closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trees blocking out sun light

Trees blocking out sun light

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3hxb24d8g/
    5.45pm and the neighbours large trees blocking out all natural sun light.
    The trees must be at least 12mt high. Too big for a garden trees I think
    I’ve asked the neighbor if they will cut the down a couple of metres. Flatly refused
    What’s my next step ? Asked the local council and they want £400 before they do a thing
    Andy

Master
    No idea on next steps, but your neighbour seems very unneighbourly to be honest.

Have you offered to pay to get them cut down as it probably makes no difference to them or their sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Copper nails and diesel. Just make sure they fall over away from your house...

Master
    Blog Entries
    There was something about tall hedges being addressed by council, but that doesn't look like a hedge. I can understand why they wouldn't want to top them as they takes years to regain their shape - though ultimately they should do.

I agree that planting these wretched things close to a boundary is un- neighbourly but I would be surprised if there is anything you can do, other than appeal to their better nature. Anything involving legal action could cost a fortune.

FWIW we have about 10 lime trees at the bottom of our garden and they blot out the sun from about 5 pm but it's never bothered me. We have sun the rest of the day...

Hope you find a good solution

ATB

Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Council works we had the same issue, council ordered them to cut down to 12ft and no higher so as to preserve the trees, that was minus 8.5feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Those trees are many years old, were they there when you bought the house ?
    I don't honestly see anything wrong with them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I thought about round up in a super soaker

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Are they evergreen? If so it could be described as a hedge which may give you a better case.

Master
    Not even nice trees though.

We recently took down an enormous (and I mean enormous) Eucalyptus that I loved (the leaves against the blue sky were a sight to behold) that was severely shading our neighbours. It was also a risk in high winds as Eucalyptus can snap without warning. We shared the costs.

I'd approach the neighbours in a friendly manner and explain your problem, maybe even invite them round for drinks on a sunny evening. I'd offer to pay the cost of removal and two replacement trees of a variety to be mutually agreed. Put pride to one side and focus on your end goals.

Master
    I’ve heard of drilling into the trunk with a 1” bit and pouring in round up. Worked a treat I believe

Journeyman
    Needs to be 3 trees planted consecutive to be classed as hedge, no real 'right to light' when individual trees are concerned as the law acknowledges a level of nuisance, leaf fall, seeds shade etc. Trees may be protected either tpo or conservation area in which case only works deemed non damaging or needed to reduce a hazard will be permitted. Canopy reduction may not help, consider crown thinning perhaps. In cases like these it is best to try and resolve amicably, inviting your neighbour round to discuss may nit be a bad idea. Good luck
    Edit.
    Just seen the pics, thinning not an option, four on left could arguably be classed as a hedge although the single conifer appears to be the real problem.
    Last edited by fierbois16; 14th May 2019 at 19:31. Reason: hadt noticed the image link

Master
    Is it legal to have all branches removed that overhang the property line as long as the cuttings are returned to the owner? that might leave the trees unsightly so your neighbours might agree to a compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Needs to be 3 trees planted consecutive to be classed as hedge, no real 'right to light' when individual trees are concerned as the law acknowledges a level of nuisance, leaf fall, seeds shade etc. Trees may be protected either tpo or conservation area in which case only works deemed non damaging or needed to reduce a hazard will be permitted. Canopy reduction may not help, consider crown thinning perhaps. In cases like these it is best to try and resolve amicably, inviting your neighbour round to discuss may nit be a bad idea. Good luck
    Edit.
    Just seen the pics, thinning not an option, four on left could arguably be classed as a hedge although the single conifer appears to be the real problem.
    There’s about 4 big trees going along the bottom of the garden
    https://postimg.cc/TyLKw85G

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Judging by the 6' fence the tree looks to be no higher than 18-20'. I see that it's blocking your sun but the tree itself is not unduly large, not sure the council could enforce a removal at that height?

Are they evergreen? If so it could be described as a hedge which may give you a better case.
    Yes evergreen. 4 or 5 in a kind across bottom of the garden

Journeyman
    The height and (presumed)distance from the house taken into account then enforcement is very unlikely as seadog has mentioned.
    You are entitled to remove branches to you boundary; however the unsightly part will be on your side and will likely sour the relationship with your neighbour.

Master
    The type/thickness of tree is an issue. I have 30 feet silver birches at the end of my garden. (15m from house). They are relatively scrawny and bare. I took 20 feet off them last summer.

Leylandae should not be allowed to grow above 15 feet imo.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I recently had a similar problem there is a lot of information on this site.

https://www.leylandii.com

Master
    Go and buy the biggest pile of crap that you can get an MOT for and park it outside his house assuming no yellow lines. Then tell him you will move it when he sorts the tree out.

There are lots of different ways of being a nuisance neighbour whilst remaining within the laws of the land...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Go and buy the biggest pile of crap that you can get an MOT for and park it outside his house assuming no yellow lines. Then tell him you will move it when he sorts the tree out.

There are lots of different ways of being a nuisance neighbour whilst remaining within the laws of the land...
    I was thinking more along the lines of box van
    A green one too. Then just make it look as scruffy as possible.

You could also keep trimming the trees and putting the trimmings on his doorstep that would probably get to him after a while.

If we have another really hot spell make sure your bbq doesn’t get to close to his trees.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Criminal damage equals a criminal record, plus a potential custodial sentence.
    The trees are the property of the owner, just like the side of your house, your car, your dog are your property.

Craftsman
    I have very large major trees on both my eastern and southern boundaries, the ones to the east are huge and must be well over 100 years old.
    They bring welcome shade in the heat of summer and dappled shade on the patio.
    The noise from them in a storm is amazing plus they are a wildlife oasis for squirrels that travel along them dropping down to bounce along the wooden fence and stone built walls in places, the bird life they support is substantial, woodpeckers (green and the black and white checker ones),
    jays, long tail tits, gold finches and chaffinches. Celebrate what the trees bring rather than worry about sun-light at 17:45 in the evening.
    It doesn't look like the single conifer shades your whole garden.
    Last edited by BadgerUK; 14th May 2019 at 20:43.

^^^^

This. It looks like these trees are casting shade max 1h in the evening.

It may be a urban legend but if a bitch peed on the roots...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It looks like they might constitute a hedge https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=408 so suggest to the neighbour that they reduce the height modestly or risk them being taken down to 2m.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    There are lots of different ways to knock 7 bells out of a knobby neighbour too, obviously, whilst remaining within the laws of the land...

Master
    Now, I like a knobby neighbour and I also like a nuisance neighbour, but which is better? There's only one way to find out.... FIGHT!

Leyland cypress are the bane of neighbourly relations, as they are unmaintainable, because if you let them get too big and then trim them hard (to bare branches), they do not regrow, they just look bare and ugly.
    The big one (given 6 ft fence panels) is about 6m tall, but a fairly bushy specimen. It is not an appropriate tree for the garden size.
    The 3 on the left are the perfect size to maintain now, and the one in the middle, which is not a Leyland but probably a cedar, is a handsome tree but as you can see allows a lot more light through.
    Your ideal aim should be to get them to take down the big one, for not being trimmable, trim the 3 (or is it 4?) on the left but 3-4 ft, which will work fine, and leave the cedar in all its glory, it is far superior tree, and allows light through. The Cedar is the paler tree right behind the trampoline in photos 2 and 3.
    The thing is that big Leyalnd will be making a desert underneath it, they are very effective at wiping out the competition at their base, so getting rid of it may even improve their garden, and even increase the value of the neighbour's property, as it will remove a substantial future cost for them or any new owner. Sell it that way......
    Dave
    Last edited by sweets; 15th May 2019 at 09:48. Reason: spelling

I might be alone with this thought, but I also have big trees, both in my own and my neighbours' gardens, and I would hate to see them go. Removing them would have you looking at just a bare fence, while now it almost looks forest-like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Someone that knows the rules.... been through the same scenario with our neighbour. They have a Leylandii which they say they have a sentimental attachment to since it was a gift from now deceased mum.... unbelievable... a nice maple or whatever but a Leylandii? Anyway we've discovered it's actually three trees close to together i.e. a hedge i.e. we could force then to chop it down to hedge height. At one stage it was higher than the houses and this is on the party fence line of the garden. We had a word and now they keep it to about 12-14ft high. It's a real eyesore with a straggly flat top :-( Still what are you going to do? Fall out with them over it?

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    I might be alone with this thought, but I also have big trees, both in my own and my neighbours' gardens, and I would hate to see them go. Removing them would have you looking at just a bare fence, while now it almost looks forest-like.
    I would agree if the trees in question were something like an oak, beech etc. Deciduous trees change with the seasons and are a haven for wildlife. However, Leylandi serve little purpose except creating a tall green wall to annoy neighbours or screen your garden from something you don’t want to see.

Late one night empty a few large bags of salt around the base of the tree, the tree will die, when I say bags I mean 20kg sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Late one night empty a few large bags of salt around the base of the tree, the tree will die, when I say bags I mean 20kg sacks
    Siri, show me the worst advice possible.

In a thread where we've had thoughtful, measured replies ( Jeremy67, 28BadgerUK, sweets), did you even read the thread, Vanguard?

This bit?

The trees are the property of the owner, just like the side of your house, your car, your dog are your property.
    Or did you just skip to the end and dive in with both feet and a bit of dumb advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We recently took down an enormous (and I mean enormous) Eucalyptus that I loved
    What are the giraffes and koalas supposed to eat now? Complete lack of forethought...
    "A man of little significance"

KFC and kebabs like the rest of us.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    What are the giraffes and koalas supposed to eat now? Complete lack of forethought...
    And our colds are much worse now too!

Grand Master
    Two things,were the roles reversed and you were asked to chop them down,yes I know you'd say you would!.And the other,maybe your neighbours actually like them that high.

So for the only reason of a few more degrees of sun you want them down,does the sun drop with the tree vertically or to the right of the tree,if it's dropping to the right of the tree then 30mins or so would see it burning your skin again soon.

But I see your annoyance.

I’m not asking them to get rid of all the trees. I’ve asked them if they can just trim some off the tops. They said no

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Two things,were the roles reversed and you were asked to chop them down,yes I know you'd say you would!.And the other,maybe your neighbours actually like them that high.

So for the only reason of a few more degrees of sun you want them down,does the sun drop with the tree vertically or to the right of the tree,if it's dropping to the right of the tree then 30mins or so would see it burning your skin again soon.

But I see your annoyance.
    The big one has 3 the same directly along side it going along the bottom there garden Is now still bathed in sun light
    So I can see there point of view. In the winter it’s even worse any winter sunlight is gone by 2ish

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Siri, show me the worst advice possible.

In a thread where we've had thoughtful, measured replies ( Jeremy67, 28BadgerUK, sweets), did you even read the thread, Vanguard?

This bit?

Or did you just skip to the end and dive in with both feet and a bit of dumb advice?
    Haha No one is going to prison for killing a neighbours tree, they'd have to prove it was you and do you actually think the Police would even be remotely interested, Oh Hello Sir your tree is Dead you say? Yes don't worry we'll send the serious crime squad straight round. You can't even get the Plod out for a burglary these days, they just give you a crime number.

Craftsman
    Haha No one is going to prison for killing a neighbours tree, they'd have to prove it was you and do you actually think the Police would even be remotely interested, Oh Hello Sir your tree is Dead you say? Yes don't worry we'll send the serious crime squad straight round. You can't even get the Plod out for a burglary these days, they just give you a crime number.
    The Police would definitely be interested in the dead tree case with you hanging by the neck from it.

So your morality is commit the crime if you assess the risk is small that you will suffer any consequences.
    I am glad you don't live anywhere near me.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    The Police would definitely be interested in the dead tree case with you hanging by the neck from it.

So your morality is commit the crime if you assess the risk is small that you will suffer any consequences.
    I am glad you don't live anywhere near me.
    Yawn.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 16th May 2019 at 13:14.

The end of my garden is entirely dominated by neighbour's trees. I would be horrified if they were touched. Why would anyone want to have a viewpoint which comprises of a fence?

Master
    Police took away copper piping for fingerprint analysis last year from one of my trees. Knocked on neighbourhood doors as well.

I'm surprised no one suggested keying the guys car yet :roll:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The end of my garden is entirely dominated by neighbour's trees. I would be horrified if they were touched. Why would anyone want to have a viewpoint which comprises of a fence?
    Completely different, that’s a beautiful view that isn’t impacting your garden. We have an oak in our garden; it meant we needed circa 2m foundations for our extension ( nightmare as we couldn’t get a digger with an arm that long in the garden). Wouldn’t have dreamed of removing it. Would I want horrible Leylandii cut, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Exactly this ^^^

And a civil claim for the cost of reinstating adult trees will come with a very large costs bill on top of the tree work - and a lower standard of proof required to put you on the wrong end of the deal.

Master
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...-poole-council

Even cutting your own tree can breach the law.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3hxb24d8g/
    5.45pm and the neighbours large trees blocking out all natural sun light.
    The trees must be at least 12mt high. Too big for a garden trees I think
    I’ve asked the neighbor if they will cut the down a couple of metres. Flatly refused
    What’s my next step ? Asked the local council and they want £400 before they do a thing
    Andy
    From your photos, it's a non-issue. They do not block out all natural sun light.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I'm surprised no one suggested keying the guys car yet :roll:
    I’d imagine they’d assumed it’d been done at this stage of proceedings.