closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Posting a watch over £2500

Posting a watch over £2500

I am sure this has been discussed in length previously but I cannot seem to find the best way to post a watch over £2500 which is RMSD insurance limit I believe.

I've used UPS with a 5k watch, but it was £85 IIRC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's several ways - MBE/UPS. The cheapest if you don't have a (now unavailable) Parcelpro account is to get insurance for the RMSD parcel independently.

I've used https://www.ifs-inforsure.com/ twice without issue, though not yet had to make a claim. Jeroen of this forum can set you up an account, assuming he still works there.

Master
    The generally accepted position is that if you end up claiming against RMSDs £2500 limit for an item which was worth more than £2500, you wouldn't be covered at all, however on two occassions I have pressed Royal Mail on this on the phone and both times they've said that you would be covered for the first £2500. I still don't trust it enough to try it though.

I also queried about proof required when claiming in a scenario akin to most SC transactions (i.e. no paperwork just a watch sent and a bank transfer made) and was told that bank statements showing transfers coinciding with receipts for sending the item would be adequate.

It always made me wonder if making a £2500 transfer, and a subsequent transfer for the balance, could give you adequate back up. And even at under £2500, I've also wondered if you could end up in an argument about "market value".

"But sir, that Tag Heuer Carrera has a market value of £3750"

"Yes but...."

Craftsman
    I would not trust carrier in any case

A friend used to work at parkhouse and they used FedEx to ship an Ulysses nardin watch worth £27000. And they manage to lose it on the way to Canada.

Master
    Dismantle it and send it in several £2500 value parcels. No! Only joking!

Craftsman
    Call the buyer and agree a mutually convenient pick up point. Get in your car and drive to that place and arrive at the agreed time (most likely a motorway service station or disused industrial facility). Wait for the buyer to approach and flash his headlamps and then flash yours. Get out of the car (and although staring into high beam headlamps) slide the suitcase containing the watch over the tarmac, and hopefully the buyer will reciprocate by sliding a cash-filled suitcase in your direction. Thank him, get in your car and drive off.

P.s. if he's armed just give him the watch, don't worry about the money, and drive off.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 18th September 2018 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Dismantle it and send it in several £2500 value parcels. No! Only joking!
    Appreciate that you were joking, but if the watch isn't very far over the £2500 limit, then sending the head and the bracelet separately could result in two parcels each below the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Appreciate that you were joking, but if the watch isn't very far over the £2500 limit, then sending the head and the bracelet separately could result in two parcels each below the limit.
    I've done this. Don't see why it would be taken as a joke as it makes perfect sense!

Blog Entries
    You are right - it has been discussed before. I use MBE
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th September 2018 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I've used UPS with a 5k watch, but it was £85 IIRC.
    hi there, which UPS website did you use? I just tried to get a quote for 6.2k and the additional insurance came to approx 250.

TIA :)

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I would not trust carrier in any case

A friend used to work at parkhouse and they used FedEx to ship an Ulysses nardin watch worth £27000. And they manage to lose it on the way to Canada.
    They didn't lose it, some scrote nicked it because the label declared in big bold writing that the contents were a watch worth £27,000.

Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    hi there, which UPS website did you use? I just tried to get a quote for 6.2k and the additional insurance came to approx 250.

TIA :)
    This was just over a year ago - just the standard 'infrequent' option, no business account for me.
    Just recreated the package, but with your value, and it's coming in at 87.61, delver by 10:30AM tomorrow or £80.50 for end of day tomorrow. But mine was watch only, no big box, so it lacked the weight and size of full retail packaging.

Remember, the size and weight of the package will influence the cost. Also destination, naturally.

Edit: I've just re-run using a 50cm x 50cm x 50cm box with a weight of 2kg, 6.2k insurance, and it's giving me quotes around 100 quid. What dimensions and weight is yours?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 19th September 2018 at 15:36.

Just wondered if anyone had any recent suggestions for posting a watch over 2.5k?

In the past I've used RMSD and IFSinfosure to cover the value, but their website is down so I assume they've gone bust.

TNT won't cover the item. UPS have said they only carry new watches up to 6 months old and Mailboxes Ect. have quoted £250.

Are there any other solutions out there before I fill the car up and take it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    UPS have said they only carry new watches up to 6 months old
    Do you have this in writing?
    That sounds extremely specific and very relevant to watch sending!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Do you have this in writing?
    That sounds extremely specific and very relevant to watch sending!
    Not in writing. I called them and asked for a quote. It sounded like an overseas call centre but one of the first questions she asked was ‘what is the item’ followed by ‘is it new or used’. She said they don’t send personal items unless new, up to six months old.

Mailboxes would take it, using UPS but with their own insurance, at a substantial cost.

Strange! as I have received vintage watches from ups
    Is this a recent change ?as my watch was purchased online auction and came from Italy . Can't fault the service was delivered within 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Strange! as I have received vintage watches from ups
    Is this a recent change ?as my watch was purchased online auction and came from Italy . Can't fault the service was delivered within 2 days
    They'll clearly let you send it, it just won't be insured if it doesn't meet their criteria. Which is crappy, as no where when doing the shipping for mine at 5k was I asked online about its age, so had something happened, it sounds like they'd say it wasn't covered. It's possibly buried in the T&C's?

- - - Updated - - -

Not in writing. I called them and asked for a quote. It sounded like an overseas call centre but one of the first questions she asked was ‘what is the item’ followed by ‘is it new or used’. She said they don’t send personal items unless new, up to six months old.

Mailboxes would take it, using UPS but with their own insurance, at a substantial cost.
    Many thanks for this. Very useful info.

Master
    Just wondered if anyone had any recent suggestions for posting a watch over 2.5k?

In the past I've used RMSD and IFSinfosure to cover the value, but their website is down so I assume they've gone bust.
    Coincidentally I went onto IFS the other day to get a quote for postage, their website appears to have moved to - https://www.shipinforsure.com
    I logged on with the same details I had for the old address, so guess they've just moved.

Master
    FedEx do insurance if you'll trust them.

Ran a quote on DHL yesterday as I was wondering the same thing.

1.5% of the value as a fee to insure.