closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is Grand Seiko compare to R****?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    I will never understand why folk pay mental money for a Seiko. £200 is my max limit for a Seiko.

Taxi.
    Pretty good chance it's because they are worth every penny and give pretty much the best bang for the buck at that price point. Appreciate for many folks the name on the dial is important but for true horological enthusiasts (as opposed to people who say they collect watches when reality they have a Sub and a Speedy Pro) GS represent something marvellous.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    I will never understand why folk pay mental money for a Seiko. £200 is my max limit for a Seiko.

Taxi.
    I think that is a rather extreme opinion. The days of 'how much for a Seiko??' have passed. GS have established themselves as being worthy of the price on the tag. Not everyone may see it that way but their prices make as much sense as luxury Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Pretty good chance it's because they are worth every penny and give pretty much the best bang for the buck at that price point. Appreciate for many folks the name on the dial is important but for true horological enthusiasts (as opposed to people who say they collect watches when reality they have a Sub and a Speedy Pro) GS represent something marvellous.

That quite fairly sums it up I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It also depends on what you are comparing. A Sub vs a GS diver? The GS is much better finished but the Sub exudes a certain tooliness and the clasp is better.

However compare a Snowflake or one of the dressier GS vs a Datejust 41 and the GS completely obliterates the Rolex. The polishing of the hands, indices, dial work, beveling, all the small touches that you only see on close inspection such as the mirror finishing on the date windows and power reserve cut outs etc. On the dressier pieces GS is just phenomenal. I'm sure someone is going to come on here and disagree but don't as it's not even a contest comparing a £5k+ GS with a DJ 41 as the GS is several rungs ahead of it. The DJ is an iconic design however and that is a huge pull for some (and also a put off for others as it's a bit of a 'me too' watch).

Styling is your own personal preference of course.

You seem very knowledgable on GS. What modes would you recommend as a first GS (apart from snowflake)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn345 View Post
    You seem very knowledgable on GS. What modes would you recommend as a first GS (apart from snowflake)?

Depends on what you want. For a Sporty watch with plenty of refinement you can't do better IMHO than the SBGE201 or the different colour derivatives. RRP is £5500 but I'd be targeting a sub £4k buy in BNIB which is possible if you shop around (hint look at the USA). Superb watch, has the Spring Drive tech, very tactile piece, sporty but with all the refinement. Job's a good 'un.

I just don’t see the comparison. There are very few GS watches that I would even consider - for the vast majority the styling is just god awful. Spring Drive with hideous power reserves on dials (& I still bought more than a few of those!). The finishing might be good on certain GS models, but if you don’t like the case shape/size/detailing, or the bracelet, or the fit, then it becomes less relevant.

Both brands make watches that would no doubt last a lifetime if looked after/serviced when required - so simply buy the one you prefer the looks of best.
    It's just a matter of time...

For anyone intrigued about GS finishing have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlWaDsqXZ5I&t=240s

It's for a £5k GS, so similar investment to a Datejust 41. Now as the previous posted said styling may or may not be your thing (and Rolex are brilliant at having iconic styles that they make gradual tweaks to as opposed to what GS (and Omega) do which is bring out zillions of iterations of the same thing) however hopefully you can see the finishing and attention to detail come through and that this finishing is worlds apart from whatever else you could get at £5k. This is NOT a watch put together by robots on an assembly line.

This a a good article on the micro artist division within Seiko - this is the real top end where they try and emulate the likes of Phillipe Dufour. It illustrates that not all Seiko are created equally.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/05/15/v...tist-division/

GS Hi Beat Diver and Rolex Deepsea. It is very difficult to state which is the better watch because they are so different to each other.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    If you wear a GS, you're very likely a WIS.. Can't say the same for a Rolex.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    But what if you wear both GS and Rolex...as most of us do. What are you then, apart from prone to buying too many watches?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But what if you wear both GS and Rolex...as most of us do. What are you then, apart from prone to buying too many watches?
    At the same time? :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    At the same time? :)

There was a guy at work who wore a watch on each wrist; he looked a complete plonker.

Craftsman
    There was a guy at work who wore a watch on each wrist; he looked a complete plonker.

Was it this guy

Master
    You don't need to wear anything Peter. We all know you're a watch enthusiast! My meaning is more if you saw someone wearing a GS on the street, you will know they are really into watches.

Theres really no right answer as we're all different. Each brand conveys something unique to me and that's why I like them.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

I can tell you that my GS runs at +/- 0 seconds over the last 6 days.
    But then again so does my Decathlon Geonaute sports watch, and that was 18 Euros

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    GS Hi Beat Diver and Rolex Deepsea. It is very difficult to state which is the better watch because they are so different to each other.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I thought the Deepsea was pretty big, that thing next to it is a dinner plate!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Amazingly, at 46.9mm the GS has a smaller lug to lug length and is thinner than the Deepsea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I thought the Deepsea was pretty big, that thing next to it is a dinner plate!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Awww, I really like you Verv and this is the first post of yours that I am not sitting here nodding in agreement. There is, of course, nothing absolute in this rather pointless and purely subjective hobby, but the attraction to GS is not a reaction to the relative ubiquitousness of Rolex. To my tastes they have an appeal all of their own, unfortunatley, Rolex is the benchmark to which they are compared.
    Sorry Mondie, I just don't like much about them aesthetically and I really dislike the bracelets. There are a couple of exceptions with some ltd editions. Raffe has one with a peacock colour dial that I like.

Master
    There’s an interesting article by Ariel Adams in ‘a blog to watch’. In a nutshell, he suggests that Rolex utterly dominates the entire luxury watch sector, and that other brands benefit from the huge market it creates. In one sense, they all need Rolex to keep the market alive.
    Which makes the ‘which is better’ stuff a bit pointless. In this account, Rolex is the sun around which other brands revolve.

In this account, Rolex is the sun around which other brands revolve.
    Well on TZ-UK at least.

Speaking to some US watch folks GS is making huge inroads there at the ADs. Obviously nothing to trouble Rolex and Omega as yet but it is outselling brands such as Ulysse Nardin and Glashutte Original. One AD has seen GS overtake Panerai sales. US GS prices are around 20% lower than the UK though. The Snowflake is very hard to come by in certain ADs. Interestingly in Asia outside of Japan very few people are buying GS, Omega in particular is taking market share from Rolex in the mid-tier sector with the high end sector still very much dominated by Patek etc.

UK high street GS Ads such as Chisholm Hunter get very little 'off the street' business for GS however what they were saying is that the fact people look in the windows at the watches and see Seikos marked up at £8k+ is opening the eyes of many people. This was also one of the first ADs to get Tudor in the UK and they saw initially slow take up of Tudors however it's a different market now.

I had 4 Grand Seikos, Spring Drive GMT, Spring Drive GMT Chrono, Snowflake and quartz day/date. All gone now...

Craftsman
    https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/special/gtr/

Any idea on how hard it will be to obtain one of this? Thoughts on the price point? (EUR 21k from a website)