closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crossbows

Craftsman

Crossbows

I have fancied having one for a while and have decided to buy one before some politician tries to ban them.
    I have seen them come up on Sales Corner and done some googling, what do you have and what do you recommend ?
    I have worked out it is best to get a 175lb one for maximum speed / impact, appreciating it will take a good effort to draw.

Craftsman
    Don't know anything about crossbows but....

I can highly recommend Lale from Silver Archery. Based in London but he can ship. Highly knowledgeable and has a good range of equipment.

https://www.silverarchery.co.uk/

Just picked up my latest compound bow from them this morning

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post
    Wow there are some beautiful pieces of engineering on there, to spend that kind of money I would need an impending Zombie apocalypse, thanks for the link.

I can see this could become a seriously expensive hobby.

Bearing in mind that using them to shoot game or pest species is banned in Britain and assuming that you are going to be target shooting in a garden not a huge field, why do you want “maximum speed/impact”? A 175lb draw crossbow will be so tiring to use that any pleasure will soon be sapped.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Bearing in mind that using them to shoot game or pest species is banned in Britain
    I'm glad to hear that :-)

Craftsman
    Bearing in mind that using them to shoot game or pest species is banned in Britain and assuming that you are going to be target shooting in a garden not a huge field, why do you want “maximum speed/impact”? A 175lb draw crossbow will be so tiring to use that any pleasure will soon be sapped.
    Very big garden, drawing such a crossbow will be no issue for me.
    With speed and force the bolts will be less affected by wind etc. meaning it will shoot more accurately in a variety of conditions.

In my 20s I was a big, fit and strong chap. I had a 120 or 125lb draw crossbow. Drawing repeatedly was quite hard work. Consider also the odd backwards recoil that crossbows have, similar in some ways to the older spring powered air rifles. Less power equals a smoother and easier shooting bow.

Every time I hear about cross/bows the same picture springs to mind

Last edited by VDG; 15th May 2019 at 17:55.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Don’t really want a crossbow, but isn’t the idea of these modern ones that have a pulley system, that they are easier to cock? Or load,or draw, whatever the expression is.
    Genuinely like to know...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Don’t really want a crossbow, but isn’t the idea of these modern ones that have a pulley system, that they are easier to cock? Or load,or draw, whatever the expression is.
    Genuinely like to know...
    I think it depends on how much money you are spending, I am going to go for a traditional one rather than one of the fancy / compound/ pulley models. I may graduate on to a serious money version if I find I enjoy using a crossbow as much as I think I am going to.

Craftsman
    In my 20s I was a big, fit and strong chap. I had a 120 or 125lb draw crossbow. Drawing repeatedly was quite hard work. Consider also the odd backwards recoil that crossbows have, similar in some ways to the older spring powered air rifles. Less power equals a smoother and easier shooting bow.
    Well it is going to be an experience, if I have trouble cocking it I will put my hand up and say you told me so.
    I have just had to email photo ID before the retailer would ship it, so starting my crossbow adventure with one of these.

https://www.preppersshop.co.uk/anglo...ack-1337-p.asp

^^^
    12" power stroke?
    I'm intrigued.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ^^^
    12" power stroke?
    I'm intrigued.
    If only I had 12" still to stroke .......
    I believe it is the distance the string travels from cocked to un-cocked when the bolt is fired.

Watching videos on youtube it seems to fire very smoothly with little recoil,
    I used to have an over and under 12 bore some years ago and a 22 lever action rifle so I don't mind a little recoil,
    but I gave them up when the government tightened down on firearms as to be honest I rarely used them.
    Plus I began to think they were targets for theft even locked in a gun cabinet so probably increased the risk to my family especially when I was away on business.

Craftsman
    Decided to take your advice on the physical effort to continually cock a 175lb draw and get one of these that allegedly halves the effort required utilising pulleys -

A mate at work brought these two for me, He was given them by the chap that made them during WW2, The chap was a fireman who lived in the supurbs of Sheffield but was stationed in London..

He attended a massive fire at a large building and after it was extinguished He took a couple of thick, Heavy oak window boards that had escaped the flames and made these frames from them!

When the war was over and he returned home, Food was still rationed so he used them to silently put meat on the table for his wife and kids!!

I think the limbs were replaced post war as one is Dural, T'uther is glass fibre, Not sure if either were available in the 1940's!!

The two Xbows came with some 60 year old strings and wooden bolts (With some modern plastic flight bolts too), Me and my mate at wortk were on nightshift so I strung one up, We retreated to one of the (Breezeblock) cabins, Cocked and loaded it and aimed through a partially closed door (To avoid it bouncing back!) and took ain at a large corebox made of 8"x2" pine, The old dried out string snapped, The bolt went sideways and bounced off all four walls but we had alreay made a dive under the safety of the table!!

Safe to say, I've not strung the bugger up since, THEY'RE BLUDDY DANGEROUS!!

I also had a Barnett crossbow years ago but my lad sold it at a bootsale!

John