closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manchester suggestions

Master

Manchester suggestions

One of my colleagues has been chosen to play in a charity match at Old Trafford next Thursday and can bring two guests.

We were thinking about driving up and staying near the stadium on Wednesday and going into the city centre for the evening.

Having only ever been to Manchester to watch football I don't know it at all.

Any suggestions for the evening?
    Nice restaurant? Maybe steakhouse?
    Good area for bars?
    Any hotel recommendations with parking?

Many thanks.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    The People's Republic of Mancunia has some great eateries. For steaks, Grill on the Alley, Gaucho, Hawksmoor are great. Ale wise, you've some traditional pubs, or the more upmarket ones, 20 Stories is a good one for that. It has a panoramic view of the city, although the wallet might take a bit of a hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    The People's Republic of Mancunia has some great eateries. For steaks, Grill on the Alley, Gaucho, Hawksmoor are great. Ale wise, you've some traditional pubs, or the more upmarket ones, 20 Stories is a good one for that. It has a panoramic view of the city, although the wallet might take a bit of a hammering.
    Grill on the Alley has closed unfortunately .....but Restaurant Bar & Grill opposite is great and you can sit on the terrace which is a nice place in weather like this

for more informal eateries Dishoom is a Bombay style Indian which is fantastic, and there are loads of "trendy" (my kids groan when I use that phrase) places in the Northern Quarter and Ancoats.

Personally I'd steer clear of The Ivy - style over substance

sorry - missed the bit about Hotels with parking. Copthorne is walking distance to Old Trafford.

Also there is a hotel on site at Lancashire County Cricket which is also walking distance. Both have parking....

The 'Grill on the alley' has closed - the sister restaurant is the 'Grill on New York St' - the same menu but it has no charm or ambiance.

We had a great family meal at 'Fazenda' - all you can eat steak, poultry and fish - similar to Bem Brazil, but better meat platter.

Blog Entries
    Last year a good friend (professional clarinet player) was playing at the Manchester Opera House, and booked dinner for us and his family at Tattu', a chinese restaurant nearby (about 5 mins walk).

It was totally gorgeous, a great experience with the dumplings, ribs, chowmeins and the lot. If it wasn't for the final bill (a bit stiff) would have been a totally positive night , for me one of the best chinese ever.

BWs
    franco, Sheffield

Master
    Used the Fazenda in Edinburgh, great eatery.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    You never mentioned which Old trafford - the cricket or football ground

Master
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, I’ll look into them.

It’s the football ground - he entered a completion at work through Virgin Money and gets to play a couple of 20 minute games.

I’d be tempted to stay at Hotel Football if you don’t want to be in the centre. The Hilton at LCCC is also only a couple of minutes walk from The Swamp .
    The tram is a short walk away with direct links.
    Depending on food tastes , there’s no shortage of decent eateries. Tattu isn’t axclusively a Chinese, it’s an Asian Fusion restaurant and is very very good. Dishooom has also been mentioned. This is also very good and the building it’s housed in is amazing. Next door is Masons which does an exceptional steak. You could also head to Spinningfields where there are a good selection of restaurants and bars .
    Last edited by thegoat; 13th May 2019 at 22:13.

Master
    There is an amazing "world tapas" restaurant called "Refuge @Volta" just inside the Principal hotel on Oxford Street.

It's a decent hotel too, just a bit expensive. No parking, but you get reduced NCP rates if you're staying there.

The restaurant is belting, we had absolutely loads to eat, a couple of cocktails with the meal and beers beforehand and had change out of £100. Well impressed.
    Location-wise it's directly opposite Oxford Road station so a minute to either Piccadilly (Northern Quarter) or Victoria (Printworks etc).

Otherwise, some superb bars around the surrounding block and spitting distance to Deansgate - you most certainly won't be stuck for boozers.

It all depends what you're into. I would always recommend a pint at the Brewdog bar (In Spinningfields - bottom end of Deansgate). They have some run of the mill ales on but there is always something mental on the specials board as well.
    Cocktails - you won't beat The Alchemist. I bloody love that place. Expensive, and maybe not the best idea if you're out all night. ;)

Just a bog standard pint? Printworks. There's a Wetherspoons at the top (Lloyds Bar), Yate's at the bottom and half a dozen various bars in the middle. Bierkeller is always a winner, always heaving at weekend but should be a good laugh on a Thursday night.

Master
    We’ve just booked to stay at Hotel Football for ease. Think we’ll book Hawksmoor as the other two are keen to try it (I’ve been to the seven dials a couple of times and had fantastic food). Will try Spinningfields/ Brewdog and 20 stories (if it’s okay just going for drinks).

Great info everyone, thanks very much :-)

Master
    Just out of interest, has anyone tried "Wood"? The restaurant run by the masterchef winner (think he's called Simon Wood?). I half fancy it but it looks a bit hoity-toity pretentious. I love a good feed but it's got to feel natural and comfortable.

You could always stay anywhere in the city centre and get the tram to Old Trafford. It’s only about 10 minutes from St Peters Square to Old Trafford then another 5 minute walk up Warwick Road.

NTQ in the Northern Quarter is probably Manchester's best kept secret food wise. Modern British always good.
    Bar wise depends what you like but there's something for everyone around the Northern Quarter.
    Flok is good and great ales and wines, The Castle if you want an old decent boozer. Common is good. Patron is decent. Dusk Till Pawn (which looks like a Pawn Shop) is good. Or head to Ancoates over the road. Seven Brothers and Jane Eyre or decent. Seven Brothers has loads of good beer. Sugo Around there is amazing italian and Hip Hop Chip Shop is a favourite.

I'm sure I could ramble on all day..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Just out of interest, has anyone tried "Wood"? The restaurant run by the masterchef winner (think he's called Simon Wood?). I half fancy it but it looks a bit hoity-toity pretentious. I love a good feed but it's got to feel natural and comfortable.
    I've not been yet, but have eaten at his guest spot night at OAFC and he's a friend of a friend.
    Best way I'd describe it is "Northern hoity-toity" i.e. it is a bit, but with a nod towards proper northern grub.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    NTQ in the Northern Quarter is probably Manchester's best kept secret food wise. Modern British always good.
    Bar wise depends what you like but there's something for everyone around the Northern Quarter.
    Flok is good and great ales and wines, The Castle if you want an old decent boozer. Common is good. Patron is decent. Dusk Till Pawn (which looks like a Pawn Shop) is good. Or head to Ancoates over the road. Seven Brothers and Jane Eyre or decent. Seven Brothers has loads of good beer. Sugo Around there is amazing italian and Hip Hop Chip Shop is a favourite.

I'm sure I could ramble on all day..
    I'd recommend the Northern Quarter too, best pizza around ;-) https://ilovemanchester.com/manchest...est-in-europe/

In terms of things to do there's loads of culture depending what you're into, museums, street art, music history, you name it.

Whats the thinking about staying near the stadium, do you have an early start on the Thursday morning? I'd be tempted to stay more in town & head over in the morning? Hotel Gotham is a great base, right in the centre with concierge parking.
    If you do need to stay outside the centre then hotel football is an experience & right next to Old Trafford and you can use Uber to get around in Manc very easily anytime day or night.
    Last edited by paulpsz008; 17th May 2019 at 16:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We’ve just booked to stay at Hotel Football for ease. Think we’ll book Hawksmoor as the other two are keen to try it (I’ve been to the seven dials a couple of times and had fantastic food). Will try Spinningfields/ Brewdog and 20 stories (if it’s okay just going for drinks).

Shame you’re a week late getting to hawksmoor. What a great cockup that lucky buggar had...although I doubt I would have ordered a 250quid bottle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-48294870

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

There's loads to recommend in Manchester but you'll have a fine night with what you have planned.

A couple of other people have already recommended Tattu and it is bloody good but it's not a 'steakhouse' (although I have had a superb fillet steak dish in there)

If anyone does go to Haskwmoor, get the potted beef and bacon starter. It's amazing. A small pot of rich potted beef and bacon served with two huge Yorkshire puddings and a jug of hot onion gravy. Break a piece of Yorkie off, smear in the potted beef and then drench in gravy!!!

May I suggest a short taxi ride to the Marble Arch Inn on Rochdale Road? It’s the best pub in Manchester (IMHO). Cracking food and beer. I recommend several pints of Manchester Bitter - it’s a modern interpretation of 1970’s Boddingtons, or so the ex-Head Brewer once told me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    May I suggest a short taxi ride to the Marble Arch Inn on Rochdale Road? It’s the best pub in Manchester (IMHO). Cracking food and beer. I recommend several pints of Manchester Bitter - it’s a modern interpretation of 1970’s Boddingtons, or so the ex-Head Brewer once told me.
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Seconded!
    Thirded (although I don't understand why a taxi might be needed - apart from anything else it might get in the way of a sneaky half in Bar Fringe and the Angel on the way).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    The best Chinese in Manchester is the Tai Pan , Upper Brook st ..about a mile from the centre . I’ve been Hong Kong and not found one to beat it. The NQ has loads of bars .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

went to Manchester in February and did not plan where to eat - in four days there can't say I ate anywhere bad - all good so just go for it....

of particular interest though was -

Chinese Hot Pot Restaurant Manchester called One Plus - (had been meaning to try that type of eatery - didn't disappoint)

V-Rev - 100% vegan... and 100% american diner type food - really very good indeed - zero cruelty food...

Master
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. We had a fantastic time. Did Hawksmoor (had the excellent Yorkshire’s), quite a few bars including 20 stories and Albert Schloss. Manchester did not disappoint, it was a fantastic evening.

Today my mate played 2 20 minute games at Old Trafford for charity and was managed by Dennis Irwin and Wes Brown, who we’re both good to meet - he got some stick from the compère as he’s a Leeds fan, but Dennis played for a Leeds anyway.

All in all brilliant.