closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: No way did this sell for that on eBay (surely not)...

No way did this sell for that on eBay (surely not)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT...p2047675.l2557

So I was watching this on eBay and have to say if ever there was a sale that brought home the ridiculous state the Rolex market is in then this is it, fair play to the seller for getting this much...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It’s absolutely banana’s!

And don’t call me Shirley........

Journeyman
    WOW....... madness pure MADNESS 🤯🤯🤯

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not entirely surprised to be honest, but yes it’s ridiculous.

Craftsman
    If he gets paid. All the bidders were low feedback

Master
    Blog Entries
    Likely it did. The one a trusted seller in the US had sold for similar.

Pepsi sells for this.... older blnr of which there are tons of sells for not a lot less so it follows the latest release would be 16+

Until the balance of supply/demand moves this is the new norm for hot ss. Even PM prices are above rrp, crazy

The price is crazy but what amazes me more is that anyone would buy anything of that value on eBay!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's not even a Batman

Master
    I take these sales with a large pinch of salt but I echo the crazy market sentiments. I genuinely wonder how many original buyers of the super hot Rolex ss models keep them >6 months (weeks?) or just churn them over to profit on the next one. Who wouldn't if you could?

It's a brave (foolish) person who pays for that - by bank transfer!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I take these sales with a large pinch of salt but I echo the crazy market sentiments. I genuinely wonder how many original buyers of the super hot Rolex ss models keep them >6 months (weeks?) or just churn them over to profit on the next one. Who wouldn't if you could?
    There is nothing wrong with churning them out to make a profit, that way the watches find their true market value. What Rolex don't want is a return to the days when someone just walked into a shop and quickly asked for a discount. That is the quickest way to devalue a brand.

You can buy a watch from £10.00 up to several thousands, so everyone can buy something, however the message is now being firmly sent out that if you want a Rolex, you need the money to get the honey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    There is nothing wrong with churning them out to make a profit, that way the watches find their true market value. What Rolex don't want is a return to the days when someone just walked into a shop and quickly asked for a discount. That is the quickest way to devalue a brand.

You can buy a watch from £10.00 up to several thousands, so everyone can buy something, however the message is now being firmly sent out that if you want a Rolex, you need the money to get the honey.
    Even if I had that money to spend on a watch there is no way I would spend that much over list no matter how much I liked it....and I do wonder about the people who do.

Master
    There is nothing wrong with churning them out to make a profit, that way the watches find their true market value
    I think many would prefer that it wasn't the secondary market that was doing the churning for a profit. Anyone buying and selling the very hot models is potentially trading from a tax perspective and are they any different to those buying tickets for high profile concerts, matches etc and reselling for many times face value?
    My comments refer to people who are essentially dealing in new Rolex, not folk who happen to have had their name come up for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think many would prefer that it wasn't the secondary market that was doing the churning for a profit. Anyone buying and selling the very hot models is potentially trading from a tax perspective and are they any different to those buying tickets for high profile concerts, matches etc and reselling for many times face value?
    My comments refer to people who are essentially dealing in new Rolex, not folk who happen to have had their name come up for one.
    The true value of anything is the market value, nothing else counts. RRP is just a figure.

Master
    The true value of anything is the market value, nothing else counts. RRP is just a figure.
    Which isn't the point but never mind

Master
    Well, 8 days on from the end of the auction and no feedback left from the buyer.

Winner had 33 positive feedback record so presumably not just someone messing about - but maybe got cold feet when he realised what he'd bid!

No way did this sell for that on eBay (surely not)...

Shill bidded perhaps???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There seems to be great many sales on eBay now where feedback never happens, in the last three months I’ve had maybe 10% of sales get feedback, I used to ask for it to be left so I knew the item had been delivered and all was well, but now nobody makes the effort.
    Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it, be it a Rolex, Ferrari, or concert tickets, doesn’t seem right but hey, that’s market forces.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    There seems to be great many sales on eBay now where feedback never happens, in the last three months I’ve had maybe 10% of sales get feedback, I used to ask for it to be left so I knew the item had been delivered and all was well, but now nobody makes the effort.
    Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it, be it a Rolex, Ferrari, or concert tickets, doesn’t seem right but hey, that’s market forces.
    Yup. Whether the purchaser would ever get his money back if he has paid £16,100, who knows?! WF don't have one at the moment, interestingly.

Craftsman
    If the greys are selling it at 18k than 16k is not a bad deal for the purchaser.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-ROLE...oAAOSwDvxc3FUG

One up at £18k now from a dealer , few more from the States even dearer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT...p2047675.l2557

So I was watching this on eBay and have to say if ever there was a sale that brought home the ridiculous state the Rolex market is in then this is it, fair play to the seller for getting this much...
    Seems appropriate that the style is listed as “cartoon/novelty”

Craftsman
    Crazy indeed but also I be interested if he actually gets paid! There are a bunch of people who bet on winning auctions on eBay and when they win, they never respond to contacts or pay. Ask me how I know!

Craftsman
    Who is buying these at inflated prices?

A. Speculators and Investors
    B. Latest thing at all costs folk
    C. Genuine enthusiasts unable to get on “the list”
    D. ??

I suspect A, then selling to B,

Craftsman
    Hmmm, this or a very nice 1675/16750 🤔. I know what I would rather have but horses for courses.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post

D. ??

D. Being a “genuine enthusiast “ who sells to B ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post

D. ??

Spoke to an independent watch dealer last week and he says that 90% of his 6-digit Rolex sales go to 'Generation Instagram' customers. They know nothing about the watch other than that it is rare and expensive and that is good enough for them as a reason to buy.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Spoke to an independent watch dealer last week and he says that 90% of his 6-digit Rolex sales go to 'Generation Instagram' customers. They know nothing about the watch other than that it is rare and expensive and that is good enough for them as a reason to buy.
    i am not suprised, afterall Rolex was always advertised as luxury

Craftsman
    Crazy. Absolutely crazy

Craftsman
    I put this one on another thread, totally bananas. I’m surprised that WF haven’t got any yet or maybe they are just waiting to see where the market goes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The price is crazy but what amazes me more is that anyone would buy anything of that value on eBay!
    why not?
    cars are sold on ebay, and the website offers buyer protection if something goes wrong. I really see zero downside to it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch10 View Post
    why not?
    cars are sold on ebay, and the website offers buyer protection if something goes wrong. I really see zero downside to it.
    PayPal is all good until the buyer then says...use as appropriate.

I didn’t get the item, the item is a fake, the item is damaged, the box was empty bla bla bla

Then Boom your PayPal balance is minus 16k

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    PayPal is all good until the buyer then says...use as appropriate.

I didn’t get the item, the item is a fake, the item is damaged, the box was empty bla bla bla

Then Boom your PayPal balance is minus 16k
    sure, but as a buyer, why do you care?
    and as a seller, if you provide the necessary evidence you will be not ruled against. For 16k I would surely make a packaging video, send recorded and fully insure it, and provide of all of that to ebay/paypal if asked.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What’s wrong with that?

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Shill bidded perhaps???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.

Off to pick mine up this afternoon from a bricks and mortar AD in my local town. It is coming from the same AD that got me my blue dialled stainless steel SkyDweller. He reckons he is going to get one more this year.

Craftsman
    Sold a few things on eBay recently, ( not watches ) , I insist on the high value items being paid by bank transfer upon collection.

I make the terms of business absolutely clear , if you don’t accept the terms then don’t bid.

Works for me.

Journeyman
    I suppose if you can get it sold on a forum for a bank transfer, that's ideal!

Journeyman
    wow, risky

Mine's arrived (picked up yesterday). Stunning watch. AD is keeping the card for a year (not bothered about that as I've no plans to flip any watches and destroy our good relationship), but it isn't going to get any wrist time soon what with all the Omega Speedmaster love that is around at the moment.

Rolex are missing a trick here, people are willing to pay this kind of money for the watch, Rolex should up just the RRP massively. They will still sell out and make more themselves

Master
    There's your answer! No it didn't sell for that!!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/jewellery/...an-/1341082034

"Watch sold on eBay for £16,200 but buyer didn’t have funds."

He’s even bumped that price up! Bidding reached £16,100, not £16,200.

Wonder why he didn't use the "second chance" option (or whatever it's called) to sell to the next highest bidder?

Apprentice

batman

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    i have the same, people buy from ebay catawiki and such without hesitation, shoot me!

Journeyman
    Something to consider is that when selling high value watches on eBay and stipulating collect in person you are then going to give your address out to some randomer who has no intention of buying the watch but now knows where he can acquire at least one and possibly more of your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Mine's arrived (picked up yesterday). Stunning watch. AD is keeping the card for a year (not bothered about that as I've no plans to flip any watches and destroy our good relationship), but it isn't going to get any wrist time soon what with all the Omega Speedmaster love that is around at the moment.

Why do they keep the card & why would they care if you sell it?

It looks very nice btw!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Why do they keep the card & why would they care if you sell it?

It looks very nice btw!
    Many posts on this very topic to read at your leisure.