closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: At what point do you bite down and decide you can't hold off that watch anymore???

At what point do you bite down and decide you can't hold off that watch anymore???

So after missing out on a buying my grail watch years ago thinking ah I'll get it next year only to see them rise and rise and rise in price, my stubbornness always had me saying 'I'll buy one when the price drops!'.

I'm finding myself constantly looking and thinking I should pull the trigger now on what I consider to be my all time fav watch which I know I'd never have any intention of letting go (thats the plan anyway).

Is it time I got my act together and realise it's time to get what I should of years ago...

Yes, it's a Rolex GMT, I always preferred the earlier models (16710) but I would happily of gone for the BLNR model only to see they have shot up in price again lol...

Blog Entries
    Normally about half a second after trying them on!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Sometimes I don’t even make it to trying it on, just gets purchased lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sometimes I don’t even make it to trying it on, just gets purchased lol

Haha, classic...

i can take my time to decide....

Master
    It depends, sometime it is almost straight away, but I do try to atleast sleep on it!

I have an ever growing wish list.
    As soon as one on the list pops up at a price I am happy with I tend to buy.
    My rational is that I can move it on without loosing much.
    The problem is I tend not to sell.

I think I can sympathise a lot with you here.
    You just want to buy a Rolex model from AD at MSRP.
    You are not asking for discount or any special treatment. Just buying an expensive watch with your hard earned cash.

You want to buy it from the AD as not only you want to experience the pleasure of buying Rolex but also to build a purchase history with them so that you will be regarded as one of the regular.

It's just madness that current situation we are in.
    Not only we have to save up for an expensive watch but also must be one of the privilege few to be selected.

Rant over.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    You are not asking for discount or any special treatment. Just buying an expensive watch with your hard earned cash.

You want to buy it from the AD as not only you want to experience the pleasure of buying Rolex but also to build a purchase history with them so that you will be regarded as one of the regular.

Not only we have to save up for an expensive watch but also must be one of the privilege few to be selected.

Rant over.

Yeah I’m not a massive fan of the current buying process but at some point if I want it, prices aren’t going to drop so I’m going to have to pay over RRP on a new one, but I’d rather have a older model, tbh I should if bought that model back in 2014 for about £4500 when I had the chance, bloody lesson learnt in stubbornness the hard way lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Buying anything you want is fine, you earned the money, so spend it how you want.

The only caveat is don't join the league of fools who have to sell it quickly, and often at a loss, because the central heating boiler blew up.

Rant over.
    All well and good but hardly relevant here (or worth taking the thread down that route yet again!); the OP’s grail watch (16710) hasn’t been available new from an AD for at least the past ten years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Buying anything you want is fine, you earned the money, so spend it how you want.

The only caveat is don't join the league of fools who have to sell it quickly, and often at a loss, because the central heating boiler blew up.
    I have BG boiler cover lol...

Just drives me mad knowing I'm effectively going to have to double what I could of spent back in 2013 I think it was, still hurts lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Just drives me mad knowing I'm effectively going to have to double what I could of spent back in 2013 I think it was, still hurts lol...
    At least; I paid £3,500 for a 16710 in 2013.

The GMTs do seem to have increased more than the other models too, certainly more than the 16610.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    At least; I paid £3,500 for a 16710 in 2013.

Just keep kicking me Dave lol...

Just keep kicking me Dave lol...
    Sorry Marty, it’s not intentional. I think most of us have been there, I certainly have.

16570 for £2k. I eventually paid £3.5k for one. Refusal to pay £2.5k for a 14270 or best still, £3k for a Zenith Daytona.

I feel your pain but NOW is almost always the best time to buy!

Rant over.

I concur.

Master
    Yes, we all want to buy at retail, but we also hope that the watch will hold or gain value. If a watch is generally available that won’t happen.
    So which is it? Readily available supply or solid residuals. You can’t have both.
    Incidentally, if there’s a genuine trade war between the US and China, prices of luxury watches will fall. And that includes Rolex.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th May 2019 at 09:43.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yes, we all want to buy at retail, but we also hope that the watch will hold or gain value. If a watch is generally available that won’t happen.
    So which is it? Readily available supply or solid residuals. You can’t have both.
    Incidentally, if there’s a genuine trade war between the US and China, prices of luxury watches will fall. And that includes Rolex.
    What makes you think a trade war would affect Rolex prices???

I'm torn on whether I should pull the trigger now, or come back in another 5 years time moaning about being able to buy one at £8k lol...

Master

I’m no economist, but a major trade war causes recession , demand for luxury goods falls , including luxury watches. Have a look at what happened in 2008. It’s a delusion that prices always rise. I’m not saying that will happen, but it certainly could, and quickly.
    Buy watches because you like them and want to own them. Not as a source of wealth.

I’m no economist, but a major trade war causes recession , demand for luxury goods falls , including luxury watches. Have a look at what happened in 2008. It’s a delusion that prices always rise. I’m not saying that will happen, but it certainly could, and quickly.
    Buy watches because you like them and want to own them. Not as a source of wealth.
    Thanks mate.

Blog Entries

I'm torn on whether I should pull the trigger now, or come back in another 5 years time moaning about being able to buy one at £8k lol...
    Hasn’t that £8K ship sailed some time ago?

As others have said. The right time to buy is NOW, buy to enjoy not so much to invest. Though it’s a nice thing if your asset appreciates.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rant over.

To be fair I collected a watch this weekend, didn't even get a carrier bag for the box. As it was an non professional piece, I was however able to walk in place a deposit and wait for it to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hasn’t that £8K ship sailed some time ago?

As others have said. The right time to buy is NOW, buy to enjoy not so much to invest. Though it’s a nice thing if your asset appreciates.
    I was meaning a nice 16710 now at £8k, in about 5 years time god knows what they'll be...

At what point do you bite down and decide you can't hold off that watch anymore???

When you're in your local, on your 4ᵗʰ pint and realise that the last Voyager from the 2ᶮᵈ batch will likely soon be gone . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    When you finally accept that prices are not coming back down anytime soon.....

I keep passing on this. Surprising feels absolutely fab on the wrist but just can’t bring myself to splash the £££

Master
    I must admit I'm fairly ruthless in my approach. Financially everything else needs to be taken care of with appropriate contingency. I then need to be confident I'm not buying the watch as a comfort blanket to quick fix other life issue (because it never works). Then I'm good to go sometimes opportunistically picking one up of the forum, or more often than not exploring, searching, reading and hunting. For me the process is as much fun as the event of owning the watch!

I’m no economist

but a major trade war causes recession , demand for luxury goods falls , including luxury watches. Have a look at what happened in 2008. It’s a delusion that prices always rise.I’m not saying that will happen, but it certainly could, and quickly.
    Yes, sometimes they simply hold steady. Before rising again.

Master
    The chart you quote doesn’t factor in general inflation.
    Over twenty years , virtually everything shot up in price (but not value). And the future doesn’t endlessly repeat the past. Especially with luxury goods.

Me, when I buy a watch, I assume the money has gone. Safer that way.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th June 2019 at 20:14.

Craftsman
    I usually analyse the decision to death and for so long that the opportunity usually passes and in some frustrating instances the watch simply becomes unobtainable! rinse ane repeat. i frustrate myself so much!

A Tudor Snowflake has been on my wish list for maybe the last five years. I finally bit the bullet this month and paid probably three times the price from when I decided I wanted one.

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

I could have had an Explorer 1 new from an AD at a place I holiday at yearly for £3,800 three years ago. Two or three weeks ago I bought the same watch for the current going rate from SC obviously used.

Hindsight is 20:20 but better to think you paid a strong price now than wish you'd bought it in 2019 when it's 2022 etc...

I have come to a few different answers in regard to this, and they have ended up different ways.

• Being a Lemania collector I always wanted an EZM1, but other 5100s were just so much more available and sensibly priced. Eventually I decided I could wait no longer, and I found a good one after the market had risen a bit, but at just under £2k for one of the last pre-LE ones, with EZM1 rubber and SEL bracelet too, it was reasonably priced at the time. Prices have since doubled, but my EZM1 is going nowhere.
    • Having admired Bremont for a while I saw they were gaining traction and I bought an ALT1-P blue used on Ebay a long while back. Now it is probably worth exactly what I paid for it, even though it is better made than many other watches worth a lot more.
    • I always thought of the 16710 as the only Rolex I wanted, as for Subs I always had Tudors (3 so far, one still with me). However, prices got silly just before I started putting my budget together, so I came to the conclusion that I would not buy one. Eventually I bought a 16570 instead, which was excellent value by comparison. However, it wasn't what I wanted and I sold it, for what I paid for it, by which time 16710s had gone up another 30% and still continue to rise since. Thankfully Tudor released the BB GMT and I bought a very credible alternative to the 16710, and anyway, I would never feel comfortable with that much real estate on my wrist.

Dave

Craftsman
    Tried a Yachtmaster on about 12 years ago in Dubai , got the dealer down to a very good price, hesitation made me walk away.

Last year bought a Rhodium dial version for nearly three times the price.

Still kick myself.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If it’s a 16710 you’re after then the best time to buy is now since you can’t crank back time.
    They may hold but they’re unlikely to drop and at the moment they are still rising.

Crash forecasting is is pointless on out of production models because you can’t get them new and if you want them you pay, or you go buy something else.

Recessions do not affect the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Recessions do not affect the wealthy.
    They do affect speculators though, and a lot of the current boom is attributed to them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    That's wise