closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this one of the most iconic Zenith models.....

Is this one of the most iconic Zenith models.....

I’ve owned this version of the Zenith Rainbow quite a few times now, I had actually bought one brand new in the late 90’s and there is something about it that keeps bringing me back. This particular Zenith Rainbow is the Flyback version which was specifically commissioned for the French Airforce in the 90’s. It’s built like a tank and is a proper tool watch with no polished areas and an impressive secure double lock bracelet. I own a Rolex Daytona and IMHO this model is an equal to the early El Primero Daytona but clearly doesn’t share its appreciation or residual values. The Zenith Flyback has excellent lume, the readability is superb and on the wrist it looks both distinctive and sublime. I think the only reason I sold the previous ones I had was because I thought at 40mm it was too small but I’m actually starting to get fed up of oversize watches and beginning to comeback to smaller models....perhaps it’s a sign that I’m getting old!
    Excuse my rubbish fence post pictures, I would love to see the pictures someone like Tony (Learningtofly) could take of this model.

Here’s a few pics from the web that show the beauty of this model far better than I can;

Last edited by shalako; 28th May 2019 at 13:44.

Master
    As you say their value is not appreciating but as a piece of horological importance the El Primero is an unbelievable watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely a Zenith classic Steve.

mine says Hi

I had this one for many years, it was a little small for my wrist but such great colour contrast and preferred this to the all black version, sold it on.... as you do......

This watch shows how much value and bang for buck you can still get if you look beyond the R brand. This has always been on my list to try actually - the combination of colour plus rock solid build is excellent. One of my favourite El Primero's (along with the De Luca...) because the sizing is spot on relative to the movement. Over 40mm doesn't work for me and El Primero.

Love these, they're a great size too.

Is this one of the most iconic Zenith models.....

This was my “grail” for a long time some years back.
    I still love the looks, and colour, but have grown to user stand what I like and dislike in the nuances of watches, and I ended up falling out with the lug shape, and have decided I cannot live with a date at 4 o’clock.

Still an awesome watch, and really striking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the fact it has a telemeter scale rather than the more usual tachymeter scale.

Master
    As above, love the Colours and the history.
    Can’t get past those cob-shaped lugs though !
    Ditto the date window.
    P.S. Lovely Reverso !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Big fan of Zenith myself and whilst not for my collection, it is an awesome watch you have there, not surprised you keep coming back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    I had this one for many years, it was a little small for my wrist but such great colour contrast and preferred this to the all black version, sold it on.... as you do......

How big is your wrist? If that's too small lm guessing you're huge?

Master
    Superb watch. Have always liked the colours on it. Regret not buying one some years back. Don’t see many around and even fewer for sale.

Craftsman
    I bought one NOS in 2007 with warranty. Cool watch.

Sent to Zenith for warranty service and it came back in great shape

Really under the radar for what it was in terms of its history and it`s El Primero heritage.

I sold it on a whim and regret it now. I want one back now!

Master
    Lovely watch, I tried the modern equivalent on but the proportions did not seem as spot on as the original.
    How old is it Steve? Watch out for magpies on that fence post of yours

Blog Entries
    Great watches. I had one, sent to LVMH for a service & after about 8 months and several returns it came back tip top ...

but (for some reason I cannot remember ) I traded it in ... for another El Primero...

z

Absolute classic and something I would definitely love in my collection. I do like the ‘reissue’ but for me, this is a perfect size. Enjoy Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Lovely watch, I tried the modern equivalent on but the proportions did not seem as spot on as the original.
    How old is it Steve? Watch out for magpies on that fence post of yours
    Would like to know that too but as the warranty card is undated it’s hard to know the age exactly, the original seller of this watch on SC thinks it’s probably around 2001/2002. I would love to find a NOS example, I wonder if there’s any out there? I looked at the newer 45mm Stratos version but for me it lacks the charm and character of the original.

Yes, I would say so. One of the most desirable watches from the Zenith stable.

Love this watch, and its black and white sibling. Always thought they were good value for money for a fly back chrono with the pedigree of the El Primero - although it seems prices have been creeping up of late.

The black and white version is firmly on my “dream” list.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Great watches. I had one, sent to LVMH for a service & after about 8 months and several returns it came back tip top ...

but (for some reason I cannot remember ) I traded it in ... for another El Primero...

z
    It looks amazing on that Green nato strap, need to try that....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite often wear mine on a green suede strap

Lovely watch interesting horologically too
    Bit of colour always nice

Master
    Blog Entries
    And one week later the OP sells it.

I'm going to start a thread about the virtues of 4 bedroom bungalows in readiness!

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    And one week later the OP sells it.

I'm going to start a thread about the virtues of 4 bedroom bungalows in readiness!
    Perhaps I deserved the criticism but even though I reluctantly parted with the Rainbow Flyback I still believe it to be one of Zenith’s most iconic models. However I had a chance to buy back my Zenith Doublematic - which I always said I would to the guy I ‘loaned it to’ and needed the funds as the Doublematic is a very expensive Zenith.
    I only wish I had unlimited funds and could keep everything as seems to be the case for some here, very pleased however to have this one back on the wrist. Incredibly it features world time, Chrono, Big date, mechanical alarm, power reserve for the alarm and has twin barrels, it even has incredible lume.

.... and a pic from the web as we all know I don’t take good pictures.

Last edited by shalako; 28th May 2019 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Perhaps I deserved the criticism but even though I reluctantly parted with the Rainbow Flyback I still believe it to be one of Zenith’s most iconic models. However I had a chance to buy back my Zenith Doublematic however - which I always said I would to the guy I ‘loaned it to’ and needed the funds as the Doublematic is a very expensive Zenith.
    I only wish I had unlimited funds and could keep everything as seems to be the case for some here, very pleased however to have this one back on the wrist. Incredibly it features world time, Chrono, Big date, mechanical alarm, power reserve for the alarm and has twin barrels, it even has incredible lume.

The doublematic is a brilliant watch, and often overlooked due to its bit price tag (and perhaps size, although it wears well on a smaller wrist).
    You'd be hard pressed to find something with same level of complication at the same price point.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    The doublematic is a brilliant watch, and often overlooked due to its bit price tag (and perhaps size, although it wears well on a smaller wrist).
    You'd be hard pressed to find something with same level of complication at the same price point.
    I can’t actually think of another watch which offers all these complications, I also really appreciate a see through back as well, the El Primero movement deserves to be seen.