closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 content - why is nothing ever straightforward?

911 content - why is nothing ever straightforward?

I decided to tackle the Carrera S script on the engine lid of my 911, I'm never really been a fan of the mis-matched lettering and to me it always seems unbalanced.

I thought it would be a simple enough job so I ordered a new 911 badge in black, when it arrived I got to work removing the old script.

I was left with a bit of polishing to do so out came the Rupes DA and I got to work, however the intervening 12 years meant that even after mucho fine polishing I could still see a shadow where the old script had been.

No amount of fine or medium polishing improved that shadow which meant I was going to have to get the lid painted to overcome the problem. With this in mind I threw caution to the wind and moved up to a coarser pad and paste. After 10 minutes or so the inevitable happened.

I managed to get through the clear and the colour coat but that damned shadow was still visible where the paint was hanging on!

I got the car back from the painters today and finally fitted the new badge over a week after I started the job.

I'm very pleased with the result but it was definitely a case of sod's law, nothing's ever as straightforward as I'd like it to be!

Love the simple black 911 lettering. So much better. What a headache but at least it looks great.

Master
    That is actually an improvement well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Prefer the original.

You are in Right Said Fred, and I claim my five pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Prefer the original.

+1

Blog Entries
    +1.

Telling the world that it's 911 is not really a 'must'; that iconic shape is like a Coke bottle: even the smallest part is recognisable as a part of a 911. I would have kept the original lettering or nothing at all.

Menno

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    +1.

Telling the world that it's 911 is not really a 'must'; that iconic shape is like a Coke bottle: even the smallest part is recognisable as a part of a 911. I would have kept the original lettering or nothing at all.

Menno
    Id never know what car it was without the 911 numbers on show.

Well I’m not actually “telling the world” anything and the car is a 911! The 911 badge is fitted on some models and in some markets and it’s a genuine part, I just happen to much prefer it to the Carrera S one. Good job I prefer it I suppose

Master
    Both look nice so I wouldn’t worry. Personal preference.

Craftsman
    Its what ticks your box....... Lovely beast.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

That is what normally happens to me when undertaking what I think is a straightforward job......ends up costing me more time and more money, I feel for you.

Master
    I'd have left it unbadged.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutter, but it looks sweet now.

I recently did the badge removal on my Cayman. Was going to replace with black badges but now I really like it unbadged.

Plus most others don't know it's an S which I prefer.

I'd put Tarted up Beetle instead

Seriously thought, personally, I prefer the original logo.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I would have left it alone. Stating 911 is superfluous, what else could it be?

I would have spent however much it cost you to do it on petrol and/or tyres. Mine ate rears.

I'd have put a RUF sticker over it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Then I’d have to check mot and road fund licence status

What about if you just had the original badges sprayed black, I think it would have taken the edge off the font and would have gone back in the same place, 911 looks good though..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A VW badge would have been better 😜

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    What about if you just had the original badges sprayed black, I think it would have taken the edge off the font and would have gone back in the same place, 911 looks good though..
    Black Carrera S badges are available Martyn, but it's the two different fonts and sizes that's always bugged me. In my mind it's the one thing that spoils the rear view on the 997 versions.

The black 911 badge is actually used on the 991 versions of the 911 Carreras, when I parked beside one a few weeks ago and compared rear ends (fnaar) I thought it looked so much tidier and less in your face that I decided to change mine.

It's just that as usual what started out as a simple job turned into a bit of a ball ache!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I would have left it alone. Stating 911 is superfluous, what else could it be?

I would have spent however much it cost you to do it on petrol and/or tyres. Mine ate rears.
    As I've said above, Porsche put the 911 badge on the engine lid of the 991 version 911's anyway, if it's good enough for Porsche it's certainly good enough for me. The tyres were all replaced a few months ago but what this job cost me wouldn't even buy one rear.

I’m surprised that the old badge placing didn’t polish out, I have a DA with some decent pads and polish and it’s good at removing most light scuffs or seagull crap burns, why do you think the colour change went right through the lacquer - top coat down to primer?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I managed to get the surface perfectly smooth with a fine pad and polish but the paint itself had actually faded, however the car is 12 years old this year. The paint guy said it was solely due to the age of the paint, apparently reds and blues are more prone to fade than other colours which I have heard mentioned before.

Actually preferred the previous as it matched the exhausts.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is no discussing taste.
    The stóry however, mán how typical. Yes, quite, indeed.
    It seems a law of nature.
    Thanks for sharing.

Looks good, always meant to do this on mine back in 2006 but never got round to it, I would have put the Silver 911 badge on though

Master
    It gets you from A to B ! Or in your case C to A, then R .........................

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think the different sized exhaust trims would annoy me more...

Nice motor though

I'd have gone for silver, personally. I think it works better on the 991 because of the different design, and the Porsche text above. But certainly doesn't look bad on the 997.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

R

Or this...

^^^
    Does that say outlaw Menno?

Blog Entries
    Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I think the different sized exhaust trims would annoy me more...

Nice motor though
    This denotes the Sports exhaust option

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Both look nice so I wouldn’t worry. Personal preference.
    Agree both look great

Master
    And yet the number plate screw caps don't grate? Much nicer stuck on with double sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

As I've said above, Porsche put the 911 badge on the engine lid of the 991 version 911's anyway, if it's good enough for Porsche it's certainly good enough for me. The tyres were all replaced a few months ago but what this job cost me wouldn't even buy one rear.
    Yes and there's also a badge delete option which I would consider ticking if I bought new. My 997S (Gen 1; 3.8L) had the same CarreraS script yours started with. Fantastic car, and I always thought it was sort-of cool that it didn't have 911 or PORSCHE badging. All personal taste, obvs.

I replaced it with this heavily-badged-up car, a total peach:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Then Creepy would have to check mot and road fund licence status
    FTFY :-)
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th May 2019 at 15:36.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    This denotes the Sports exhaust option

Yes I know, although I'd expect a sports car to come with a sports exhaust by default.
    It would just annoy the heck out of me, especially as they're top-aligned and not centre-aligned, as well as being different sizes.

Each to their own etc

R
    But then you don't have a 911, let alone one with RUF mods, so it's rather moot.

But if you really do intent on pursuring your vendetta please stick to the BP and save all these folks your rather nasty, vindictive and toxic comments. Better still why not direct your comments directly to me via PM. Now there's a thought!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Yes I know, although I'd expect a sports car to come with a sports exhaust by default.
    It would just annoy the heck out of me, especially as they're top-aligned and not centre-aligned, as well as being different sizes.

Each to their own etc
    You don't care when you're driving it

I had the PSE fitted to my car by an OPC after purchase and it definitely improves the sound (especially if you pull the plug out to the vacuum pump that closes the valve),

Porsche didn't get as rich as they did without fleecing you on the options list for all the things you want/need to make the car complete, the base price just draws you in then the fun begins, I did 6k of options without even trying, money no object you could easily add 20k of toys

Master
    I decided to tackle the Carrera S script on the engine lid of my 911, I'm never really been a fan of the mis-matched lettering and to me it always seems unbalanced.

I thought it would be a simple enough job so I ordered a new 911 badge in black, when it arrived I got to work removing the old script.

I was left with a bit of polishing to do so out came the Rupes DA and I got to work, however the intervening 12 years meant that even after mucho fine polishing I could still see a shadow where the old script had been.

No amount of fine or medium polishing improved that shadow which meant I was going to have to get the lid painted to overcome the problem. With this in mind I threw caution to the wind and moved up to a coarser pad and paste. After 10 minutes or so the inevitable happened.

I managed to get through the clear and the colour coat but that damned shadow was still visible where the paint was hanging on!

I got the car back from the painters today and finally fitted the new badge over a week after I started the job.

I'm very pleased with the result but it was definitely a case of sod's law, nothing's ever as straightforward as I'd like it to be!

The newly painted part looks very flat compared for the original?

Maybe it’s just the photograph though...

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Yes and there's also a badge delete option which I would consider ticking if I bought new. My 997S (Gen 1; 3.8L) had the same CarreraS script yours started with. Fantastic car, and I always thought it was sort-of cool that it didn't have 911 or PORSCHE badging. All personal taste, obvs.

I replaced it with this heavily-badged-up car, a total peach:

The badging on your Cayman looks great, the Cayman GTS is all the same font and size (apart from upper and lower case of course) which isn't the case with the Carrera S, that's the bit that bugged me enough to change!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The newly painted part looks very flat compared for the original?

Maybe it’s just the photograph though...
    It's just the angle it's taken, from here you can see more detail

The badging on your Cayman looks great, the Cayman GTS is all the same font and size (apart from upper and lower case of course) which isn't the case with the Carrera S, that's the bit that bugged me enough to change!
    That's true, and don't get me wrong, your new 911 badging looks very good. Let's face it, anything looks great on there because it's a 911.

I always pictured the S as a representation of a winding road (that's probably just me off on a flight of fancy though).

.... I'm never really been a fan of the mis-matched lettering and to me it always seems unbalanced.

So now all you've got to do is sort out those mis-matched tail-pipes.

Master
    It's just the angle it's taken, from here you can see more detail

Ah yes, that looks much better!

If we’re playing rear end games allow me to introduce mine...factory standard lettering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    But if you really do intent on pursuring your vendetta please stick to the BP and save all these folks your rather nasty, vindictive and toxic comments.
    Like you do, Andy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    FTFY :-)
    Hypocrite.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Slightly prefer the silver lettering on a blue car but definitely a good job.
    Last edited by mactrack; 15th May 2019 at 12:25.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A nice real world experience sharing thread has devolved in a me too spends on image thread.

A bit less OCD and a bit more thrashing it* over those ´S´** roads please; háving a Porsche says very little, less that than little about driving skill guys. A bit like desk diving only Rolexi.

* there is a negative correlation between OCD and úsing the sports options

** good one that

Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th May 2019 at 11:11.