closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Citizen vs Seiko divers

Citizen vs Seiko divers

I was looking at the Seiko SKX007 and saw that Citizen also do a nice divers watch in the shape of the Promaster (the ref is BN0150-28E).

Having never owned a Citizen before, how does it compare with the Seiko in terms of build quality, reliability, fit, etc? Is the Eco-Drive movement pretty good or is it better to stick with a mechanical movement?

Master
    Can't really go wrong with either.

If you're fussy about accuracy, get the citizen, as SKX's can be 30s or more out per day.

I love the jubilee on the skx. Superbly comfortable.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

7s26 isn’t a particularly accurate movement, and the SKX has well-documented QC issues with chapter ring alignment and in my experience day-date alignment. The SKX crown action is also sometimes rough. Depends if you get a good instance of the SKX or not. I’d lean to the Citizen, but the SKX gets more love on forums.

I can't comment on the Citizen mentioned in the OP however I have an NY0040 and I'd rate that over SKX models that I've owned, part of that is down to the movement in the Citizen being able to hack and hind wind and part down to what I perceive to be marginally better build quality.

If it were me choosing between the two I'd go Citizen, though there's a reason that the SKX models are popular. They're characterful workhorses, even if they're not the last word in refinement.

I couldn't fault the Citizen diver eco-drive I had, as a grab and go diver it was perfect, I still have an auto Seiko diver which luckily is a good timekeeper, I only see the Seiko as a keeper due to it's unusual case style.
    Mechanical vs eco, well hard to say as at some point both will undoubtedly require maintenance,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have the Citizen model. It's a wonderful watch, build, comfort and perceived quality is extraordinary for the money. My only small gripe is that the movement is rather noisy compared to other auto's, not a big deal but if you move your arm close to your ear you will notice it.

Mine will be up for grabs soon as I have just agreed a purchase on an Omega SMP 2264.50; my first high end divers watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have the Citizen model. It's a wonderful watch, build, comfort and perceived quality is extraordinary for the money. My only small gripe is that the movement is rather noisy compared to other auto's, not a big deal but if you move your arm close to your ear you will notice it.

Mine will be up for grabs soon as I have just agreed a purchase on an Omega SMP 2264.50; my first high end divers watch.
    Op isn't looking at a Citizen auto; it's Eco-drive.

After years owning SKX models and a few Eco-drive's and Citizen quartz it was getting my hands on an Citizen NY0040 that decided me and I would now say Citizen make the better watch.

The movement doesn't hack as stated above but it does hand wind, and it has been +5 secs per day compared to my SKX's -25 secs.

I know the 7s can be regulated but why should you have to? That said, I still like it.

Anyway, the Citizen just seem a step above when it comes to budget divers.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Op isn't looking at a Citizen auto; it's Eco-drive.

Apologies, on a quick look it looked identical to the Auto model. I guess build and quality will still be great and I really liked my Eco Tough with the Eco-drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had many divers from both brands (SKX and MM from Seiko mainly).
    I have set my choice finally to an icon and a watch that has been my grab and go for travel and diving since a couple of years now: Citizen Pro Master JP2000
    still available on Amazon for +/- €360

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

The movement doesn't hack as stated above...

My mistake, you are indeed correct!

Slight thread drift - which bracelet have you paired with it? Considering one for mine.

Master
    My partner has a cheap (£100) ladies eco-drive Citizen, rated at 10atm. In no way a ‘divers’ watch. Yet it has survived a full cycle in the washing machine (don’t ask) and is used for swimming and pool diving almost every day. Two years on, never a glitch. Hasn’t even got a screw-down crown, but it shrugs off immersion in water. She trusts it more than her Rolex OP.
    I have an eco drive rated at 30atm. Trust it completely. These are fine watches, possibly under-estimated. Much tougher than any mechanical design too.

Master
    I do think citizen have higher QC than Seiko. I've had about 6 citizens and all have performed perfectly and always hit the second marks, if quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    My mistake, you are indeed correct!

Slight thread drift - which bracelet have you paired with it? Considering one for mine.
    I got it from an eBay seller in the US. It arrived quickly but I did have to pay a fee of about £13, £7 of which was Royal Mail's admin fee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mm-CURV...72.m2749.l2649

Thansk for all the views, guys. I'm swaying towards the Promaster - I'm just not sure about the size at 43m....it may be just a bit too large.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I do think citizen have higher QC than Seiko. I've had about 6 citizens and all have performed perfectly and always hit the second marks, if quartz.

I'd agree with this plus I like eco drive better than Seiko's (basic) quartz efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Thansk for all the views, guys. I'm swaying towards the Promaster - I'm just not sure about the size at 43m....it may be just a bit too large.
    The BN0150 wears smaller due to the case shape. I'd get the Citizen over the Seiko if you want more practicality and less faff. The Seiko has more personality though, and is "cooler" in my opinion.
    Both watches could fit in a collection though.
    I have a Citizen, and a modded Seiko 007.
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 13th May 2019 at 17:01.

Both watches are really nice, but the Seiko is quite a bit more expensive isn't it?

What size is your wrist? The BN0150-28E is 42/43mm which might for me be ok if the lugs are short. I find the lug to lug length more important than the actual diameter of the watch sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The BN0150 wears smaller due to the case shape. I'd get the Citizen over the Seiko if you want more practicality and less faff. The Seiko has more personality though, and is "cooler" in my opinion.
    Both watches could fit in a collection though.
    I have a Citizen, and a modded Seiko 007.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know an independent that can service a 20 year old Citizen pro master depth gauge model as Citizen has said that can’t anymore?

Cheers,
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I got it from an eBay seller in the US. It arrived quickly but I did have to pay a fee of about £13, £7 of which was Royal Mail's admin fee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mm-CURV...72.m2749.l2649
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Both watches are really nice, but the Seiko is quite a bit more expensive isn't it?

What size is your wrist? The BN0150-28E is 42/43mm which might for me be ok if the lugs are short. I find the lug to lug length more important than the actual diameter of the watch sometimes.
    Wrist size is about 7.25 but fairly oval which allows me to get away with a wide range of sizes.

Master
    For whatever reason, Seiko seems to get far more attention, and affection, at least among the WIS community, than Citizen. Arguably they have the edge in terms of design but Citizen seem to have none of the QC issues that plague Seiko and, imo, offer better VFM. My wife's very delicate Eco-drive, which she treats as a beater, has provided flawless service for the last few years and is accurate to a couple of secs a month.

I'd guess the BN0151-09L Eco-drive diver is pretty much unbeatable VFM or, if the OP wants something a little more upmarket, the BN0191-55L.