closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DateJust and DayDate...peas in a pod.

Master

The DateJust and DayDate...peas in a pod.

The ‘shortages’ have brought a lot of interest in the current DateJust models....because you can, usually, actually buy one.
    I think they are superb ‘sports’ watches in their own right. Pretty tough. But just look at how similar they are to the DayDate.
    First, 41mm DJ with Jubilee.

And the DD 40 at more than four times the retail.
    Of course, it’s the mark-up for gold, but on the wrist, the DJ feels strikingly similar.
    Although, notionally, different models , both feature the same upgraded , movement with 70 hour reserve, both have identical 10atm proofing. Unless you can’t remember what day it is, they just fulfill the same role in the Rolex range. For me, the Presidential bracelet is nicer, but it has no adjustment, so.... Against the Jubilee.

Both steel options on the DJ are adjustable, definite plus.

There is another option....the steel bezel DJ, cheapest in the range. And possibly my visual favourite.
    Because there is a huge range of dial options, these examples are limited. You get get stick or Roman numerals, loads of dial colours and also 36mm options in both DJ and DD.
    And finally, if you must stick-out, then a nice used version of this will get you in the Sopranos. A disclaimer....not my shirt (or watch).Thanks Hodinkee but I’l pass unless moving to Miami.
    In all, I’m arguing that the DJ/DD ranges are every bit as interesting as the ‘professional’ ranges, but you can buy them....at retail prices from under 6K to just under 30k. Lots of choice.
    And that’s ignoring the platinum DD, which costs......err.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th May 2019 at 09:52.

Master
    There is no way in a million years that I could wear a YG DateJust or a DayDate unless they were on a leather strap. These are beautiful watches but the big heavy gold bracelets make the wearer look like trailer trash and it also attracts the wrong sort of attention. The simple truth is that they are great watches ruined by being over blinged.

Peter, that DJ41 you sold me gets far more wear than any of my sports Rolex apart from the 14060m. Beautiful watch and very comfortable to wear. Yes it's a bit bling with the fluted bezel but I get far more pleasure wearing it than the Daytona, Lvc, Blnr etc.

Master
    I really, really, like these watches and as Davida can testify, they do the job. I agree with Mick P that the yellow gold takes a lot of nerve. I couldn’t wear one. But my dentist has worn the same yellow gold 36mm DD for twenty years, and somehow it looks great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My preference leans towards the white gold fluted bezel on SS case with Jubilee bracelet

Master
    I suspect many infer from the "Sports model" epithet that they must somehow be more robust than the DJ but, in practice, is there any (relevant) difference in the construction whatsoever? I imagine the DJ is no better and no worse. I'd also guess even a great big lump like the Deepsea offers barely any better day to day robustness, certainly in terms of shock-absorbency.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I suspect many infer from the "Sports model" epithet that they must somehow be more robust than the DJ but, in practice, is there any (relevant) difference in the construction whatsoever? I imagine the DJ is no better and no worse. I'd also guess even a great big lump like the Deepsea offers barely any better day to day robustness, certainly in terms of shock-absorbency.
    The lack of crown guards and on some, the fluted bezel make them less robust.

Craftsman
    The DD definitely sends a statement of intent in comparison to the Datejust. The Datejust accomplishes a more suttle look. To reiterate what a previous poster mentioned, the Datejust can be worn on all occasions regardless of dress code.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Whatever the choice, the fluted bezel is a must for me - it's what makes both of these models iconic. I'd also be going for the bracelet option on either watch so would probably go for the Oyster style over the jubilee to tone it down a bit.

Winning with either model in my opinion!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    The lack of crown guards and on some, the fluted bezel make them less robust.
    I'll give you the crown guard but I'd regard all detachable bezels on the sports models as inherently less robust than any DJ bezel (fluted or otherwise) since they can detach / fall off! Admittedly the fluted can pick up nicks more easily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Although, notionally, different models , both feature the same upgraded , movement with 70 hour reserve,
    They aren't the same movement though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Whatever the choice, the fluted bezel is a must for me - it's what makes both of these models iconic. I'd also be going for the bracelet option on either watch so would probably go for the Oyster style over the jubilee to tone it down a bit.

Winning with either model in my opinion!
    I agree with you on the Oyster bracelet but I disagree on the bezel, I much prefer the smooth. I've just got a rhodium DJ41 in SS with Smooth & Oyster & I love it. Mind you, the first DJ I ever saw belonged to an arriviste son of British expats in Hong Kong that I met at university. He had a fluted bezel TT DJ & as he was a colossal bellend it coloured my view of the DJ for years.
    Additionally, as you say, the fluted bezel is a signature part of the DJ. I prefer the lower key approach of smooth bezels & SS not TT. It may help deflect the muggers too...

The fluted bezel on the DD is wider than the DJ's...

I do really like the vintage DDs and DJs.

One thing I cannot forgive Rolex (and indeed other manufacturers at and above this price point) is their not bothering to match the date wheel colour to the dials. GS at least do it sometimes, but on a DD at that price, it's unforgivable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    One thing I cannot forgive Rolex (and indeed other manufacturers at and above this price point) is their not bothering to match the date wheel colour to the dials.
    Rolex do have white dial day dates.. Would match then!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    My preference leans towards the white gold fluted bezel on SS case with Jubilee bracelet
    Found new one at AD in Bath. White gold fluted bezel jubilee and silver dial. Put down a retainer. Will take it off their hands in 3 months. They agreed to a spread payment over 3 months. I am well chuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Rolex do have white dial day dates.. Would match then!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I do really like the vintage DDs and DJs.

One thing I cannot forgive Rolex (and indeed other manufacturers at and above this price point) is their not bothering to match the date wheel colour to the dials. GS at least do it sometimes, but on a DD at that price, it's unforgivable.
    Except Rolex DD can have matching day and date discs, so can some DJs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I agree with you on the Oyster bracelet but I disagree on the bezel, I much prefer the smooth.
    Me too, the fluted is just too much. Smooth bezel and oyster is perfect.

Smooth bezel looks way better than the visible-from-space fluted one, to me.

I bought the 41mn polished bezel on jubilee last week. Plumped for the blue baton dial, which looks stunning. Hasn’t been off my wrist since, and I must say I’m starting to think what all the fuss is about for professional models! These are great watches. Completely off my radar until I actually tried one on....it does everything superbly....a real watch for all occasions. Try one on, you won’t regret it.

Craftsman
    As above but 36mm and fluted bezel for me. I’ll have one of these one day, just looks great, that blue baton dial against the fluted bezel is just lovely. Makes my pinkle fizz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I agree with you on the Oyster bracelet but I disagree on the bezel, I much prefer the smooth. I've just got a rhodium DJ41 in SS with Smooth & Oyster & I love it. Mind you, the first DJ I ever saw belonged to an arriviste son of British expats in Hong Kong that I met at university. He had a fluted bezel TT DJ & as he was a colossal bellend it coloured my view of the DJ for years.
    Additionally, as you say, the fluted bezel is a signature part of the DJ. I prefer the lower key approach of smooth bezels & SS not TT. It may help deflect the muggers too...
    Best thing about the current line up of dj's is the vast amount of choice, something to suit all tastes. Slimmed down case of the 41 compared to the DJ ii makes it a bit more elegant and perfectly proportioned imo.

I opted for fluted bezel (not TT though), jubilee, blue dial. As much as I like it now though and think it suits me, I too would probably have looked a bit of a bell end wearing it at uni!! Hopefully not now though!!

Even a yellow gold Day-Date can be quite versatile on different straps.

Master
    Yes, I think the yellow gold 36mm can look very appealing on a strap. Cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Found new one at AD in Bath. White gold fluted bezel jubilee and silver dial. Put down a retainer. Will take it off their hands in 3 months. They agreed to a spread payment over 3 months. I am well chuffed.
    I tried the same watch whilst in Singapore. Absolutely stunning combination that I'm sure you're going to love. Its going to be a long 3 months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    In all, I’m arguing that the DJ/DD ranges are every bit as interesting as the ‘professional’ ranges
    I find myself agreeing with the OP here. I purchased a lovely little DJ (almost vintage) just before Christmas and it’s pretty much become my go to daily. So much so that I’ve started to look for a second with a blue dial. The variety of bracelets, bezels and dials means that there really is something for everyone somewhere out there. In my personal opinion the DJ41 is just that little bit to large - for some reason I didn’t think the size suits the watch - but each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Acceptance is the final stage of grief.
    If you can't have the one you love, love the one you can have.
    The greatest trick Rolex ever pulled was convincing the world steel professional models don't exist.

Just some thoughts that come to mind when thinking of the Datejust...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Acceptance is the final stage of grief.
    If you can't have the one you love, love the one you can have.
    The greatest trick Rolex ever pulled was convincing the world steel professional models don't exist.

Just some thoughts that come to mind when thinking of the Datejust...
    I own most of the popular sports models but still prefer the DJ41. No acceptance here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I own most of the popular sports models but still prefer the DJ41. No acceptance here.
    No, just boredom from the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    No, just boredom from the sound of it.
    You know best

Journeyman

I have a 36mm datejust white gold fluted bezel and jubilee. It’s an excellent everyday watch that can be dressed up or down when adding a variety of straps.

One day I hope to replace it with a 36mm day-date in white gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    After 5 months of part payments i finally took possession of my 41 mm fluted bezel date just in silver dial and white rolesor bezel with a 20mm jubilee bracelet.

It was a long 5 month wait. The transaction went really smoothly. Everything was explained and bracelet resized twice to my liking. Excellent coffee and chocolates to smooth it all down at Mallorys in Bath.

A customer entered and was seen by another salesman. Requested to buy a explorer for his birthday next week. You know how the rest of the conversation must have gone.

I also asked my agent if as a valued purchaser of a timepiece i would be put on a waiting list for the submariner. And answer was yes with a approx date of 2020-21.

When i reached home I did not look at the watch for a full 3 hrs. It lay in its box and i was walking around the house with a smile on my face. Still cant stop smiling.

Photos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    There is no way in a million years that I could wear a YG DateJust or a DayDate unless they were on a leather strap. These are beautiful watches but the big heavy gold bracelets make the wearer look like trailer trash and it also attracts the wrong sort of attention. The simple truth is that they are great watches ruined by being over blinged.
    Mick, what you need is one of these, the "under the radar Day-Date":

Grand Master
    I like the Datejust, I still own two, but for me it has to be the classic 36mm. The size suits me and I also think the design works better.

I’d seriously consider an older 36mm day-date in yellow gold, but I know I’d never wear it. The risk of attracting the wrong sort of attention would also put me off these days. I’ve never understood why people think their skin tone doesn’t suit yellow gold, I just can’t see the connection.

I don’t see the Datejust as a poor relation to the sports models, particularly comparing the current offering of both genres. The older 5 digit subs were OK, I’ve owned one in the past, but the 6 digits don’t appeal. However, both the current and older Datejusts (and day-date) still tick the boxes for me. My only objection to the current Datejust is the polished lug tops, I preferred the older brushed style.

Master
    congrats lovely watch

i have the blue dialled version of that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post

That’s really nice congratulations, I never thought I’d like these but they are growing on me especially this one .,!

Master

What’s the point if it doesn’t have the right day on

Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    That’s really nice congratulations, I never thought I’d like these but they are growing on me especially this one .,!
    Thank you, kind sir.

Journeyman
    After 5 months of part payments i finally took possession of my 41 mm fluted bezel date just in silver dial and white rolesor bezel with a 20mm jubilee bracelet.

It was a long 5 month wait. The transaction went really smoothly. Everything was explained and bracelet resized twice to my liking. Excellent coffee and chocolates to smooth it all down at Mallorys in Bath.

A customer entered and was seen by another salesman. Requested to buy a explorer for his birthday next week. You know how the rest of the conversation must have gone.

I also asked my agent if as a valued purchaser of a timepiece i would be put on a waiting list for the submariner. And answer was yes with a approx date of 2020-21.

When i reached home I did not look at the watch for a full 3 hrs. It lay in its box and i was walking around the house with a smile on my face. Still cant stop smiling.

Photos soon.
    congratulations wear it in good health .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve never understood why people think their skin tone doesn’t suit yellow gold, I just can’t see the connection.
    Let me help you with that:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mak_35 View Post
    congratulations wear it in good health .
    Thank you my friend

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Sorry to laugh but a pucture says more than a million words.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Interesting look. Not my personal choice.

Master

Yes that is way above the YG but surely for not much more money you could buy a PP ?

Master
    That would assume you wanted a Patek.

Yes that is way above the YG but surely for not much more money you could buy a PP ?
    That just shows that you're far more into the brand name than the watches.

I have a 5146 and a 5712, but the DD has a certain special something. I don't know what it is exactly. I really only like the white metal ones, although I did once try on a dazzling YG DD festooned with diamonds all around the centre links, lugs and bezel, and I must confess I was slightly smitten by it. I felt dirty and ashamed later on. Saved £40k by not buying it.

Master
    Is your a titanium model

Also what size ? I couldn't find Arabic numerals on google.

I like the smooth bezel. Very nice.
    Last edited by Mick P; 14th August 2019 at 00:13.

It's a 118206 w/ blue arabic wave dial.