came away with a Breitling travel case.

I suspect Breitling won't offer a 12 month warranty on the watch if it isn't serviced on alternate battery changes, but that's rather different from there being a problem that required a service. I'd have liked to have known that before handing it over.

Of course, if there is a fault logged that indicated that actual attention was necessary, then I'd expect that to be in a report that I get for my inspection fee, but there was nothing other than the bill.

To add insult to injury, the suggestion that I shell out a further £500 as the bracelet was approaching end of life was laughable. This hadn't been mentioned last time they had it and the watch has been hardly worn since the last time; when I have worn it it has been on Pro II rubber so the bracelet has likely been worn for less than 10 days in that period.

I was keen to pop a battery in myself just to confirm that the battery change wouldn't be se sufficient as advised, but as the watch is working perfectly on my wrist, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by both Breitling and my local jeweller

Banned
    The biggest frustration for me wasn't the holder and the effort to get the back off, it was the statement from the jeweller that Breitling had told them that there was a problem with the watch and a simple battery change would not be sufficient to get the watch going again; the watch needed a service.

I assumed from that that if there was a fault with the movement, the movement would need to be replaced, hence the £500.

When I went to collect the watch (paying the £40 or £45 fee for the inspection) I queried the movement replacement and was advised by the chap that dealt with me that a movement replacement would be far more than £500, so that charge would have only been to strip and clean the cogs, polish the case and bracelet and replace the battery and the seals... At least I came away with a Breitling travel case.

I suspect Breitling won't offer a 12 month warranty on the watch if it isn't serviced on alternate battery changes, but that's rather different from there being a problem that required a service. I'd have liked to have known that before handing it over.

Of course, if there is a fault logged that indicated that actual attention was necessary, then I'd expect that to be in a report that I get for my inspection fee, but there was nothing other than the bill.

To add insult to injury, the suggestion that I shell out a further £500 as the bracelet was approaching end of life was laughable. This hadn't been mentioned last time they had it and the watch has been hardly worn since the last time; when I have worn it it has been on Pro II rubber so the bracelet has likely been worn for less than 10 days in that period.

I was keen to pop a battery in myself just to confirm that the battery change wouldn't be se sufficient as advised, but as the watch is working perfectly on my wrist, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by both Breitling and my local jeweller
    Good for you mate !! I've seen this attitude from watch manufacturers and their representatives so many times. It borders on criminal misrepresentation.The service departments generally lose money and are primarily there to encourage brand loyalty. Your experience doesn't do much for that does it ?

* I would have demanded my initial fee back. £45.00 is too much for a Breitling zip case !