Evening all. I am after some advice if you would be so kind.

Having recently brought new and sold to the forum my 216570 (it was too big for me) I want to try the smaller 40mm version. Having looked around there seem to be quite a few 16570 versions about but I have recently come across the transitional model 16550 and understand they are quite rare.

Reason being, as I understand it, is because of a short production run of approximately 4 years (1985 to 1989) using the calibre 3085 instead of the calibre 3185 used in the later 16570 model.

I really like the watch and want to buy it but don’t really know too much about them, what these are going for, and if there is merit going for this earlier version - potentially paying a premium compared to the later version.

I have seen one local to me which I have handled and seems quite nice (I may have put finger prints on if shown in photos). It has been serviced by Rolex in 2016, including replacement service dial (no doubt a shame) but I am unsure about condition. It looks ok to me and looks to have had a light rub over at the time of service. (I say as it’s in good nick).

I have taken a few photos and would appreciate the collective thoughts on the watch in general , condition, and value (service dial and polish). Anything scary I should be worried about.

I am not sure if this is vintage but regardless, I don’t know enough about older Rolex to make a call.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thank you to this great community.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk