closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to call it a day.......

Grand Master

Time to call it a day.......

Time for me to quit this forum, if not permanantly at least for a good while.

Alongside a few other lifestyle changes I’ve taken the decision to cease activity on here. No point in banging on about my reasons, but it certainly isn’t the place it used to be. There’s a toxic undercurrent of unpleasantness that breaks the surface all too often, too many folks who don’t like each other pursuing their petty quabbles, it’s all too easy to get dragged down into the mire and I’ve been guilty of that on occassion......if you play in the pig-pen you end up smelling of shit yourself.

As for the repair jobs, I shall honour all committments made and I’m happy to continue working for all those with whom I’ve made agreements.

If anyone wishes to contact me by PM for advice I’ll continue to help if I can, I’ll get prompts by e-mail to pick these up.

Finally, here’s a challenge to everyone. Stop adding comments to the bloody Bear Pit, let that cesspool die a death. Forum would become a far better place. I won’t name nanes but y’all know who you are!

Adios Amigos

Sad day but I think a few people are feeling this way. Fully grown men arguing like teenage girls.

All the best.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    +1^

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think I can totally understand your position, I’m not a long standing member and a lot of the bickering goes over my head as I have no idea of the historical ‘beef’ that’s behind a lot of it all or the internet personas those people are trying to cultivate.
    But I have to say that this is the only ‘hobby/pastime forum’ I visit with a sordid underbelly of patriarchal, sexist, racist and Neanderthal bullcrap. I just try to avoid much engagement there and stick to enjoying the mine of information from members on horological matters and a few other topics.

Hopefully you will be back after a break.

Yeah, I get it. I find my enjoyment of the forum has increased by avoiding the Pit and posting less... which completely defeats the point of a forum, but hey, there it is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear this, it's a shame but I think I understand why. Don't leave for too long - life moves in cycles,...

It can all be avoided if you only read Watch Talk and G&D.

Sorry to hear you are leaving Paul. I for one always enjoyed your contributions on the forum. All the best.

Master
    It’s a real shame when long-standing members feel the need to move out. I generally only inhabit G & D so don’t get involved in bickering, but keyboard warriors seem to invade all forums. Best to remain on the fringes imho.

Very true, I read more than post these days for similar reasons. I'll miss your sensible input. Enjoy the break!

Shame Paul always read your posts with interest.
    I know how you’re feeling....

It’s a shame that you feel this way. Your posts were always informative and worth reading. It was also a pleasure to meet you at the recent Manchester get together.

Hopefully, at some point you’ll be back.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry to read this Paul but I know exactly how you feel and understand your reasoning. I barely contribute these days for the same reasons as yourself, although I actively avoid the bear pit.

This used to be a forum where like minded individuals shared their passion and knowledge. However genuinely insightful and/or helpful threads are conspicuous by their absence these days, which is a great shame.

I often wonder if this new style of aggressive posting is caused by the massively increased prices of watches over the last ten years or so. Maybe people are getting increasingly defensive having spent an awful lot of money on a mainstream watch.

Anyway enough of my musings, enjoy the extra time not spent here and all the best.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    It can all be avoided if you only read Watch Talk and G&D.
    It used to be, but like Paul said its a current that sometimes forces its way to the surface in G+D and Watch Talk. Its sad to see what I assume are grown men squabbling like school children.

A shame to see you feel the need to remove yourself from it all Paul, but in all honesty I get where you're coming from. Be well!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I stopped looking at the Bear Pit a few months ago and find the forum a far better experience now.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to read this Paul! If you want, PM your email address so that we can keep in touch like sending classic car related pics!

Menno

I've not been a member long but have enjoyed and appreciated your knowledgeable posts. They were the kind of thing which I joined this forum for.

Blog Entries
    I rarely look at the BP. Even less comment there. I understand though where you are coming from Paul as personal abuse seems to have spread to WT and SC. Why people comment on a SC post unless they want to buy is a puzzle - but I have slipped into doing so a few times.

I know british humour is based on sarcasm so I hope I haven’t offended (too much). Also there is the ignore list - but unfortunately more have been added recently - which is a sign of the times.

Don’t forget though Paul - you can check out , but never leave.

Martyn.

I hope this doesn’t mean you miss the late summer McrGTG.....you owe me a pint! (possibly)

How’s my cheapie watch coming along?

Sorry to hear you are taking a break. I have always found your posts informative.

It will be a real shame to lose your input, maybe just try and post on subjects that interest you and keep it positive, this way it’s harder for someone to have a dig and get the hackles up and you don’t need to spend as much time here..

I for one am very grateful for the service you done on a old Omega that is now gone, I know you went above and beyond and it came back perfect.

Hopefully it’s not permanent but best of luck in the future

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ................I know british humour is based on sarcasm..............

Agreed, sarcasm and light-hearted banter is central to the humour that runs through the forum, and long may it continue! This place is still populated in the main by good eggs IMO.

However, what is written by some in the 'pit' and other places (usually by the same little group of individuals) is not sarcasm or wit, it's venom and bile, and often little short of pathetic. Like little yapping puppies desperate for attention, the authors are best ignored, as difficult as that can be at times.

@Paul,

all the best whatever you decide long term.

Sad news Paul....it is unpleasant on here I agree. Shame when such a wealth of knowledge is lost on here...hopefully an extended break. If it is still ok, I shall drop you a line regarding the work discussed after your summer break.
    Maybe August?
    Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s took me nigh on 10 year to post under 250 posts due to the fact I’ve personally always found the site like you describe
    I’ve found it very clicky and a few members go around in a gang like a pack of wolves
    It’s a shame as I always found Paul to be one of the good guys

Blog Entries
    Been a member/contributor for a week or two and whilst i agree that the BP and Sales forum have attracted members who are at best toxic i look at them like the new adverts i just avoid them and pick out what i want and move on.
    To Paul your choice but maybe a rethink and reappraisal of your forum choices?

Enjoy your break, Paul. It would be nice to see you drop into Watch Talk from time to time in the future.

Whilst there are some threads that I avoid in the Bear Pit and some particularly unpleasant members judiciously on ignore, I appreciate the rest of the forum being free of swearing, politics and religion. I also like having somewhere to let off steam and have a rant, catch up on Gyp's domestic news or post something a bit more personal that isn't in quite as public a place.

Almost every large community has obnoxious characters with extreme views, the pompous and self-centred who say too much without thinking first and complete idiots - and those who demonstrate that these are not mutually exclusive traits - but the vast majority here are really pretty decent and very supportive. For me the pros still outweigh the cons by a fair measure.

ATB Matthew

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    It’s a real shame when long-standing members feel the need to move out. I generally only inhabit G & D so don’t get involved in bickering, but keyboard warriors seem to invade all forums. Best to remain on the fringes imho.
    Not on TRF, that has strong mods and codes of behaviour that mean the usual Kardashian-ising crap of the internet is not allowed to grow there. And no surprise it has so many active members with 10K plus posts.

Well it'll be a loss and shame to lose your input Paul. I've enjoyed being well educated by your technically informed chat over the years.

Surely liberal application of the ignore functions and avoidance of the BP can lighten things..?

Either way, all the best to you and I'll be in touch no doubt over time for the next repair job!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Pm’d You Paul your box is full.

With luck you’ll log on and read it here instead.

I sincerely hope you’ll reconsider, this place will be much poorer without you.

Master
    Sorry to hear that Paul. Taking a break from online forums and in particular the ones which end up consuming a lot of time and generating negative feelings can be an extremely positive and necessary experience.. hope you find the same.

I also understand what you mean about toxicity in here - it amazes me how many seemingly harmless discussions end up turning into full on slanging matches about even the most ridiculous of topics. That sort of stuff is no good for anyone.

I too have enjoyed your posts many of which have helped me to understand very simple things.

A break for a while might be good but I’m hoping that you will hopefully come back.

Master
    Unfortunately it seems to be the way. The amount of unnecessary vitriolic thread interruptions is ridiculous. Enjoy your sabbatical and hopefully you’ll be back after a break.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Time for me to quit this forum, if not permanantly at least for a good while.

Alongside a few other lifestyle changes I’ve taken the decision to cease activity on here. No point in banging on about my reasons, but it certainly isn’t the place it used to be. There’s a toxic undercurrent of unpleasantness that breaks the surface all too often, too many folks who don’t like each other pursuing their petty quabbles, it’s all too easy to get dragged down into the mire and I’ve been guilty of that on occassion......if you play in the pig-pen you end up smelling of shit yourself.

As for the repair jobs, I shall honour all committments made and I’m happy to continue working for all those with whom I’ve made agreements.

If anyone wishes to contact me by PM for advice I’ll continue to help if I can, I’ll get prompts by e-mail to pick these up.

Finally, here’s a challenge to everyone. Stop adding comments to the bloody Bear Pit, let that cesspool die a death. Forum would become a far better place. I won’t name nanes but y’all know who you are!

Adios Amigos
    If you leave, they have won. It's as simple as that, so please reflect and come back, you are too good to lose because some bits of ruff have gotten under your skin.

Hi Paul, understood, take a break but come back. We have benefited from your knowledge and super repair work. I've always enjoyed reading your contributions and will miss you.
    Thanks.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Paul is one of the rocks of this watch forum. His ability to explain mechanisms, their functions and faults, give advice to other members and apply his skill with accuracy and humour is near legendary.
    His patience recently in dealing with the most disrespectful and shameful responses has been tested beyond the limit.
    He won't be the last member to leave if this forum does not change dramatically for the better or moderation is much more active. There will soon be no genuine watch enthusiasts or independent watchmakers left here to justify the forums existence.
    The few members who cause most of the disruption know who they are. They will not have won. They will have lost a valuable place where they could have learnt something useful. Those mostly decent members here who appreciate what this forum was set up for will be the real losers and may need to do much more to stop this mindless venom before it is too late.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sad to see you taking a sabbatical Paul, however once you leave it off for a while you probably won't return.

I've always enjoyed your interesting posts although to be honest I don't post as much as I used to now either.

Where watch talk used to be about the love of watches and some interesting technical stuff it seems to have morphed into just tales of how somebody went into a shop and bought something and whether it had bits of plastic on it or not.

All the best mate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Grand Master
    The forum will be much poorer without your input Paul, you have been a inspiration and a great help to me several times, and your knowledge and wit enrich this place. I for one will miss you and you still have a standing offer of a few pints 🍺 in Hull or in Leeds sometime!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    The forum will be much poorer without your input Paul, you have been an inspiration and a great help to me several times, and your knowledge and wit enrich this place. I for one will miss you and you still have a standing offer of a few pints 🍺 in Hull or in Leeds sometime!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    A sad loss to our community and a salutary warning as to what we may become if certain behaviours are tolerated. Come back Paul, we need you!

Sorry to hear this Paul.

I always enjoy reading your posts.

Master
    Don't let it get you down Paul, just stick to watch talk, it would be a shame to see you take a break never mind leave permanently, your an asset to this forum with your knowledge and advice.

Matt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

I'll echo what others have said Paul; stick around and just don't visit the Bear Pit. Your knowledge and the restorations you have performed, and have been shown on here, are outstanding and will be missed.

The Bear Pit is toxic to the forums and the behaviour of the same few every time spills into other forums; ignore them.

Craftsman
    That's a great shame, have always read your posts with enthusiasm in an effort to educate myself about movements and timekeeping. I don't need to read another post about the investment value of the latest Rolex.

I hope to read some new posts from you again and in the meantime I bid you all the best.

Looks like he can't keep away though ;-)

Reality check for the0 forum trolls. Get a life off line.
    Paul, hang around. Read but don't be tempted to write for a bit. Pm if you have strong feelings.
    I've only been on here for 4-5 years and have a lot to be appreciative to the forum in general for. The overall atmosphere and ethos seems to have shifted over the last 12 months.
    Maybe time to rein in the detractors. Rather than via moderation this is a responsibility for all forum members not to tolerate such childish and offensive behaviour.
    If members like Paul feel the need to leave, then it's a sad day.
    Self moderate like good old playground days.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    That's a great shame, have always read your posts with enthusiasm in an effort to educate myself about movements and timekeeping. I don't need to read another post about the investment value of the latest Rolex.

I hope to read some new posts from you again and in the meantime I bid you all the best.
    That about says it for me,I enjoy your posts and wish we had more of them from you and others with knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Reality check for the0 forum trolls. Get a life off line.
    Paul, hang around. Read but don't be tempted to write for a bit. Pm if you have strong feelings.
    I've only been on here for 4-5 years and have a lot to be appreciative to the forum in general for. The overall atmosphere and ethos seems to have shifted over the last 12 months.
    Maybe time to rein in the detractors. Rather than via moderation this is a responsibility for all forum members not to tolerate such childish and offensive behaviour.
    If members like Paul feel the need to leave, then it's a sad day.
    Self moderate like good old playground days.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It appears hes stropped off because of a post in H&V which imo was totally acceptable. A post in which he contributed to in an equal amount. If you have to strop off because you feel that way about someone's opinion then forums of any nature are not for you. Storm and teacup come to mind. He could have just left without saying anything.

Blog Entries
    It’s a shame that you feel you have to leave, but I genuinely hope you return soon.
    Ian.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I will personally miss your really informative posts, you know your stuff and are an asset to this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You know you'll be back; this place is like crack.... ;-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk