closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SD43 crown issue

Master

SD43 crown issue

Gulp. My SD43 - only lightly worn in a rotation, babied etc - has suddenly developed an issue with the crown. It's always been buttery smooth and I'm careful to stop screwing it down at the point of resistance, and not to over-tighten it. But yesterday - after winding and setting it, both of which functions were fine - the crown suddenly felt very stiff and resistant on closing. I nervously undid and redid it a few times and it seemed to get worse; now there's enough resistance to discourage me from even trying.

The watch mechanism itself appears fine. It just seems like a crown / thread issue.

Obviously it's under warranty. I was wondering, is this the kind of thing that Rolex St James's might be able to attend to if I wander in? It would be good not to have to be without it.

Cross thread?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Cross thread?
    Feels like that. But it seems strange, given [1] that the crown itself seems so robust and [2] that I am a careful sort...

Process of elimination, if the hands are setting correctly, if it seems to wind smoothly we're left with cross thread or a contaminant between the crown and the crown tube, either way I'd have it looked at ASAP.

BTW I'm no watch maker so other opinions are available, good luck.

Master
    Indeed. Was just wondering whether it's optimistic to think that this might be attended to while-u-wait at St James's. But I realise that that depends on the issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Indeed. Was just wondering whether it's optimistic to think that this might be attended to while-u-wait at St James's. But I realise that that depends on the issue.
    I'd far rather they did a proper job, to be honest. No idea what the issue is but I'd be surprised if they could diagnose and fix while-u-wait.

Master
    I had this with one of my watches.

Turned out to be something on the crown tube, I merely blew hard on the unscrewed crown which shifted it and crown screwed in ok. Worth a try at least.

Blog Entries
    You can try to clean the thread with this.

Blog Entries
    I’d take it into St James’s where they could advise on the spot, if they could fix it on the spot. I had something similar with a SD4K and they turned it around quickly (week or two I forget) under warranty and also tweaked the timing on request.

I wouldn’t leave it though - in case of further thread damage. Good luck.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’d take it into St James’s where they could advise on the spot, if they could fix it on the spot. I had something similar with a SD4K and they turned it around quickly (week or two I forget) under warranty and also tweaked the timing on request.

I wouldn’t leave it though - in case of further thread damage. Good luck.
    Thanks Martyn, and all who posted. I went to St James's this morning and ... they fixed it on the spot, and in what was honestly about two minutes. The receptionist tried the crown and said "ooh that's not right", which vindicated the effort to get there. So it went out the back for assessment. Before I'd finished completing the form required if it had to be left the watch was back: they'd removed some obstruction / grit on the thread, checked the seals, and re-lubed it, assuring that there was no harm done. A big relief.

As an aside, she said that they were about to have a big refurb in there in the course of which they'll install viewing windows into the lab.

Master
    viewing windows? ooooo. i wonder, is that just to see your watch being worked on...or any? the queue of WIS will be right around the park when that opens!

Great news. And that’s why people love rolex, you can’t fault the after service.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    viewing windows? ooooo. i wonder, is that just to see your watch being worked on...or any?
    Apparently there being installed so you can see your warranty cards out the back, okay bad joke.. sounds interesting though, not sure I could concentrate working on a watch while a crowd stare at me like a gorilla in the zoo..