closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Minipresso -anyone tried one?

Blog Entries

Minipresso -anyone tried one?

I was listening to R4 this morning and heard that article about how terrible disposable coffee cups were for the environment, so, conscience pricked I went to look at alternatives to my drive through coffee

This came up...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minipresso-...rds=minipresso

I didn’t get on with Aeropress and don’t object to Nespresso capsules, so, thought it might be a nice solution?

Anybody tried this or if could suggest any other no faff options, although nothing electrical (PAT testing)

Ta
    Ben

I've heard mixed results ben. What about an old fashioned thermos? Eeeeee i remember when it were all green fields around here lad
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    My drive through coffee was in the mornings on the way to work I bought a fancy all in one coffee machine (melitta) and a good travel mug this is what I use now way better coffee and in the long run will cost less. I have an aeropress or an oomph for use in work but it’s too much hassle in the morning so this thing I press 2 buttons and whilst I’m tying my shoes etc it’s ready.

This is my machine

https://www.beantocupcoffeemachines....eo-barista-ts/
    Last edited by bootneck; 5th January 2018 at 22:13.

I take a reusable coffee cup into the shop with me.
    Costa even knock 25p off per cup

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I was listening to R4 this morning and heard that article about how terrible disposable coffee cups were for the environment, so, conscience pricked I went to look at alternatives to my drive through coffee

This came up...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minipresso-...rds=minipresso

I didn’t get on with Aeropress and don’t object to Nespresso capsules, so, thought it might be a nice solution?

Anybody tried this or if could suggest any other no faff options, although nothing electrical (PAT testing)

Ta
    Ben
    It’s a fun bit of man-kit for a half-decent espresso. Run it through with hot water before you put a capsule in so that your coffee doesn’t arrive lukewarm.

Also, try a Keepcup or any reusable cup and get coffee shops to fill that rather than a paper cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How are nespresso capsules better for the environment than paper cups?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Very good point

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    A very valid point. There are recycling routes for the capsules, but a bit of a palaver. I suspect they are both as bad and it’s the shear quantity of un-recycled paper cups that is the bigger problem.

Anyway I’m not really called Billy Casper, my real name is George Clooney.

Coffee cups aren't just paper. Most of them are plastic coated which makes them a bugger to recycle

I had a Minipresso and ended up throwing it out.

It's a clever idea, and it does make a nice espresso with a creamy top. However, it uses such a small amount of boiling water you can't stop it cooling down as the heat leaches into the machine. Even pre-filling it and soaking all of the component parts in separate bowls of boiling water first, the espresso that comes out needs to be drunk immediately. If you even think about rinsing the machine before drinking, your espresso is cold. It's also a massive faff to clean. If you have 2 people who want an espresso, the first cup will be stone cold by the time you've rinsed, prepped, pre-heated and filled the machine for a second cup.

I think it's a good idea if you absolutely need an (as in a single) espresso when camping, and don't mind it being warm/cold (outdoors the drink is cold even faster). But an aeropress or Bialetti pot is a much more practical alternative.

I was really disappointed with mine, seemed like an awsome idea. Like I said I binned it, I had too much of a conscience to sell it on the forum and stitch someone up.

As said above, have you considered a keepcup?

https://uk.keepcup.com/?country=United%20Kingdom#

Maybe not the most practical for drive through though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've heard mixed results ben. What about an old fashioned thermos? Eeeeee i remember when it were all green fields around here lad
    Mmmhh…. An option I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    It’s a fun bit of man-kit for a half-decent espresso. Run it through with hot water before you put a capsule in so that your coffee doesn’t arrive lukewarm.

Also, try a Keepcup or any reusable cup and get coffee shops to fill that rather than a paper cup.

Encouraging

Coffee cups aren't just paper. Most of them are plastic coated which makes them a bugger to recycle
    I try to recycle my nespresso thingies

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    I had a Minipresso and ended up throwing it out.

It's a clever idea, and it does make a nice espresso with a creamy top. However, it uses such a small amount of boiling water you can't stop it cooling down as the heat leaches into the machine. Even pre-filling it and soaking all of the component parts in separate bowls of boiling water first, the espresso that comes out needs to be drunk immediately. If you even think about rinsing the machine before drinking, your espresso is cold. It's also a massive faff to clean. If you have 2 people who want an espresso, the first cup will be stone cold by the time you've rinsed, prepped, pre-heated and filled the machine for a second cup.

I think it's a good idea if you absolutely need an (as in a single) espresso when camping, and don't mind it being warm/cold (outdoors the drink is cold even faster). But an aeropress or Bialetti pot is a much more practical alternative.

I was really disappointed with mine, seemed like an awsome idea. Like I said I binned it, I had too much of a conscience to sell it on the forum and stitch someone up.
    Less encouraging and what I feared…

Non electric coffee…. Simple to make at work…. Where do I turn?!

Theee needs to be a canny inventor out there somewhere?

Mmmhh…. An option I suppose!

I try to recycle my nespresso thingies

Less encouraging and what I feared…

Non electric coffee…. Simple to make at work…. Where do I turn?!

Theee needs to be a canny inventor out there somewhere?
    What don't you like about the aeropress ben??

Blog Entries
    What don't you like about the aeropress ben??
    I thought it was a huge faff and I never got a reasonable coffee out of it…. Maybe I was missing a trick/ didn’t read the instructions

I gave it away to someone(can’t remember who) on here

I thought it was a huge faff and I never got a reasonable coffee out of it…. Maybe I was missing a trick/ didn’t read the instructions

I gave it away to someone(can’t remember who) on here
    Seriously can't understand how you can't get a decent coffee out of it.
    It's not a faff either once you're used to it.
    Maybe you should stick to green tea?

Blog Entries
    Seriously can't understand how you can't get a decent coffee out of it.
    It's not a faff either once you're used to it.
    Maybe you should stick to green tea?
    How did you know I drink green tea?

I drink pukka tea by the gallon (5 or 6 a day)

Clean green
    Chamomile and manuka honey
    Detox
    Ginger and lemon

I like one or two coffees in the morning and I like it to taste reasonable! I can’t fathom what I got wrong with the aeropress…. It gets many good reviews

Because your name is ben and you support the foxes. Plus I've been stalking you for six weeks. Don't shop at aldi anymore, it doesn't suit you.

I like one or two coffees in the morning and I like it to taste reasonable! I can’t fathom what I got wrong with the aeropress…. It gets many good reviews
    You're not using instant in it are you?

I drink pukka tea by the gallon (5 or 6 a day)

Clean green
    Chamomile and manuka honey
    Detox
    Ginger and lemon

The minipresso does make quite a nice espresso at a reasonable price, it you drink it straight away.

If you like loose tea, my favourite is Moroccan mint, then some at work have these to keep themselves going. I’m thinking of getting one.

http://www.t2tea.com/en/uk/teawares/...45_color=Black

(Ginger, camomile, liquorice teas with manuka and slippery elm bark cured my chronic acid reflux, I suspect partially caused by all the coffee I drank).

Last edited by BillyCasper; 5th January 2018 at 23:37.

Blog Entries
    Because your name is ben and you support the foxes. Plus I've been stalking you for six weeks. Don't shop at aldi anymore, it doesn't suit you.

You're not using instant in it are you?
    I’ve changed my team to Norwich Utd now... The Foxes are sooo last year

But Aldi do such great cat food (if only I had a cat 🤔)

Instant? So, that’s where I was going wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The minipresso does make quite a nice espresso at a reasonable price, it you drink it straight away.

If you like loose tea, my favourite is Moroccan mint, then some at work have these to keep themselves going. I’m thinking of getting one.

http://www.t2tea.com/en/uk/teawares/...45_color=Black

(Ginger, camomile, liquorice teas with manuka and slippery elm bark cured my chronic acid reflux, I suspect partially caused by all the coffee I drank).

Minipresso should do a try before you buy! I can always flog if it’s not for me, but, £50 is a relatively expensive punt

I’ve shopped at T2 and they do some nice cold brew stuff... Let me know how you get on with the tea thing

Tea cures everything and is all I’m drinking at the moment... I’m following the herd and having a couple of weeks off the sauce

Assuming that you have a kettle at work to make tea etc then that is covered by the work electric safety checks so why not use a cafetiere? No electricity and pretty easy to rinse out. Unless you are looking for an espresso.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imb1 View Post
    Assuming that you have a kettle at work to make tea etc then that is covered by the work electric safety checks so why not use a cafetiere? No electricity and pretty easy to rinse out. Unless you are looking for an espresso.
    I genuinely hadn’t thought of that! Any that you’d recommend?

Master
    Also have a look at the oomph very similar to areopress without the need for filters or a cup kind of like a travel cup and areopress have been at it in the store room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely hadn’t thought of that! Any that you’d recommend?
    Apart from the cheap crap ones
    They are all much of muchness really
    Although Glass ones break
    Get a stellar stainless steel, twin wall insulation.
    £££ if you want to treat yourself but you will have friend for life

Stellar /horwood make the best stove top espresso makers as well. Solid, high quality stainless, British firm, great after sales bla bla bla

Hello

Dear all,

Check out The Oomph.

It’s a dodgy name but a superb product!

https://the-oomph.com/

It’s as good if not better than the Aeropress.

Best regards,

Ben

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Also have a look at the oomph very similar to areopress without the need for filters or a cup kind of like a travel cup and areopress have been at it in the store room

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Dear all,

Check out The Oomph.

It’s a dodgy name but a superb product!

https://the-oomph.com/

It’s as good if not better than the Aeropress.

Best regards,

Ben
    Worth noting...

Apart from the cheap crap ones
    They are all much of muchness really
    Although Glass ones break
    Get a stellar stainless steel, twin wall insulation.
    £££ if you want to treat yourself but you will have friend for life

Stellar /horwood make the best stove top espresso makers as well. Solid, high quality stainless, British firm, great after sales bla bla bla
    Might start with a cheepo one and see how I get on... I’ve also been thinking about a flask, but, I hate the plasticy taste it transfers to coffee.... yuk

Steel flask, and just use it for coffee and you should be alright

Blog Entries
    Steel flask, and just use it for coffee and you should be alright
    Right... £8.25... a couple of espresso shots in the morning is quicker than pulling into a drive through and cheaper and better for the envoronment!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273013484122

I will try this and if it works great... otherwise I shall try funkier options

Thanks for all the posts everyone...

Ps... if it works out I may get one for my football Bovril!

Master
    Right... £8.25... a couple of espresso shots in the morning is quicker than pulling into a drive through and cheaper and better for the envoronment!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273013484122

I will try this and if it works great... otherwise I shall try funkier options

Thanks for all the posts everyone...

Ps... if it works out I may get one for my football Bovril!
    Fair play,
    I bought 2 decent travel mugs (well more than 2 but I use 2 every day) and the mellita coffee machine linked to above. The machine has a x2 button so I press that and it does 2 of my coffee of choice (you can set it up to your preferred taste) into a jug which I then split between the two travel mugs which see me through my comute and the first 20 minutes in work. Total outlay around £900 so not cheap but I was spending at least £3 6 days a week for coffee that wasn't as good, so after man maths is applied after one year it's free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Fair play,
    I bought 2 decent travel mugs (well more than 2 but I use 2 every day) and the mellita coffee machine linked to above. The machine has a x2 button so I press that and it does 2 of my coffee of choice (you can set it up to your preferred taste) into a jug which I then split between the two travel mugs which see me through my comute and the first 20 minutes in work. Total outlay around £900 so not cheap but I was spending at least £3 6 days a week for coffee that wasn't as good, so after man maths is applied after one year it's free.

You’ve got to love a bit man Maths! I had the Delonghi bean to cup and it was my favourite appliance for years and years, but, when I stopped working from home and I simply didn’t use it enough to justify keeping it, so, went down the nespresso route which is ok, but, clearly not as good

I have one of these too and can definitely recommend it. ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    I have one of these too and can definitely recommend it. ;)
    Sweet….

My wife and I use these with our nespresso machine. If you’re super keen you can fill with hot water from the kettle when you first wake up so it heats the cup and then chuck it out before making your coffee in it.

Blog Entries
    Feck you two crack me up reading this..... Dave is a good crack Ben and having chatted with ya on the blower you would love 'im.

Getting you two round for a pizza, green tea and the serious maize shite would be a hoot.

Seen the result in the FA cup tonight Ben????

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Feck you two crack me up reading this..... Dave is a good crack Ben and having chatted with ya on the blower you would love 'im.

Getting you two round for a pizza, green tea and the serious maize shite would be a hoot.

Seen the result in the FA cup tonight Ben????

Paul
    It’s a date…. I’ll bring chilli heat wave Doritos

And yes 🤦*♂️

Apprentice

i have bought from this shop https://www.thecoffeemate.co.uk/c/co...nes/nespresso/ . It was kind of new thing for me, but im happy about my Handpresso. It has already paied off, because every morning before work i used to buy double espresso and now i can make it by myself. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lad at work has one, fecks around with it out of his manbag. I wouldn't mind but we have a nespresso machine in the brew area.

Just get a decent cup, lifeventure are good and cheap but not fancy. I have a clean canteen with a v2 coffee cap and its brilliant. The local coffee gaff swears by huskee cups if you just want to solve the environmental cup problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cofeina View Post
    i have bought from this shop https://www.thecoffeemate.co.uk/c/co...nes/nespresso/ . It was kind of new thing for me, but im happy about my Handpresso. It has already paied off, because every morning before work i used to buy double espresso and now i can make it by myself. :)
    £160? Blimey

Ended up going down the flask route and works just fine for me

Master
    I got one as a gift. I take it out with me on the motorbike if i'm out for the day. Does make a nice cup, but like others have said it's a bit of a faff to clean and the coffee can get a bit cold if you don't drink it quickly.